Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-25-2014, 02:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloMonster View Post
This man has ignored another question from me! Yes it's beyond nice of him to answer any questions, and were lucky to get anything answered, period, but...

Come on, my turn!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanders8323 View Post
I've asked maybe 8 to 10 questions, and only one of them have been answered. All of my questions relate to the music, and if you look at the blog, most of the questions have nothing to do with that. So ask him something about the band's or his drug use. He's bound to answer that. That's all most people seem to ask about or care about.
Yeah, I asked only 1 question- about his experiences during Out Of The Cradle, and the soul-searching nature of Lindsey's songs on that album. It was never answered. Instead, Richard has answered countless repetitive questions on the band's drug usage, and every single thing about Stevie & Lindsey's personal lives except a descriptive of their fart odors. I'm done with the blog- meaningful questions are being avoided in preference of the lowest common denominator.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Yeah, I asked only 1 question- about his experiences during Out Of The Cradle, and the soul-searching nature of Lindsey's songs on that album. It was never answered. Instead, Richard has answered countless repetitive questions on the band's drug usage, and every single thing about Stevie & Lindsey's personal lives except a descriptive of their fart odors. I'm done with the blog- meaningful questions are being avoided in preference of the lowest common denominator.
yeah I don't think he's ignoring people, he's ignoring questions. And while he has answered some of my questions, he does indeed seem to be mainly focusing on the more 'titillating' stuff about S&L and feeding the shippers rather than talking about being a producer. Say what you will about Ken, but he did indeed talk about the crafting of the songs and how artistic choices were made etc. I almost wonder if Richard is still rebuilding his connections to the band and their circle and answering things in the way he thinks they would like them answered. Who knows. I will say though he has posted some fun pics of Mick and some nice pics of Chris.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
yeah I don't think he's ignoring people, he's ignoring questions. And while he has answered some of my questions, he does indeed seem to be mainly focusing on the more 'titillating' stuff about S&L and feeding the shippers rather than talking about being a producer. Say what you will about Ken, but he did indeed talk about the crafting of the songs and how artistic choices were made etc. I almost wonder if Richard is still rebuilding his connections to the band and their circle and answering things in the way he thinks they would like them answered. Who knows. I will say though he has posted some fun pics of Mick and some nice pics of Chris.
It's total shipperville. But he did just say that he doesn't like talking about Stevie and Lindsey's love life with each other anymore because Lindsey is happily married with children and it's disrespectful to assume there relationship is anything other than within the scope of FM.

You see, Lindsey now has a beautiful wife & family. What was relevant quite a few years ago, is not necessarily relevant now. I do not want to say anything that will affect his wonderful family & home life, by bringing up certain past situations
Old 08-25-2014, 03:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've asked 5 and they've all been answered, mostly about Tango.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Oh, I know he's not avoiding people specifically-it's not possible since the questions are all submitted anonymously. I'm just totally flummoxed as to why he is categorically ignoring any sort of remotely substantive questions about his craft as a producer & engineer. Instead, he keeps answering rephrased versions of the same old tired relationship & drug questions that have been brought up in every FM related interview from the past 40 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
It's total shipperville. But he did just say that he doesn't like talking about Stevie and Lindsey's love life with each other anymore because Lindsey is happily married with children and it's disrespectful to assume there relationship is anything other than within the scope of FM.

You see, Lindsey now has a beautiful wife & family. What was relevant quite a few years ago, is not necessarily relevant now. I do not want to say anything that will affect his wonderful family & home life, by bringing up certain past situations
Yeah, the whole shipper focus really turns me off. I'm just so very sick of that aspect of Fleetwood Mac. Their relationship lasted for less than a decade, and ended 40 years ago. LET IT GO. Lindsey has been with Kristin nearly 2 decades now. They have 3 children- one is nearly grown. Stevie banged half of the western world after she ended their relationship. Point being S&L both moved on decades ago.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ik asked him a question about Lindsey's last three soloalbums and what he would have wanted to add to the sound of those....

Neglected... So far.

But it maybe was too painful for him.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
He's more likely to ignore that question I would think. But is "Ricky" really about Richard Dashut? You know I never thought to make that connection, but it makes perfect sense.
Yes, it's a little present to him. Since he talked about the pie fight, I thought he might answer that question. Michele
Old 08-25-2014, 06:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
feeding the shippers rather than talking about being a producer. Say what you will about Ken, but he did indeed talk about the crafting of the songs and how artistic choices were made etc.
while i agree that there seems to be a bit much catering to shippers on that blog (to put it mildly!), it is entirely possible they ask him the most questions. shipper community seems to have hugely grown since AHS airing (my Say Goodbye intro video from Vegas has almost 38000 views! that's intro only, no song! who do you think is watching that?!?). also, the time Richard lived with them, Lindsey and Stevie actually were a couple.

i asked one question in several different ways, and he finally answered it when someone else asked it again. so maybe he's answering questions that he gets the most?

either way, if you've been reading, he's been very clear, re-iterating several times, that if you want to know about the technical side of making music - Ken is your man. but if you want to know more about the life of the band, behind the scenes and more personal stuff, Richard's blog is a place for you.

after all, Richard was Stevie's and Lindsey's (and then only Lindsey's) roommate for at least half a decade if not longer, from the time they were complete unknows through the time they became rock gods and millionaires. he was paying their rent when they were dirt poor (that contradicts Stevie's long-standing story a bit, doesn't it?). he was Lindsey's best friend for years. he was self-admitted jack-of-all-trades for the band including shoulder to cry on and relationship counselor. he was not just a technical hired hand.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 08-25-2014, 07:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I've asked maybe 8 to 10 questions, and only one of them have been answered. All of my questions relate to the music, and if you look at the blog, most of the questions have nothing to do with that. So ask him something about the band's or his drug use. He's bound to answer that. That's all most people seem to ask about or care about.
And I've asked about 7-8 questions a day, persisting with some of them multiple times. I would say he usually answers about one of those a day, on average. About half those questions relate solely to SnL and the others are more general and/or music-related. I also try asking half while logged in and half as anonymous. There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason as to which of mine he answers, though timing comes into it. Certainly, I know for a fact that he's ignored lots and lots and lots of SnL related questions (not even particularly nosy or personal ones) in favour of answering things like 'did they have birthday parties for each other?' or 'what shoes is lindsey wearing?'

Quote:
There are a lot of questions being asked, apparently, and I certainly wouldn't get worked up over ONE not being answered. I've asked about the OOTC songs as well; also not answered. It's not a big deal, tbh. He'll get to one of them, or one like it, eventually, I would say. Yes, I think he answers too many questions on certain topics but it's HIS blog and his prerogative.

And I'm sorry but are you implying SnL's personal lives are the LCD? I don't think we need to have some trophic level system going on wherein Pure Music is up top, and anything technical is sooooo much better and more valuable. Some people find it hard to separate the personal/music (SnL, for one...) and ask accordingly. I mean, there can be LCD questions from both ends. Would you say asking 'What's your favourite song on Tusk?' is any 'more' of a 'good' question than asking his opinion on, say, how SnL have changed or stayed the same over the years, both personally and musically?

Quote:
People are acting like him ignoring some questions is a real personal affront. He's explained he can't get to everything. There's every chance, to my mind, that it's not even him picking the questions, tbh - but that Stacy selects them, sends them through to RD, he answers, and Stacy posts. We don't know for sure his method of posting. Believe me, there have been WAY more interesting, 'titillating' things he could've said or answered about SnL, to be honest. I cringe when people ask nosy questions about things like 'were they noisy?' but I don't think most SnL focused questions are like that, to be frank, and I think they are important in helping fans build a bigger picture view of the people behind the artists, as well as getting an insight into the music. I know lots of people are well able to divorce the music from the personal behind it, but I find them locked in tight and enjoy any information about the people that impacts the music and lyrics they produce.

And yes, he's posted plenty of pictures of the various members of the band which have been lovely to see. Looking forward to more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post

I think you're overstating it somewhat. I'd suggest looking at the past 25 questions or so and adding up those actually about SnL, personally.

And that's an interesting interpretation of what he said, one I don't entirely agree with, tbh. I don't think he's saying it's disrespectful to assume that, and I think he was backtracking somewhat from what he said earlier when he answering about the present day relationship. SnL themselves pretty freely cop to their relationship not being in those sole confines of Fleetwood Mac. I think you'll be hardpressed to find many people who genuinely think their relationship is the same as theirs with other members of the band. Their own history (not even touching present day stuff) pretty much guarantees that.

Quote:
Oh, I know he's not avoiding people specifically-it's not possible since the questions are all submitted anonymously. I'm just totally flummoxed as to why he is categorically ignoring any sort of remotely substantive questions about his craft as a producer & engineer. Instead, he keeps answering rephrased versions of the same old tired relationship & drug questions that have been brought up in every FM related interview from the past 40 years.

Yeah, the whole shipper focus really turns me off. I'm just so very sick of that aspect of Fleetwood Mac. Their relationship lasted for less than a decade, and ended 40 years ago. LET IT GO. Lindsey has been with Kristin nearly 2 decades now. They have 3 children- one is nearly grown. Stevie banged half of the western world after she ended their relationship. Point being S&L both moved on decades ago.
I think it's more than likely that he gets more questions of the drug/relationship kind which increases the chance of them being answered. In addition, I'm sure he's aware those personal posts get more attention/likes than the technical ones. No one is averse to wanting that. And can we not blanket categorise all SnL related questions as UNsubstantive.

Not all people asking about (or even interested in) Stevie and Lindsey's life (lives?) and relationship are 'shippers'. Not all 'shippers' are praying night by night that Lindsey drops Kristen and he and Stevie run off to a house in Wales to not just write music, for goodness' sake. One can be interested in that dynamic and how it affects the music. One can be interested in their past and how it's been reconciled and explored in the context of their future. One can find their rather unique situation intriguing and want a more 'insider' view on it.

Their relationship was not limited to the 60s/70s, for goodness' sake. I think there's every chance even their 'romantic' relationship wasn't even limited to that and Stevie professes that she only knew it was over when his first child was born. Certainly, a relationship is more than sex, and the love is there, albeit expressed in a different way these days, perhaps. I also STRONGLY disagree that Stevie and Lindsey have moved on. From some things, yes. From some elements of that relationship, yes. But from each other? No.

I could give a buttload of quotes here to express what I mean but I think this will suffice. Note how she directly compares the length of her ROMANTIC relationship with Mick (though I think that's inaccurate too) to the length of her (???) relationship with Lindsey.
Our relationship didn’t last a long time, Mick’s and mine. It was a year. And Lindsey’s and mine’s relationship lasted from when we first met in 1968 and I joined his band up until now. Mick and I will be best friends when we’re 90. But Lindsey’s and mine’s relationship is different.

More complicated?

Much more complicated, yeah.
I think the quote in my signature (also from that set of interviews last year) sums it up well. They both still write and sing songs about one another, express a desire to sort through **** which hasn't been worked out, treasure when they can 'remember' what it was like before and re-embrace that, and so on.
Like the eyes to the soul / From across the room,
And the crowd fades away / And we stand alone,
Just like nothing’s changed / After all these years,
But it’s still the same
And you’re not to blame / No you’re not to blame

Well, my heart still stops / When I stand before you
And my heart still breaks / When you take my hand
And my eyes still close / When someone speaks your name
And you understand / It’s all the same
She does still hear him
All night long
The same song over and over
It heals her heart
No voice of a stranger
Could play that part
It broke her heart
Broke her heart

"There’s nothing going on between you and me except that there will always be something going on between you and me. Until the day we die"
Old 08-25-2014, 08:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
either way, if you've been reading, he's been very clear, re-iterating several times, that if you want to know about the technical side of making music - Ken is your man. but if you want to know more about the life of the band, behind the scenes and more personal stuff, Richard's blog is a place for you.

after all, Richard was Stevie's and Lindsey's (and then only Lindsey's) roommate for at least half a decade if not longer, from the time they were complete unknows through the time they became rock gods and millionaires. he was paying their rent when they were dirt poor (that contradicts Stevie's long-standing story a bit, doesn't it?). he was Lindsey's best friend for years. he was self-admitted jack-of-all-trades for the band including shoulder to cry on and relationship counselor. he was not just a technical hired hand.
He was in fact producer on almost a half dozen Mac albums and on several of Lindsey's solo albums, and he is an engineer by training, so it's a little disingenuous of him or us to think that he's not technically knowledgeable or artistically knowledgeable because he was intimately involved in the creative decisions about Mac music-- and it would be interesting to hear his take on all that. However he may be more comfortable talking about the other stuff, and that's his prerogative, as has been said, it's his blog.

But it is curious that he just doesn't answer questions about OOTC. It's a GREAT album, people love it, and he was coproducer and even cowriter on some songs. It does kinda stick out like a sore thumb that he doesn't remark on it in any way. Again, totally his call but I don't think it's unfair to note it or comment on it.

It will be curious to see how that might change over time…

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 08-25-2014 at 08:13 PM.. Reason: because for some reason I can't type today
Old 08-25-2014, 08:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Richard says feels honored to be treated like a 6th member of the band and he is not just a technical hired hand. Obviously he was emotionally more than that, having lived with Lindsey and Stevie and essentially lived with ALL of them during the production of the various albums. And he responds just like a member of the band. I noticed every time anyone questioned him about any of the books written about the band, he's never read them. That's a company line. I suspect they have all read the books (whether or not they paid for them is another story). I think his answers are careful. He does "walk a thin line." Unlike Bob Welch, who gave his unvarnished answers to "the punters" without regard to any band members feelings, perhaps Richard may have another role to play with this band in the future. Stranger things have happened.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Richard says feels honored to be treated like a 6th member of the band and he is not just a technical hired hand. Obviously he was emotionally more than that, having lived with Lindsey and Stevie and essentially lived with ALL of them during the production of the various albums. And he responds just like a member of the band. I noticed every time anyone questioned him about any of the books written about the band, he's never read them. That's a company line. I suspect they have all read the books (whether or not they paid for them is another story). I think his answers are careful. He does "walk a thin line." Unlike Bob Welch, who gave his unvarnished answers to "the punters" without regard to any band members feelings, perhaps Richard may have another role to play with this band in the future. Stranger things have happened.
^Yes. I've mentioned before I think he may be trying to reconnect with the band in some working capacity and seems to be answering in band-approved ways. We just ought take the blog for what it is. The photos however are really great and of course never before seen anywhere which makes it pretty cool.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
^Yes. I've mentioned before I think he may be trying to reconnect with the band in some working capacity and seems to be answering in band-approved ways. We just ought take the blog for what it is. The photos however are really great and of course never before seen anywhere which makes it pretty cool.

And I agree with you completely. It is what it is. The pics are amazing! There is no way he didn't read Ken's book. He worked side by side with him. There's no way he didn't read the Harris book or Mick's either. (okay, someone read it TO him. hahaha!) It's still great to get to hear from him.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
But it is curious that he just doesn't answer questions about OOTC. It's a GREAT album, people love it, and he was coproducer and even cowriter on some songs. It does kinda stick out like a sore thumb that he doesn't remark on it in any way. Again, totally his call but I don't think it's unfair to note it or comment on it.

It will be curious to see how that might change over time…
if you read the rest of what i wrote (as well as what Nicole wrote) you'd have your answer:

because he is probably not asked nearly often enough about stuff like OOTC and Lindsey's solo work!! if we are curious and want certain answers, seems like we need to keep asking him for our questions to get through and he'll eventually answer.

Nicole said she's been sending him 7-8 questions a day, for days. your one question about OOTC gets lost among all hers about Stevie and Lindsey. few people interested and asking questions about Lindsey's solo work probably get way out-competed.

i don't care too much about deeply technical stuff since that's not my field and i wouldn't understand it anyway, but i do care about the process of shaping ideas into music, who came up with what and why. when somebody told the story about Lindsey writing down a sentence on the piece of paper, and then tearing that paper into individual words and giving everybody in the studio a word to build a part of a verse around it, i thought that was a great story (don't remember who told that story and whether it's even true?). i also care about what is behind certain personal stuff / statements that people like Ken managed to make about Lindsey, in particular.

personal stuff like Lindsey's worn out shoes and holes in his shirts and whether he cares about material wealth / appearances is also interesting to me. first because it's hard not to notice, and second because it shows a glimpse into the man shaping the art.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 08-25-2014, 08:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
if you read the rest of what i wrote (as well as what Nicole wrote) you'd have your answer:

because he is probably not asked nearly often enough about stuff like OOTC and Lindsey's solo work!! if we are curious and want certain answers, seems like we need to keep asking him for our questions to get through and he'll eventually answer.

Nicole said she's been sending him 7-8 questions a day, for days. your one question about OOTC gets lost among all hers about Stevie and Lindsey. few people interested and asking questions about Lindsey's solo work probably get way out-competed.

i don't care too much about deeply technical stuff since that's not my field and i wouldn't understand it anyway, but i do care about the process of shaping ideas into music, who came up with what and why. when somebody told the story about Lindsey writing down a sentence on the piece of paper, and then tearing that paper into individual words and giving everybody in the studio a word to build a part of a verse around it, i thought that was a great story (don't remember who told that story and whether it's even true?). i also care about what is behind certain personal stuff / statements that people like Ken managed to make about Lindsey, in particular.

personal stuff like Lindsey's worn out shoes and holes in his shirts and whether he cares about material wealth / appearances is also interesting to me. first because it's hard not to notice, and second because it shows a glimpse into the man shaping the art.

Oh I've submitted a bunch of OOTC questions. And I think others have asked quite a bunch too.

The holey shirt question was mine!! I didn't know he'd answered it, I gotta go see what he said LOL