Old 05-26-2013, 10:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Don't Stop byHarlJHogg

Never Going Back Again
by guavasnout

Dreams by creepingelm

Old 05-26-2013, 10:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for posting these vids! That SS was awesome! SO glad she's doing the animated "never get away, never get away, never get away" at the end again. This version may override my previous fav from the SYW tour.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Los Angeles Times [click for photos]
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,1865349.story

Review: Fleetwood Mac lights a fire at Hollywood Bowl

By Mikael Wood May 26, 2013, 3:19 p.m.

Only a band as famously twisted as Fleetwood Mac would follow an exhortation to “get this party started” with a song as bleakly imagined as “Dreams.” That’s the indelible 1977 smash in which Stevie Nicks warns a capricious lover about hearing “the sound of your loneliness like a heartbeat,” and Saturday night at the Hollywood Bowl, Fleetwood Mac performed it near the beginning of a sold-out concert that Nicks said represented the group’s happy homecoming after several weeks spent on the road.

The long-running pop-rock outfit, which formed as a London blues band in 1967 but didn’t attain superstardom until it later relocated to L.A. and hired Nicks and singer-guitarist Lindsey Buckingham, is halfway through a three-month North American tour; it’s to play Anaheim’s Honda Center on Tuesday, then circle back to Staples Center on July 3.

Yet if Saturday’s show was intended to start a party, as Nicks declared, Fleetwood Mac hardly had good times on its mind. Rounded out by drummer Mick Fleetwood and bassist John McVie (along with five auxiliary musicians), the group sounded sharper and more aggressive -- simply louder too -- than it had in years as it tore through old songs such as “Gold Dust Woman” and “The Chain,” in which Buckingham growled, “Damn your love / Damn your lies,” over grinding electric guitar.

As with “Dreams,” both tunes came from the band’s blockbuster album “Rumours,” which famously caught the romantic turmoil then raging among various members of the group (including McVie’s ex-wife Christine, who quit in 1998). At the Bowl, though, Fleetwood Mac stripped the songs of the soft-rock sheen that helped drive “Rumours” to sales of nearly 20 million copies; it was exposing the desperation that simmers beneath the catchy choruses.

In “Second Hand News,” Buckingham strummed his guitar so hard that he had trouble restraining himself to the song’s already-brisk tempo. And though Nicks, who turned 65 on Sunday, has lost some of her high notes to age, she used her imperious drone to accentuate the drama in “Silver Springs.”

The 2½-hour set roamed beyond “Rumours” to Fleetwood Mac’s self-titled 1975 album (its first with Buckingham and Nicks) for “Landslide” and “Rhiannon”; to early-’80s hits such as “Gypsy” and Nicks’ solo “Stand Back”; and to “Tusk,” the willfully experimental “Rumours” follow-up that Buckingham admitted must have confounded executives at the band’s record label.

For “Not That Funny,” he bore down on his guitar, cranking out crunchy punk chords; later, Nicks roughed up her delivery in “Sisters of the Moon,” which she said the band hadn’t played onstage since 1981.

Fleetwood Mac also did two cuts from a new EP it released last month, the group’s first studio output since “Say You Will” in 2003. “Sad Angel” was a crisp power-pop tune with echoes of 1987’s “Tango in the Night,” while Nicks described the strummy “Without You” as a recently rediscovered remnant from her and Buckingham’s days as a duo. Both were received with surprising enthusiasm by the audience -- more warmly, for sure, than the Rolling Stones’ new songs were last week at Staples Center.

Before “Sad Angel,” Buckingham said that Fleetwood Mac had more fresh material but that the band wasn’t sure how to release it.

Despite its rawness, the music wasn’t uninterested in arena-rock grandeur. To introduce “Gold Dust Woman,” Fleetwood banged an enormous gong, and the drummer took a lengthy, parody-skirting solo in “World Turning.” Nicks too was taking advantage of the Bowl’s large stage, twirling with her trademark scarves in a beautiful and vicious rendition of “Sara.”

Occasionally, the show could’ve done with more polish, as in a dirge-like “I’m So Afraid” and “Dreams,” where Nicks’ and Buckingham’s harmony vocals felt unhinged in the wrong way. (They recovered in time for the pinpoint precision of “Never Going Back Again.”)

But for the most part, the live-wire intensity -- and often the outright crankiness -- Fleetwood Mac mustered enabled the band to add new meaning to songs that might have seemed to have told their stories already. “You should see me now,” Nicks sang in a line she appended to “Gold Dust Woman,” and for a night at least that was within reach.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^I don't agree with the term "vicious rendition of Sara".

There's loss and lushness, but really no anger in that song and no pounding beat. I don't know where "vicious" comes from.

Michele
Old 05-26-2013, 10:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Leavenworth Times, May 26, 2013 by Garon Cockrell
http://www.leavenworthtimes.com/arti...LOGS/305269990

Concert Review: Fleetwood Mac LIVE @ The Hollywood Bowl May 25, 2013

Last night at the world famous Hollywood Bowl in Southern California the classic line-up of Fleetwood Mac took the stage for a night of hits, deep album cuts and even a couple of new songs.

At this stage in their career the band could almost be named like a "law firm" of "Buckingham, Nicks, McVie & Fleetwood" because this current entity is equal in every way. Mick and John hold down the rhythm section like 2 guys who have been playing together for almost 50 years (because they have been!) while Stevie and Lindsey bring the songs, harmonies and guitar playing.

And while we're on the subject of guitar playing... Lindsey Buckingham is without a doubt the most underrated guitar player of all-time!! His picking style is like no one else I have ever seen or heard. Whether he's playing his acoustic guitar with angelic precision on songs like "Never Going Back Again" and "Landslide" or rocking a demon on "Big Love" and "I'm So Afraid" Buckingham puts every ounce of his being into his performance and is truly the guiding force behind this great band.

Stevie Nicks was in great voice. The cold night air may have made the twirling front woman a little chilly but had absolutely no effect on her performance. Highlights included "Sara," "Gypsy" and "Silver Springs."

Credit should also be given to the additional four touring band members: guitarist Neale Heywood, keyboardist Brett Tuggle and Stevie's longtime backing vocalists Lori Perry Nicks and Sharon Celani. Their contribution to the live show helped enrich the band's performance and fill the gap left by the now retired Christine McVie.

It should be noted that it has now been 15 years since Christine McVie retired from the band.

Since then the group has forged ahead with 1 new studio album, "Say You Will," and 1 brand new "EP" and the current tour is their 3rd as a quartet. McVie's harmonies and lead vocals on songs such as "Over My Head," "You Make Loving Fun" and " Say You Love Me" are missed, but the band continues to please fans with their LIVE performances and, as indicated last night by Mr. Buckingham, has no intention of stopping anytime soon.

I'm already looking ahead to 2017 when the band will most likely tour for the 40th anniversary of their multiplatinum "Rumours" album and maybe - just maybe - Christine will join them too.

Drumroll please... 9 out of 10 drumsticks!!!
Old 05-26-2013, 11:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
^I don't agree with the term "vicious rendition of Sara".

There's loss and lushness, but really no anger in that song and no pounding beat. I don't know where "vicious" comes from.
I was thinking the exact same thing. Another confusing sentence for me:
Despite its rawness, the music wasn’t uninterested in arena-rock grandeur.
The music wasn't uninterested??? WTF does that mean?
Old 05-26-2013, 11:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Despite its rawness, the music wasn’t uninterested in arena-rock grandeur.
The music wasn't uninterested??? WTF does that mean?
There goes that music putting on airs of grandeur again, when it knows good and well it's from the poor side of the tracks.

Michele
Old 05-27-2013, 09:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Hilarious commentary on us Fleetwood Mac fans by two young 20 somethings.
Comments are from 38 seconds to 2:58.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Silver Springs was awesome!!! Thanks

You got a sweet heart
Never will you be replaced
Old 05-27-2013, 12:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Sister's of the Moon

by creepingelm

Almost the entire song. Stevie changes many of the words. Just what is she saying?

Old 05-27-2013, 12:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Sad Angel by creepinglem

Dreams by HarlJHogg

Landslide by Rachel Aiko

Last edited by vivfox; 05-27-2013 at 12:47 PM..
Old 05-27-2013, 03:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This show was great. I had managed for the most part to stay away from video/audio recordings this tour so while I knew they were going to do Sisters, I didn't know the arrangement and loved it and like a few others I hated the new Never Going Back Again - completely drains the life out of that song. Favorites for me from the show were Sara, Sisters, Tusk, and Say Goodbye (which was the best version of that song I've seen).

I did the Mick VIP package for this event and since others have well covered the concert - figured I'd talk about that. It was incredibly well done and for me, it was well worth the money. They told us to get there at 4:30 PM and right about that time someone from ground control came over and told everyone who was VIP to come check in and get their badge (a somewhat holographic badge that says Mick Fleetwood VIP and has the photo from his website). We were told after the soundcheck we would go into the audience and fill in the seats in the front where Mick would talk to us for a bit from the stage, then in our small group we'd go up to the stage, get our picture taken and then return to our seat. Then they would do the Q&A (during which Mick would sign things for us - we were to hand them all to our guide and he would take them up there to get them signed). Almost none of that happened. We waited for about an hour and they told us that the bowl has very strict rules about who can be on stage or even in the house when the doors open so we might be cut a little short and that we would have to exit and re-enter the venue when the doors officially open.

We walked in after the soundcheck and Mick greeted us with a Mic in hand - he had bronchitis so he told them he wanted all of us up on the stage for this one. We went up there and he spoke to us about how great this tour has been and the old days versus the new days (basically get more sleep and eat better) and how proud he is that the band has stayed together. Then they did photos - they were incredibly accommodating letting people do groups and singles and BOTH. Then they took all of our badges to get them all signed which I thought was a nice touch for folks who maybe didn't bring anything.

Once the photos were done he walked over to the side that those of us who had wrapped the photo session were standing at and began signing the badges. The folks running it were clearly worried about time but also great about making sure everyone got the photos they wanted and a signed badge. I decided to just ask my question and start off the Q&A and I'll get to the questions and what his answers were at the end. About halfway through signing the badges they said we had to be off the stage as they were about to open the doors. Mick suggested they take us to the back since only about three questions had been asked. We went behind the stage and hung out for 10 minutes more as he signed more badges and answered more questions when we were told that technically we still were considered on the stage by the Bowl so we had to leave. Mick again suggested moving the group so we went to where all the band cars drive up to backstage right as Kristen showed up who was surprised that Mick had such a fan entourage - he told her he does it every night and she again expressed her surprise. Finally he finished signing the badges, I gave him my Rumours 35th anniversary vinyl cover to sign which he did and others started handing him a bunch of stuff to sign. I asked my last question and moved on. Once it was done they took us to the gate to get our tickets taken for entry by which point the venue was mostly open.

Onto the Q&A, I asked the following (I asked one question each time we moved and then moved to the back of the pack to give others an opportunity - as a result I didn't hear too many of the other questions but thought it only fair):

1. Are there any songs they aren't performing that Mick wishes they were performing - anything he loves to play that they aren't doing? His answer was not really. He loves everything they play - at the end he added, maybe some of the blues stuff.

2. Any plans to remaster Mirage or Tango or release the 5.1 mix of Tusk? He thought THEY would do that before too long. The way he said it made it sound like he meant Warner Brothers would do that and not the band but that is completely just the way I am reading into his intonations.

3. Did they rehearse Frozen Love for this tour? He said they had not, but it probably would have been a good idea since that is what started it all and that was some of the stuff he heard all those years ago.

Some questions other folks asked:

1. Were there any hits that surprised them? Mick was very surprised when Albatross became a hit and felt it turned their blues audience upside down when it first came out.

2. Did he see the finished Sound City Documentary? He had and he enjoyed it.

3. Is Christine going to play with them in London? He said absolutely yes but not sure which show.

4. What was he proudest of in his career? Keeping the band together.

Haven't seen the pictures yet but it was a great show (GREAT show) and the VIP experience was awesome (edited to add the GroundCTRL people were great - despite it not going as they had planned due to the venue and Mick's illness, they still kept things very organized and tried to make sure everyone got their time and enjoyed the experience - I think our VIP guy was Neil or Nick (can't remember) but he was excellent).

"My songs don't get recorded unless I know they're really going to be good and I'm really going to like them ...so....but they are, you know, ultimately, slightly looney." -Stevie Nicks

Last edited by thepoetinmyhear; 05-27-2013 at 03:53 PM..
Old 05-27-2013, 04:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepoetinmyhear View Post
I did the Mick VIP package for this event and since others have well covered the concert - figured I'd talk about that. It was incredibly well done and for me, it was well worth the money.
loved reading your description and what an interesting and different experience from other shows!

for some reason, i have always loved checking out backstage, even though when you see it it's nothing special... but even as a little girl, backstage in theaters would always draw me in. so would have loved to experience what you described happened at your m&g.

standing on the stage and looking into the arena has probably been my favorite part of these meet&greets... and Bowl is such interesting venue, so that must have been even more special.

thanks again for describing your experience to us so vividly!

wish some of the people who were in Vancouver and Tacoma, when Lindsey was there at the start of Mick's meet and greet would describe what happened there too. these few m&gs seem to be the only ones that went somewhat off the script. all others were more or less the way grnd ctrl guy described to you upfront (i think?).

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-27-2013, 04:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepoetinmyhear View Post
I did the Mick VIP package for this event and since others have well covered the concert - figured I'd talk about that.
So, Mick has bronchitis. That can really linger. Hope he takes care. I liked reading the Frozen Love answer because I think Stevie's Without You introduction confuses people. So, it's nice to keep Frozen Love in mind.

Interesting about how the Bowl has strict rules as to who is on stage or even in the house before the show.

One thing I didn't like is that wooden partition they had in front of the stage with about 20 seats in it. It made actual seats at least 2 rows back from what they were listed as being on the ticket and it felt a little like a ripoff for me.

Thanks for the pre-show perspective. It's really fun to get these details.

Michele
Old 05-27-2013, 05:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Sister's of the Moon by Amy Louff

Without You by CreepingElm