Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-13-2018, 10:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Lindsey dedicates SUD to Stevie in Birmingham AL

Waiting for some videos and impressions.

I’ll link some tweets later if nobody else does.

Maybe people calling him St Lindsey are right.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 11-13-2018, 10:32 AM

That's pretty classy!
Old 11-13-2018, 10:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

That's so sweet, what a nice gesture. Not sure it will happen in return...
Old 11-13-2018, 12:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh you and I we sure can dream
Of conversations that might have been

I know that I treat you unkind
And long ago I lost my mind

And even after all these years
I can't even see you clear

I know that you must lie sometimes
To hide the truth you're trying to find

Oh I won't shut us down
No I will stay around
As long as I can
As long as I can

Even after all these years

A child is born another dies
And every life has its price

Oh I won't shut us down
No I will stay around
As long as I can
As long as I can
As long as I can
As long as I can
As long as I can
Old 11-13-2018, 12:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I was going to start a review thread on this but silly work got in the way, lol.

Yes, it was a very intense moment.

The song was preceded by Lindsey talking about how special Birmingham was because it was one of only a couple places where Buckingham Nicks was appreciated back in 1974. He noted that there were actually people in the audience who had seen Stevie and him performing there so many years ago, and that he appreciated that those people were still with him. He said in some ways, things had come full circle... and this was a new beginning.

He smiled a bit sadly and said, "So maybe I'll dedicate this next one to Stevie."

I heard a few people do some chortling and "yeahs" and the like. They obviously were unfamiliar with the setlist and were expecting a snarky song, or an angry song.... something like "Wrong," or "Never Going Back Again."

But it was "Shut Us Down."

And on that first line... "You and I, we sure can dream..." for just a moment... he got a little choked up.

Everyone fell silent as he ripped his heart open for the song. He got himself under control for the remainder of it, but oh my gosh. As someone who was into BN (obviously) and has mourned the loss of that as much as the loss of Fleetwood Mac, I was getting choked up, too.

After the song, as the notes died, it seemed the air was vibrating with the emotional power of it. You couldn't help but feel it - his vulnerability, his passion, his frustration, his confusion, his grief, his regret, his longing, his defiance... everything. He got a standing ovation. It was the first of the night, but not the last.

I'll never hear that song the same way again.

Last edited by sodascouts; 11-15-2018 at 05:01 PM..
Old 11-13-2018, 01:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
I was going to start a review thread on this but silly work got in the way, lol.

The song was preceded by Lindsey talking about how special Birmingham was because it was one of only a couple places where Buckingham Nicks was appreciated back in 1974. He talked about how there were people in the audience who had seen Stevie and him performing so many years ago, and that he appreciated that they were still with him. He said in some ways, things had come full circle... and this was a new beginning.

He smiled a bit sadly and said, "So maybe I'll dedicate this next one to Stevie."

I heard a few people do some chortling and "yeahs" and the like. They obviously were unfamiliar with the setlist and were expecting a snarky song, or an angry song.... something like "Wrong," or "Never Going Back Again."

And on that first line... "You and I, we sure can dream..." for just a moment... he got a little choked up.

Everyone fell silent as he ripped his heart open for the song. He was fine for the remainder of the it, but oh my gosh. As someone who was into BN (obviously) and has mourned the loss of that as much as the loss of Fleetwood Mac, I was getting choked up, too.

After the song, as the notes died, it seemed the air was vibrating with the emotional power of it. You couldn't help but feel it - his vulnerability, his passion, his frustration, his confusion, his grief, his regret, his longing, his defiance... everything. He got a standing ovation. It was the first of the night, but not the last.

Just reading this Nancy, made me tear up. Thank you for telling us.
What an unbelievable special moment to have witnessed. I wonder if anyone has it on video??
Old 11-13-2018, 02:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

The song was preceded by Lindsey talking about how special Birmingham was because it was one of only a couple places where Buckingham Nicks was appreciated back in 1974. He talked about how there were people in the audience who had seen Stevie and him performing so many years ago, and that he appreciated that they were still with him. He said in some ways, things had come full circle... and this was a new beginning.

Everyone fell silent as he ripped his heart open for the song. He was fine for the remainder of the it, but oh my gosh. As someone who was into BN (obviously) and has mourned the loss of that as much as the loss of Fleetwood Mac, I was getting choked up, too.

Wow, so much class. And he’s really demonstrated classy behavior throughout this situation. That’s the part that hurts the most about this situation. The history between these two people.
My curiosity is burning though, I wonder if it made its way back to her?
Old 11-13-2018, 02:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow.

I know Shut Us Down was a co-write.
Does anyone know if Lindsey wrote all or most of the lyrics?
Old 11-13-2018, 02:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I believe Lindsey only modified the lyrics slightly, but they obviously spoke to him immensely.

BTW, I forgot to add that before "Shut Us Down," he wondered aloud what would have happened if he and Stevie had just kept going as Buckingham Nicks and had never joined Fleetwood Mac, sounding a bit wistful. He concluded with something to the effect of, "Who knows how things would have turned out if we had made a different choice."

Last edited by sodascouts; 11-15-2018 at 05:06 PM..
Old 11-13-2018, 02:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I found the version with her lyrics in another thread - more was changed than I'd remembered:

Oh you and I sure do dream
You and I surely see
But open arms one sweet night
I hold that we will touch in time

After all these crazy years
I know that I was bending some truth
Defensive me, missing you

Oh, I won't shut us down
No, I'll be around
As long as I can
As long as I can

After all these growing years
I recall all my fears
We built a wall between us two
But I still love the thought of you

I won't shut us down
No, I'll be around
As long as I can
As long as I can

Oh, I won't shut us down
No, I'll be around
As long as I can
As long as I can

Old 11-13-2018, 03:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Everyone fell silent as he ripped his heart open for the song. He got himself under control for the remainder of it, but oh my gosh. As someone who was into BN (obviously) and has mourned the loss of that as much as the loss of Fleetwood Mac, I was getting choked up, too.

Wow, thanks for sharing this. What a special moment.
Lindsey is amazing to be the bigger person in this. Not an easy task of anyone considering.

Last edited by Angel75; 11-13-2018 at 10:50 PM..
Old 11-13-2018, 04:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Other impressions:

I had sprung for VIP and got to meet Lindsey before the show. He seemed to be in good spirits. I thanked him for doing "Soul Drifter" and said it meant a lot to me; he said that it had taken on a new meaning for him due to recent events. I replied that I could imagine so, lol.

Then it was time for the show. I was on my game in my ticket purchasing and got front row center, so I got to enjoy Lindsey from the best seat in the house! (And what a house it was - the gorgeous Lyric Theatre has great acoustics. The only drawbacks were a huge gap between the front row and the stage, and security with stern faces that discouraged people from going up to the stage until at the encore I just went for it lol).

Lindsey was strong vocally and energetic. He was having a good night.

It was so great to hear songs that I never thought I would hear live - so many tunes from OOTC and then there are the tracks from Go Insane as well. Of special note: Although I love the intensity of the acoustic "Go Insane", hearing the live version with effects really rocked and brought a different kind of energy which was really cool. Of course, my favorite "Soul Drifter" was wonderful and went by all too quickly. Also, I liked the way he incorporated the slower instrumental coda of "Slow Dancing" into the live version.

The only moments I wasn't really into: I've never enjoyed the repetitive "I Must Go" and the live version doesn't enchant me any more than the original. Also, the "silence of stone" bridge of "Surrender the Rain" was quite obviously not him actually singing. He needs to either drop it down an octave so he can sing it himself or make that recording sound more natural. It was jarring and took me out of the moment of a lovely song. Otherwise, I was happy as can be with the show.

For those wondering - we did get "Down on Rodeo"! I was praying he would do this as I know not just one but two fans who would have been devastated if he had skipped it. I, of course, would have been quite disappointed as well.

Finally, I really like that he ends on "Treason." Not only is it a beautiful song, but it also just works so well thematically. I was looking up at his face and singing along with "At the end of the season, we will rise from this treason," and I couldn't help but think how true it was for Lindsey. More power to him.

Amazing show. Long live Lindsey Buckingham and his solo efforts!

Last edited by sodascouts; 11-14-2018 at 01:04 AM..
Old 11-13-2018, 05:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Other impressions:

I had sprung for VIP and got to meet Lindsey before the show. He seemed to be in good spirits. I thanked him for doing "Soul Drifter" and said it meant a lot to me; he said that it had taken on a new meaning for him due to recent events. I replied that I could imagine so, lol.

Then it was time for the show. I was on my game in my ticket purchasing and got front row center, so I got to enjoy Lindsey from the best seat in the house! (And what a house it was - the gorgeous Lyric Theatre has great acoustics. The only drawbacks were a huge gap between the front row and the stage, and security with stern faces that discouraged people from going up to the stage until at the encore I just went for it lol).

Lindsey was strong vocally and energetic. He was having a good night.

It was so great to hear songs that I never thought I would hear live - so many tunes from OOTC and then there are the tracks from Go Insane as well. Of special note: Although I love the intensity of the acoustic "Go Insane", hearing the live version with effects really rocked and brought a different kind of energy which was really cool. Of course, my favorite "Soul Drifter" was wonderful and went by all too quickly. Also, I liked the way he incorporated the slower instrumental coda of "Slow Dancing" into the live version.

The only moments I wasn't really into: I've never enjoyed the repetitive "I Must Go" and the live version doesn't enchant me any more than the original. Also, the "silence of stone" bridge of "Surrender the Rain" was quite obviously not him actually singing. He needs to either drop it down an octave so he can sing it himself or make that recording sound more natural. It was jarring and took me out of the moment of a lovely song. Otherwise, I was happy as can be with the show.

For those wondering - we did get "Down on Rodeo"! I was praying he would do this as I know now just one but two fans who would have been devastated if he had skipped it.

Finally, I really like that he ends on "Treason." Not only is it beautiful song, but is also just works so well thematically. I was looking up at his face and singing along with "At the end of the season, we will rise from this treason," and I couldn't help but think how true it was for Lindsey. More power to him.

Amazing show. Long live Lindsey Buckingham and his solo efforts!
Fabulous add on comments for your review. Thank you!!
Old 11-13-2018, 06:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Old 11-13-2018, 06:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

tweet stating basically the same what sodascouts described to us in more detail (and as i told you in messages - i'm so happy for you that you of all people were there to witness it, Nancy!) -

also some descriptions from our FB group including what i was told, and then description from somebody who was at the show:

Braden: He said “Maybe, just maybe I’ll dedicate this one to Stevie tonight” then played Shut Us Down.

Elle: Shut Us Down is the song he uses for dedications on this tour.
Apparently he talked about buckingham nicks success in Alabama and how he’s making a fresh start and how everything is circular and how he and Stevie kinda had their first taste of success there and that this year certainly turned out differently than he expected and so maybe he will dedicate this song to Stevie - something like that. People who were there should correct me.

Braden: Yep, that's correct. Tuscaloosa (and Birmingham I think) were the two shows that Buckingham Nicks played with arguably, their most success. The album was huge in Alabama, compared to other places. He kinda ruminated on the idea of "what would have happened if they responded to that success in Alabama and not joined Fleetwood Mac?" I've heard him say something similar in interviews before, but it was really cool to see him acknowledge it in Birmingham. I think he even indicated that some of the people who were there that night had seen him and Stevie in Buckingham Nicks at one of those shows. It was a very special moment in the show.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"

Last edited by elle; 11-13-2018 at 07:27 PM..