Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-08-2018, 02:28 AM
Junior Ledgie

Default A Love That Burns - Rich Orlando

Can I just shamelessly plug the fact that BrooklynBlue (aka. Rich Orlando), a member of the forum here has self-published in physical book form his stupendous 3 volume book, A Love That Burns.
The book discusses every known surviving recording by Peter from the period 1966 to 70. Works for Danny fans too ! (and Jeremy's).
It is refreshing to read a book focused on the music of that period of the band that is not focused on grave-digging, finger nails and Munich.
If you love the music of Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac and his other work with, for example John Mayall, then these books are basically essential.
I'd like to congratulate Rich on writing such a great "bunch o' books" and urge you chaps and chapesses to head on over to
https://smilingcorgipress.com
As I type, BBC Radio 4 are discussing the newly found John Coltrane recordings. Rich's books are of the order of The John Coltrane Reference by Porter , Wild et al. or Mark Lewisohn's Beatles works.
A 10/10 piece of musicology. Seriously, you need them !
Old 06-08-2018, 09:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I will second your recommendation on Rich's new book, ash! This book is really the "Bible" of reference works on the music of Peter Green and it will be for many years. Rich has been working on this for a long time, and a lot of us have "met" him here on The Ledge over the years.

There is nothing else that's ever been published like his new 3-volume work. Amazingly detailed descriptions of the music as well as information about early Fleetwood Mac (and the Bluesbreakers) and its members, their influences, and contemporaries. Overall the focus is squarely on the music itself, and as ash mentioned, it covers every known recording involving Peter Green that has survived - studio recordings and out-takes, BBC sessions, and both professional recordings and bootlegs from live shows.

A quick note that Rich has published the book through his own Smiling Corgi Press, and so far I believe it is only available directly through that website - here is the page for more detailed info and for ordering (it's available as an e-book as well as paperback):
https://smilingcorgipress.com/shop/

I should also note the fantastic blog that Rich has on his Smiling Corgi site - lots of great posts related to Fleetwood Mac and related blues artists:
https://smilingcorgipress.com/blog/

If you're interested in reading about the music of Peter Green and early Fleetwood Mac, Rich's book is definitely for you!
Old 06-08-2018, 03:24 PM

Well, I'd say that $24.95 (or $45.00 for paperback) are more than a reasonable price for the complete collection
Old 06-09-2018, 04:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

. . . if i may join in the universal praise - i have to subscribe to everything that's been stated here before, too. i've already ordered the whole tome and can't wait for its arrival.

rich has devoted almost endless time to this exceptional work, and thank god he didn't know everything he knows now concerning the release of the long awaited print edition - it probably would've never materialized. and the price is absolutely right!

thank you so very much, rich!

Last edited by lazy poker; 06-09-2018 at 04:42 AM.. Reason: added info
Old 06-15-2018, 12:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

folks - i just received the 3 volumes of the paperback edition of richard's "definitive guide to the recordings of peter green". the books look FAN - TAS - TIC and i'm expecting nothing less than an exciting and enlightening read for my this year's summer. definitely a MUST for any real fan.

hats off to you, rich, and thanks a million for actually realizing this much anticipated great body of work - against all odds!