Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:02 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default John

I just thought we should have a thread that had everyone's first name and that Stevie and LindsAy were getting too much airtime. John McVie appreciation anyone?

I found it interesting in the reading of the Making of Rumours about the change on Second Hand News's baseline from what was a "john walking baseline" to something more simple when Lindsey played over it. John definitely has a distinctive base feel he creates when making parts for songs, doesn't he?

I think recently it really stands out on Smile at You on SYW, during the bridge when the base is so poignant and naked there. You can point to that and definitely hear John McVie and no one else on base there. What other parts stand out like that for you?
Old 04-03-2014, 06:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilsrain View Post
I just thought we should have a thread that had everyone's first name and that Stevie and LindsAy were getting too much airtime. John McVie appreciation anyone?

I found it interesting in the reading of the Making of Rumours about the change on Second Hand News's baseline from what was a "john walking baseline" to something more simple when Lindsey played over it. John definitely has a distinctive base feel he creates when making parts for songs, doesn't he?

I think recently it really stands out on Smile at You on SYW, during the bridge when the base is so poignant and naked there. You can point to that and definitely hear John McVie and no one else on base there. What other parts stand out like that for you?
I think John is better when he plays BASS though.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

John is one of the great bass guitarists. He is such a bass guitarist too, always just chilling back letting the rest of the crew put on the show. He's just back there playing bass. Do you guys ever think what crazy lives these people lived? Now they're all about 70 years old still going at it. There's probably a lot less sex and drugs but the rock n roll is still there.

I am looking forward to seeing the band this fall, I hope John is good to go. I know a lot of us spent a lot of money on tickets, but you have to put it in perspective. Music is art, this band, these five people created some really beautiful, timeless art together. Take away one of the artists and the art becomes incomplete, not whole. A lot of old bands like this tour with newer band members, like that weren't around back in the day, I think that takes away from its value. If I'm going to spent this money to see this art, I want to see it being created by its original artists, not a replacement artist. Now with Christine coming back, they never replaced her, so that makes her return even more great. The art is complete once again.

Last edited by Wdm6789; 04-03-2014 at 08:34 PM..
Old 04-03-2014, 11:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This has been told in the Classic Albums Rumours video, but it interesting how Mick described in his book. It's about the Rumours lineup early days and how and John and Lindsey started:

John has always been a bit overprotective of his own ability and never liked suggestions. So John and Lindsey got straight to loggerheads. That was the start-off, and of course Lindsey couldn't win. (McVie is a consummate game-player, and Lindsey just didn't know. If he wants, McVie can get me on my knees, exhausted, begging for him to stop.) Bloody-minded, John would growl, "I'm not sitting here being told what to do by someone who's just joined the ****ing band!" There was a pecking order, and Lindsey had to be taught some tact or McVie would attack him. John would say, "Hang on a see, you're talkie' to McVie here!"

All this, I thought, was very healthy in the long run. At one point they told each other to **** off, and that was it. After that, there was a balancing situation between their personalities. Lindsey was confronted with the fact that although he had been dominant in Buckingham Nicks, now he was in a band, one which did things by consensus. Fleetwood Mac has always been a democracy.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Not that I won't do a little fangirling over Stevie, but I'm most excited about seeing the McVies in person in October.