The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-14-2017, 07:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The concert was fantastic although I wish she would have dropped New Orleans and Crying in the Night for some of her other songs like Talk To Me or Rooms on Fire which she seems to forget exist. I know New Orleans is timely right now given the two horrid hurricanes but as a song it just doesn't work for me. Her voice has never sounded better. Sadly I had to leave at the start of Rhiannon as someone behind me started smoking mary jane which triggered an asthma attack.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Mini Review

I'm pretty tired since I didn't get home until 2 in the morning and had to be in class at 9. I also have to go to work soon, but I thought I would post a short review of last night. Stevie was absolutely fantastic! This was my third and final show of this tour, and I swear Stevie gets stronger every show! Vanessa was great too. She has a beautiful voice. Stevie really gave it her all last night. Gold Dust Woman was out of this world! She flubbed a few lyrics on a couple songs, but haha she's Stevie. Her stories were as adorable as ever. My favorite being when she was going on and on about Game of Thrones and just all of the sudden made a "dragon noise" There was a very beautiful moment when she talked about helping the hurricane victims. Also another lucky fan got a handshake during Edge. My seats were 5th row, but a group of people in 3rd left right when Edge started so I took my chances lol. Glad I did because during the Edge walk I waved at her when she got to my section and she looked at me, smiled, and waved back! Only downside was the unavoidable pot smell and the drunk guy that kept disobeying security. All in all, a fantastic and emotional night that I'm thankful I got to experience!

Last edited by 24karatstevie; 09-14-2017 at 02:33 PM..
Old 09-14-2017, 02:40 PM

Stevie Nicks gives a chatty, career-defining set during Family Arena concert

It wasn't “Stevie Nicks’ Storytellers” Wednesday night at the Family Arena in St. Charles, thought it may as well have been.

The classic rock singer brought her “24 Karat Gold Tour” to town for a night of music and conversation, nearly equal parts both, during the two-hour concert opened by Vanessa Carlton.

Dressed naturally in her flowing all-black ensemble and bearing her tambourine draped with colorful scarfs, Nicks delivered a career-spanning set of songs, mixing obvious solo hits like “Edge of Seventeen” and “Stand Back” and Fleetwood Mac songs like “Gypsy” and “Landslide” with a few lost gems from her “gothic trunk of lost songs.”

There were also a couple of full homages to her old departed friend Prince.

Nicks came in great voice, her golden instrument seemingly unravaged by years of drug use she spoke on, and judging by the audience, her appeal looked as widespread as ever (her appearing on “American Horror Story” surely opened her up to new fans).

After early songs “Gold and Braid” and “If Anyone Fall,” she told fans this particular tour was her favorite of all because of the stories about the songs she’d deliver, and that’s where the show for some may have taken a detour.

Stories behind the songs can be a riveting thing when told compellingly. Nicks, while having led a most colorful career and life, maybe isn’t the best at talking about it. While she’s personable and natural on stage, her chats were often long-winded, and at times the songs’ intros and outros were as long as the songs themselves.

She said some fans were probably wondering “Is this Music 101? Did we actually walk into a college somewhere?” Seemingly, yes.

Even the band members came with their own stories, which late in the show before the glorious encore of “Rhiannon” and “Landslide” felt like too much.

“Aren’t you glad I don’t have a bigger band,” she said in another self-aware moment.

Her longest tale came just before the crowd-pleasing “Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around” and “Bella Fleur” (one of her songs from the vault from her “Bella Donna” sessions). She talked about the creation of the “Bella Donna” album and detailed her taking a break from Fleetwood Mac to record it, wanting to be one of Tom Petty’s Heartbreakers, meeting and moving in with producer Jimmy Iovine and initially lacking a single on the finished album. Much of that was recently covered to great acclaim in the Iovine/Dr. Dre documentary series “The Defiant Ones” on HBO.

Introducing the song “Wild Heart” from “The Wild Heart” album, she explained how its success was validating for her, proving her previous success from the “Bella Donna” album wasn’t a fluke. Her performance of “Bella Donna” followed, and as a special treat to fans, she wore the original blue cape from that era she said cost $2,000, much to her mother’s chagrin.

She updated the meaning behind the song “New Orleans,” a song she wrote in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. Now, with all the hurricanes pummeling the U.S. and beyond recently, she says the song is about hurricanes in general. “This song will stand for all hurricanes.” She added “I’m not preaching, but please just send a little bit of money. We’re here and we’re not wet. We’re not getting blown off the stage.”

“Gypsy” came with her famous twirl, a signature move that helps complete any Nicks concert, and was as welcome as ever. “Starshine was another song from the vault. She said “Moonlight (A Vampire’s Dream”) inspired by the “Twilight” vampire series, reinvigorated her spirit for recording.

Her love for Prince was clear; she spoke at length about their friendship, their hours-long telephone conversations, his telling her to slow down on her drug use, and their initial meeting when he barely spoke to her. “He’s still protecting me,” she said before performing the still-electric blast of “Stand Back.”

She donned a gold shawl for “Gold Dust Woman,” as various images of Prince flashed on the screen behind her.

The near tour-de-force Nicks and her band gave showed that just like Fleetwood Mac, there’s no stopping her anytime soon.

“A Thousand Miles” singer Carlton’s set included songs from her latest album “Liberman” including “River” and “Blue Pool.” She said she album was inspired by the painting that served as the backdrop behind her of three women in various stages of undress.

More pictures here: http://www.stltoday.com/entertainmen...a13b24129.html