User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Tough thread and also unrealistic. We are extreme fans on this board but we must not forget probably represent 10% of the audience in concert. Most people would be upset if Dreams and other big hits were not performed.
But I will play along. I would say most of the songs played live could be retired and I would be happy. Fleetwood Mac is probably the most ritualistic band to play live. We all know Dreams is going to follow the Chain and Go Your Own Way closes the show, etc. My dream setlist would have very few "hits."
Here are some songs I wish were dropped from the set

Dreams

Rhiannon - I know its a staple but Stevie sings flat now and cant hit high notes. It used to be almost like an exorcism live but has NONE of the passion it once did.

Gypsy - missing the passion and not a fan of the "hey hey's...say hey hey now"

Never Going Back Again

Big Love - it was cool on the Dance tour though. Time to refresh it or drop it

Sisters of the moon - the condensed version they play now is an insult to the song. Let it live. Plus Stevie has little passion and the 'siiiisssters' is sung because she cant hit the high notes.
Agreed, 100%
Old 06-06-2016, 10:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Don't Stop

Crystallineknowledge
Dedicated to Stevie.
Old 06-06-2016, 10:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Highwayman View Post
None.

I'm far more concerned with the songs the band should bring back to their set list or play for the first time, i.e. 'Fireflies', 'That's Alright', 'Hold Me', 'Crystal', 'Storms', 'Love in Store', 'Think About Me', 'Monday Morning', etc.
But how many times can a person hear GYOW and still have respect for themselves? That song is pretty old now........ Sorry.....
Old 06-06-2016, 01:56 PM
Junior Ledgie

Really cool thread. I'd definitely say "Rhiannon" and "Dreams" for the reasons stated above. I would give up any 2 Christine songs to get "Why" and "Spare Me A Little" back. Those two fit Chris's older voice much better than "Everywhere" or "Little Lies". Would also love to see "Warm Ways" make an appearance.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree Dreams and Gypsy should go. Gypsy was the one big disappointment for me when I last saw them. I can't see them ever dropping their sole US #1 though so Dreams definitely won't go.
I think they should retire I'm So Afraid and develop another song to fill its place. I think they should drop I Know I'm Not Wrong and bring in another Lindsey 'toilet break song' (not a toilet break for me but it is in general). Probably a good idea to bring something else in in place of Over My Head too.

If I was to guess at 5 songs they would actually 'retire' to make way for new material I'd go for;

Gypsy
I Know I'm Not Wrong
Never Going Back Again
Over My Head
Sisters of the Moon
Old 06-06-2016, 02:49 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*BellaDonna*~ View Post
But how many times can a person hear GYOW and still have respect for themselves? That song is pretty old now........ Sorry.....
So songs, even great ones, have an expiration date? Well, then I'd better get rid of every single album I have. Shame... I'll never get to hear my #1 favorite song of all time, 'Wouldn't It Be Nice' by the Beach Boys, anymore as it was released way back in 1966 and I've heard it so many times it boggles the mind.

I've listened to Rumours and Tusk and Mirage, and on the solo side, Bella Donna, so many times out of a deep love for the incredible songs that grace these albums.
And it amazes me to see so many pick 'Dreams' as a song that the band needs to drop from their live concerts. I've listened to 'Dreams' so many times since I became a FM/Stevie fanatic 18 years ago, that my heart now only beats in tune with John McVie's infamous bass line. I can hear 'Dreams' a googleplex more times, but I'll never tire of what is my favorite FM song second only to 'Gypsy'.
Add on to that, 'Dreams' was the first time that, as a little boy sitting in the back seat of a car some of 30-odd years ago, I ever heard Stevie Nicks' voice. I was attracted to it even then, just as now, as a card-carrying member of the church of Stevie. Drop 'Dreams'? I'd rather drop my left arm, and I'm left handed.

"No one ever leaves, everyone stays close 'till the fire fades..."

Last edited by The Highwayman; 06-06-2016 at 02:51 PM..
Old 06-06-2016, 03:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
There are certainly songs I could do without hearing live again. GYOW certainly isn't one of them though. I don't think I could ever tire of listening to it. I guess I have no self-respect- I'll have to live with that.

old doesn't mean bad (thank goodness).
Old 06-06-2016, 03:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
There are certainly songs I could do without hearing live again. GYOW certainly isn't one of them though. I don't think I could ever tire of listening to it. I guess I have no self-respect- I'll have to live with that.

old doesn't mean bad (thank goodness).
I'm such a burnt little piece of toast when in comes to GYOW. Sorry for offending you, FuzzyPlum.
Old 06-06-2016, 04:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm such a burnt little piece of toast when in comes to GYOW. Sorry for offending you, FuzzyPlum.

Oh, no worries- I'm certainly not offended.
Did you listen to the 'breakdown of GYOW' in the other thread recently? I find it so amazing there are still things to hear for the first time on that song when you scratch below the surface.
Old 06-06-2016, 04:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
No need to apologise.
Ha! Well I shouldn't have apologised really but I know a lot of people go mad for Big Love live
Old 06-06-2016, 05:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Rhiannon and Dreams are the worst offenders in being tired and just going through the motions.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 06-06-2016, 06:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
Rhiannon and Dreams are the worst offenders in being tired and just going through the motions.
I agree with this, and also Landslide. If I never heard that song again, that would be just fine.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:17 PM
Senior Ledgie

Don't Stop, World Turning, and I'm So Afraid. Lindsey could have his big moment with either Tango In The Night or Murrow Turning In His Grave replacing I'm So Afraid. It's enough already.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Oh, no worries- I'm certainly not offended.
Did you listen to the 'breakdown of GYOW' in the other thread recently? I find it so amazing there are still things to hear for the first time on that song when you scratch below the surface.
The breakdown of GYOW was incredible, particularly for me John's bass parts and Lindsey's stripped down vocals......it is a shame he more or less shouts this now on stage....if he could sing this live now closer to this breakdown/original it would be sublime
Old 06-06-2016, 07:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sands of time View Post
Don't Stop, World Turning, and I'm So Afraid. Lindsey could have his big moment with either Tango In The Night or Murrow Turning In His Grave replacing I'm So Afraid. It's enough already.
Agreed, pull I'm So Afraid ( and for me Big Love) and have Lindsey new a different big moment solo....Tango in the night would definitely be great

Last edited by Angel75; 06-06-2016 at 07:21 PM.. Reason: Spelling