Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-26-2014, 02:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=THD;1134514]
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
[BBC-2 Radio picks the 100 greatest guitar riffs. Oh Well is included]

I think there is a TV prog also ,to be broadcast soon on BBC4

I would say, looking at the list, someone doesn't actually know the difference between a riff and a melody Smoke on the Water , OhWell , All Right Now are riffs but Apache and Waterloo Sunset (Even though ultimately not included ,and a great song by the way !I don't think so !!

Purple Haze I don't feel it is a riff based song (Fantastic as it is !)Whereas Voodoo Chile (?) or Foxy Lady are !
Whole Lotta Love voted number 1 guitar riff.
Oh Well came in a respectable 22- I hadn't expected it to come in so high. That's pretty good.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/chart/guitar-riffs
Old 09-28-2014, 02:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[From an article complainting about commuting]

The Guardian 9-27-2014 by Lauren Laverne

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandst...lauren-laverne

No. Stoic, group silence is the only acceptable way to spend an hour in such intimate proximity to so very many strangers. It’s your journey to work, not a Robin Thicke video. But make no mistake: amid the silence, behind my blank expression, I am drinking deep and daily from a sustaining wellspring of joy. Yes, all the time – when the Victoria line is part suspended; when there’s a busker playing an unforgivable version of Fleetwood Mac’s “Albatross”; when the bloke opposite is inhaling an inexplicable 8am Pad Thai with all the expertise of a leaf blower, creating a vast arc of noodle backsplash and a pungent miasma that stretches the length of the entire carriage. Yes, then. Even when I can feel four distinct breaths on the back of my neck and can tell by the exhalation pattern that one of them is a dog’s.
Old 01-18-2015, 04:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Jan 17 2015 02:15:01
Mothers project is our labour of love ; Erdington rock club Mothers played host to illustrious names such as Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, The Who and Pink Floyd during its three- year reign. GRAHAM YOUNG looks at efforts to keep the spirit of the club alive
Jan. 17 (Birmingham Mail) -- MORE than 300 items of memorabilia are to go on display to keep the spirit of Birmingham's legendary rock club Mothers alive.

And, if the day is as successful as the organisers believe it will be, it is hoped to turn the exhibition into an annual event.

Motor trade worker Dave Gordon has been collecting posters, books, flyers and records relating to the former club in Erdington for three years.

"I've had to put my 13-year-old daughter in with her younger brother so that I can use her bedroom to store it all," he says.

"We're just getting the word out now about the day and I expect people to find even more things we can display.

"Although admission is free, I'm having copies made of some of the Mothers posters - the originals are probably worth Pounds 900 to Pounds 1,000 - to help to raise money for the local church."

Mothers only ran for three years, from 1968-71.

But during that time the greatest names in rock forged their talents there, including Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, The Who, Deep Purple, Free, Traffic, Marc Bolan, Jimi Hendrix and Pink Floyd.

Now 49, Dave learned about the Birmingham club's role in the birthplace of heavy rock through his late father, Ron Crowe.

Dave, who has his stepfather's surname, says: "My dad is buried at St Barnabas' Church and it's in the hall there where we will be having the exhibition.

"I was brought up on the stories about Mothers, which included The Who's drummer Keith Moon collapsing with heat exhaustion.

"He was carried into a dressing room and had a jug of cold water poured all over him.

"But then they sat on his legs to make him wait 10 minutes before trying to get back on to the stage. If there was one band I wish I could have seen play there, it would have to be Led Zeppelin. Drummer Jason Bonham apparently used to go up there twice a week with Robert Plant when they weren't touring, just to watch these other bands."

Dave was working for a community radio station three years ago when he realised the Mothers story ought to be better preserved - and he's now hoping that legendary guitarists David Gilmore (Pink Floyd) and Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath) will be able to turn their acknowledged interest in the project into personal visits on the day of the exhibition.

"Mothers is an amazing part of our rock history," says Dave.

"I think it's important for Birmingham that somebody tries to make ago of it and "The club is now a shop and the owners have agreed to allow tours of the building on the day so that people can see where the stage was, where the bar was and so on." One item Dave has is an undated letter signed by John Peel which says: 'I remember a wonderful Fleetwood Mac gig at which Peter Green, before over- indulgence in acid sidelined him, and at the time one of the few musicians who seemed to have retained a sense of humour, doing a Stan Webb.

'Stan (Chickenshack) used to leap into the audience to play his guitar solos and Pete, who had obviously witnessed this, put on a monkey mask (for Stan was not an object of great beauty) and did the same. I thought it was really funny at the time. I also remember the night on which the Floyd played and did the best ever version of Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun.

'I used to have a tape of it, but it was nicked by a discerning burglar ten years later. I sometimes get mail from younger people who live in Erdington and are amazed to hear that for a few years, the best club in Britain - and it was, because I went to most of them - was right there in Dave is being helped with the exhibition by Adrian Howell, who is organising young live bands for the day to give them a flavour of continuing the legacy.

Fiona Pritchard, wife of Dave Pritchard from The Idle Race (the forerunner of The Move, ELO and Wizzard), is rounding up names from the past. Names hoping to attend include Charlie Grimmer (Wizzard), Tony Iommi's guitarist cousin Paul Eastment (Velvet Fogg) and Norman Haines, lead singer with The Locomotive. Names sounded out about attending or contributing memories include Pete Townshend (The Who), Steve Gibbons, Roger Lomas (The Selector), Horace Painter (The Specials) and Pete Brown, the songwriter and unofficial fourth member of Cream.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
[From an article complainting about commuting]

The Guardian 9-27-2014 by Lauren Laverne

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandst...lauren-laverne

No. Stoic, group silence is the only acceptable way to spend an hour in such intimate proximity to so very many strangers. It’s your journey to work, not a Robin Thicke video. But make no mistake: amid the silence, behind my blank expression, I am drinking deep and daily from a sustaining wellspring of joy. Yes, all the time – when the Victoria line is part suspended; when there’s a busker playing an unforgivable version of Fleetwood Mac’s “Albatross”; when the bloke opposite is inhaling an inexplicable 8am Pad Thai with all the expertise of a leaf blower, creating a vast arc of noodle backsplash and a pungent miasma that stretches the length of the entire carriage. Yes, then. Even when I can feel four distinct breaths on the back of my neck and can tell by the exhalation pattern that one of them is a dog’s.
I don't understand a word of this.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:25 PM
Senior Ledgie

"I think it's important for Birmingham that somebody tries to make ago of it and "The club is now a shop and the owners have agreed to allow tours of the building on the day so that people can see where the stage was, where the bar was and so on." One item Dave has is an undated letter signed by John Peel which says: 'I remember a wonderful Fleetwood Mac gig at which Peter Green, before over- indulgence in acid sidelined him, and at the time one of the few musicians who seemed to have retained a sense of humour, doing a Stan Webb.

'Stan (Chickenshack) used to leap into the audience to play his guitar solos and Pete, who had obviously witnessed this, put on a monkey mask (for Stan was not an object of great beauty) and did the same.

Actually, Pete's monkey-mask thing was not a take on Stan Webb, but Buddy Guy, who was the first blues guitarist to pull off that stage antic. Pete would disappear off stage and at most gigs, John McVie would announce 'Ladies and gentlemen, Buddy Guy!' It would be regarded as being totally unPC today, of course!
Stan Webb, being a Buddy Guy aficionado, included this stunt in CS's show.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy spencer View Post

'Stan (Chickenshack) used to leap into the audience to play his guitar solos and Pete, who had obviously witnessed this, put on a monkey mask (for Stan was not an object of great beauty) and did the same.

Actually, Pete's monkey-mask thing was not a take on Stan Webb, but Buddy Guy, who was the first blues guitarist to pull off that stage antic. Pete would disappear off stage and at most gigs, John McVie would announce 'Ladies and gentlemen, Buddy Guy!' It would be regarded as being totally unPC today, of course!
Stan Webb, being a Buddy Guy aficionado, included this stunt in CS's show.
Ah! I had wondered about this, it makes more sense now.

John
Old 01-31-2015, 02:44 PM

Top 10 Martin Birch Albums
by Eduardo Rivadavia

Like many of history’s greatest music producers, Martin Birch prefers to maintain a low profile, working behind-the-scenes of his star clients to the point we had to dig a little deeper just to confirm his birth date of Dec. 27, 1948. But we hope Mr. Birch won’t hold our curiosity against us, since we aim to praise his incomparable career achievements as perhaps the greatest producer/engineer in hard rock and heavy metal history. Just flip through our ensuing list of Top 10 Martin Birch Albums and we’re sure you too will be amazed at the stunning collection of all-time classics that bear his imprimatur.

‘Then Play On’ (1969)
Fleetwood Mac

Martin Birch was just a humble studio engineer for what is arguably the greatest studio album recorded by Peter Green-era Fleetwood Mac. But we think it’s telling that this future producer’s first major credit came on such a pivotal release, headlined by a guitarist whose talents would influence so many of Birch’s future clients.

‘Argus’ (1972)
Wishbone Ash

The same thought process applies to Wishbone Ash’s third studio platter, ‘Argus,’ which Birch engineered in 1972, just as his career was really starting to take off. After all, one can only assume that the experience of recording Ted Turner and Andy Powell’s mellifluous twin-guitar interplay came in very handy when Iron Maiden rang Birch’s number almost one decade later.

‘Fire of Unknown Origin’ (1981)
Blue Oyster Cult

Martin Birch was firmly established as one of hard rock’s premier producers by 1981, when he helped Long Islanders Blue Oyster Cult resurrect their flagging career via their stunning return-to-form, ‘Fire of Unknown Origin,’ which featured the No. 1 rock single, ‘Burnin’ for You’ and a song best known for its inclusion in the ‘Heavy Metal’ soundtrack, ‘Veteran of the Psychic Wars.’

‘Killers’ (1981)
Iron Maiden

No list of the Top Ten Martin Birch Albums would be complete without several mentions of Iron Maiden — the New Wave of British Heavy Metal champions who worked with Birch until his 1992 retirement. In fact, we could almost fill this entire list with such examples, but we’ll start by calling out the band’s sophomore triumph, ’Killers,’ where Martin’s presence led to instant improvements over the previous year’s rough-sounding debut.

‘Saints & Sinners’ (1982)
Whitesnake

Another band that absolutely depended on Martin Birch’s production guidance for the better part of its career was David Coverdale’s Whitesnake — beginning with the group’s modest 1978 debut, ‘Trouble,’ and then arguably improving, year after year, until (and even beyond) 1982’s stellar ‘Saints & Sinners.’ That’s eight albums in all, including the double ‘Live…in the Heart of the City.’

‘Machine Head’ (1972)
Deep Purple

Can you say all-time classic? Look up the definition in a dictionary and you may find a picture of Deep Purple’s signature album, ‘Machine Head,’ which was ostensibly produced by the band but with the help of their trusty engineer, Martin Birch. Indeed, there’s little doubt it was this album’s massive global success that took Birch’s career to the next level, and ensured a more prestigious producer’s credit in years to come.

‘Burn’ (1974)
Deep Purple

Deep Purple counted on Birch yet again a couple of years later on 1974’s absolutely superb ‘Burn.’ The LP, which nearly equaled ‘Machine Head’s’ genius, saw Martin Birch help break in new boys Coverdale and Glenn Hughes without missing a single beat. And to think we’ve still got three spots to go in our list of Top Ten Martin Birch Albums.

‘Rising’ (1976)
Rainbow

And we don’t even have to leave the Purple camp to find one of them, thanks to ‘Rainbow Rising,’ one of three seminal heavy metal releases (four, if you count ’77’s ‘On Stage') that were produced by Martin Birch for Rainbow, guitarist Ritchie Blackmore’s Ronnie James Dio-fronted musical endeavor after leaving Deep Purple. Once voted the No. 1 heavy metal album of all-time by Kerrang! magazine, ‘Rising’ may be approaching its 40th anniversary, but its legend and influence just keep rising and rising every year.

‘Heaven and Hell’ (1980)
Black Sabbath

The next stop on Ronnie James Dio’s remarkable career will conveniently bring us to the next yardstick in Martin Birch’s own exceptional trajectory, as the two men’s destinies converged once again in 1980 to aid in the unlikely resurrection of Black Sabbath. The resulting ‘Heaven and Hell’ was quickly proclaimed a heavy metal landmark, and thus, as much as any other album, it cemented Martin Birch’s name atop the Mount Everest of heavy rock producers, with another decade of impeccable work still ahead.

‘The Number of the Beast’ (1982)
Iron Maiden

And we’ll celebrate the '80s and simultaneously wrap up our list of Top Ten Martin Birch Albums with ‘The Number of the Beast,’ a release that many experts and fans alike still view as the gold standard for both the band and producer who collaborated on it. Although Maiden and Birch would carry on delivering winner after winner in LP’s like ‘Piece of Mind,’ ’Powerslave’ and ‘Seventh Son of a Seventh Son,’ the tone and template for this incredible partnership (and, by extension, most of the ‘80s metal aesthetic) was undoubtedly set on this amazing record.

Read More: Top 10 Martin Birch Albums | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/marti...ckback=tsmclip

Last edited by SisterNightroad; 01-31-2015 at 02:47 PM..
Old 02-23-2015, 12:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Fellowship Inn

The pub, built in the 1920s in Bellingham, London, has been in serious disrepair since the 1980s, according to the Heritage Lottery Fund

The pub's large theatre (pictured) was once graced by bands including Fleetwood Mac and John Mayall’s Bluesbreakers

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz3SXn0IACB
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Old 02-23-2015, 12:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

[From an article on the Frank Freeman reunion]

Frank Freeman reunion: Clubbers who got their kicks on the A456By Bethan Bell

BBC News

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-h...ester-31538490

Performers at Frank Freeman's included (clockwise from top left) Simon Nicholl from Fairport Convention, Captain Beefheart, Judy Dyble from Fairport Convention, Pete Drumond and Mick Fleetwood
Old 02-23-2015, 07:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stereogum by James Rettig, February 22, 2015

Fort Lean – “Travellin” (Jeremy Spencer Band Cover)

Brooklyn rockers Fort Lean have shared a cover of Jeremy Spencer Band’s “Travellin'” as a teaser for their long-gestating debut album, Quiet Day. “Jeremy Spencer was a guitar player in the initial incarnation of Fleetwood Mac, mostly known for abruptly disappearing while they were on tour in LA and joining a religious cult,” guitarist Zach Fried explained to Brooklyn Vegan. “This might be his greatest contribution to the world of music, I listen to this song a lot.” Hear their dreamy take on the track below.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:40 PM

Default Top 100 ’60s Rock Albums

Top 100 ’60s Rock Albums
by Ultimate Classic Rock Staff

The Top 100 ’60s Rock Albums represent the moment when popular music came of age. In the earliest part of the decade, bands were still regularly referencing earlier sounds and themes. By the middle, something powerful and distinct was happening, which is why the latter part of the ’60s weighs so heavily on our list. A number of bands evolved alongside fast-emerging trends of blues rock, folk rock, psychedelia and hard rock, adding new complexities to the music even as the songs themselves became more topical. If there’s a thread running through the Top 100 ’60s Rock Albums and this period of intense change, it has to do with the forward-thinking artists who managed to echo and, in some cases, advance the zeitgeist. Along the way, legends were made.

'Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac'
Fleetwood Mac (1968): Green, who had met Mick Fleetwood and John McVie as members of John Mayall’s Bluesbreakers, later descended into mental illness – opening the door for a more mainstream turn by the band. There is much to recommend for blues lovers, however, in these gritty early recordings.

Read More: Top 100 '60s Rock Albums | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/60s-r...ckback=tsmclip
Old 05-24-2015, 02:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Mac lads bring Green to the Green

http://www.lep.co.uk/what-s-on/music...reen-1-7262811

The Early Mac Band, BJ’s Rock in the Blues Club, The Minstrel in Eaves Green

As the name implies the roots of this band are in the classic music of Peter Green’s Fleetwood Mac, much of which was performed to perfection. From the Leeds area, they are Luke Smithson on vocals and guitar, Joel Dowson on guitar, Ol Jessop on bass with Peter Tallent on drums and vocals. The band began the set with a tribute to the original Fleetwood Mac. They played the most haunting version of Albatross I have heard, which was well appreciated by the audience.

With If You Be My Baby, a slow powerful 12 bar blues, the two guitarist complemented each other brilliantly. A touch of Garry Moore completed the first, well put together set. The second set brought us foot tapping 12 bar standard blues with Peter Green’s Stop Messing Around, then on to a classic Hendrix number Little Wing, to which the guys did real justice. Performing in their own style, the band played the classic Robert Johnson number Crossroads, which led on to another Hendrix classic of Hey Joe.Returning to the Fleetwood Mac flavour with a great take of Oh Well and one of my favourite tracks ever, Need Your Love So Bad, followed by Black Magic Woman, superb!

The final numbers, It’s All Over Now and a stomping version of Johnny Be Good, got the dancers up. A great end to an enjoyable evening.
Old 06-01-2015, 03:22 PM

35 Years Ago: Whitesnake Declare Themselves ‘Ready an’ Willing’ For A Breakthrough
By Eduardo Rivadavia May 31, 2015 10:12 AM

By the time Whitesnake unveiled their third studio long-player, Ready an’ Willing, on May 31, 1980, David Coverdale’s crew of English blues rockers had already been alive and kicking for a couple of years. But to say they’d achieved true stardom would be something of an overstatement.
Instead, it was Ready an’ Willing that signaled the career turning point they’d been working towards, as it climbed into the U.K. Top 10 and became Whitesnake’s first effort to even chart outside their homeland. The catalyst for all this being the group’s first bona fide hit single in “Fool for Your Loving,” and perhaps some timely upgrades to their lineup, too, with the arrival of former Deep Purple drummer Ian Paice.
By joining up, Paice was of course reuniting with his erstwhile Purple bandmates, Coverdale and organist Jon Lord, and simply adding his formidable talents to those of guitarists Bernie Marsden and Micky Moody, plus bassist Neil Murray — all of which elevated the band’s creative and performing powers to the next level.
This upgrade was perfectly apparent in album standouts like the sharp-tongued “Sweet Talker,” the slowly building “Ain’t Gonna Cry No More,” the bluesy balladry of “Blind Man” (reworked from Coverdale’s solo LP), and that groove monster of a title track.
But enough of our opinions and reminisces. Here’s what Ultimate Classic Rock’s own Matt Wardlaw learned about the period surrounding Ready an’ Willing’s recording and release, from a candid interview with former Whitesnake guitarist Bernie Marsden:

Did the album come together pretty easily?

Yeah, because we had Martin Birch in the studio, the secret weapon as I used to call him. He was dead on the money. He knew. He’d been there with the whole thing with Fleetwood Mac and Deep Purple — we all understood each other and never had to say much. He’d say, I’m ready for a solo” and I’d do a solo and I’d say, “Okay, shall we do it [again]?” and he’d say, “Thank you, I’ve got it” and he was right usually. You learn to trust people like that.

Read More: 35 Years Ago: Whitesnake Declare Themselves 'Ready an' Willing' For A Breakthrough | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/white...ckback=tsmclip
Old 06-13-2015, 01:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[Excerpt from an article about Bob Hall]

The Southern Reporter Saturday 13 June 2015

http://www.thesouthernreporter.co.uk...ills-1-3799283

In the 1970s and 80s Bob led headlining bands Tramp and Rocket 88, whose sidemen included Jack Bruce of Cream, Charlie Watts of The Rolling Stones, and Mick Fleetwood and Danny Kirwan of Fleetwood Mac. In 1991 and 1993 he won the British Blues Connection Instrumentalist of the Year award.
Old 06-13-2015, 05:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
[Excerpt from an article about Bob Hall]

The Southern Reporter Saturday 13 June 2015

http://www.thesouthernreporter.co.uk...ills-1-3799283

In the 1970s and 80s Bob led headlining bands Tramp and Rocket 88, whose sidemen included Jack Bruce of Cream, Charlie Watts of The Rolling Stones, and Mick Fleetwood and Danny Kirwan of Fleetwood Mac. In 1991 and 1993 he won the British Blues Connection Instrumentalist of the Year award.
please correct me if i'm wrong, but i got the impression that you haven't heard of tramp up until now, have you?!

tramp was a sort of loose band project (don't know if they ever played live) that - to the best of my knowledge - recorded 2 albums: the eponymous first album in 1969 (on music man records) and "put a record on" in 1974 (on the spark label). core members were dave kelly, his sister jo-anne, pianist bob hall, danny kirwan, bob brunning and mick fleetwood. the first album is definitely the best as it's a more down-to earth blues-based affair than it's follow-up. the vocals were shared by the kelly siblings, brunning and fleetwood provided a solid rhythm section with hall and kirwan both shining on piano and guitar respectively.

while "put a record on" can easily be neglected (imho), "tramp" is a truly rewarding album for any serious fan of the early mac and their off-shoots.
martin

p.s. as for tramp on cd - all cd editions so far (as far as i know) are just easily detectable vinyl rips. i'm glad i still own a vinyl copy of that first album in near mint condition - the original music man release fetches prices up to 200 gbp, even the re-release on spark can go for up to 120 gbp! so happy hunting . . . !

Last edited by lazy poker; 06-14-2015 at 05:44 AM.. Reason: adding info