Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-16-2020, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJK View Post
Except for that annoying dumbass who wouldn't stop shouting "Oh well!!!"

Apart from that; great concert!
Yea, someone gets a little much. But I'd rather have that than the sterile environment.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Agreed. I think FM was in a unique position for the '74 tour. They needed to promote their new record. But they also needed establish that they were the REAL FM, which required them to delve a lot into their back catalogue. They also were probably eager to promote some of the material from Mystery, which never got a full-tour promotion.
That's interesting; I hadn't thought about the fact that they hadn't had a chance to properly promote "Mystery."

Yeah, I think what I'm truly missing is another of Christine's songs from "Heroes." Those four songs are one of my favorite sets from her on any FM album.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinker12 View Post
That's interesting; I hadn't thought about the fact that they hadn't had a chance to properly promote "Mystery."

Yeah, I think what I'm truly missing is another of Christine's songs from "Heroes." Those four songs are one of my favorite sets from her on any FM album.
Strangely, I forgot they didn't really promote Mystery either. Agreed, by Heroes, Christine's song were fantastic. The title track is not lazy songwriting by any stretch.
Old 09-16-2020, 05:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJK View Post
Except for that annoying dumbass who wouldn't stop shouting "Oh well!!!"

Apart from that; great concert!
“Oh Well” was Fleetwood Mac’s “Taking Care of Business.” I think it may have been the same guy who was screaming “Christine! Christine McVie!” in the earlier parts of the concert....!
Old 09-19-2020, 10:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Strangely, I forgot they didn't really promote Mystery either. Agreed, by Heroes, Christine's song were fantastic. The title track is not lazy songwriting by any stretch.
I love the title tune. Her vocals are fantastic on it, too. I would have preferred an organ instead of the lightweight horns, but otherwise the song is really pleasurable. Its production is dated, as it is on her other HEROES songs. The band were clearly trying to get themselves on the radio by using industry-standard arrangement gimmicks—horns, strings, pedal steel. But the songs are are super strong, Christine’s in particular.

Interesting note: people often cite “You Make Loving Fun” as the first of many FM songs to feature a thick layering of background voices, but it’s actually on the Heroes title tune where multi-layered background vocals were first featured as counterpoint to the melody and lead vocal. If you listen to those background vocals, they tell you that Christine didn’t need Lindsey to teach her how to build a wall of sound from multi-tracked vocals. She and Bob had already figured that out.

“Night Watch” has fantastic harmonies, too, but those are CSNY-inspired block harmonies, not counterpointed.

Last edited by aleuzzi; 09-20-2020 at 08:16 PM..
Old 09-20-2020, 05:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
I love the title tune. Her vocals are fantastic on it, too. I would have preferred an organ instead of the lightweight horns, but otherwise the song is really pleasurable. Its production is dated, as it is on her other HEROES songs. The band were clearly trying to get themselves on the radio by using industry-standard arrangement gimmicks—horns, strings, pedal steel. But the songs are are super strong, Christine’s in particular.

Interesting note: people often cite “You Make Loving Fun” as the first of many FM songs to feature a thick layering of background voices, but it’s actually on the Heroes title tune where multi-layered background vocals was first featured as stunning counterpoint to the melody and lead vocal. If you listen to those background vocals, they tell you that Christine didn’t need Lindsey to teach her how to build a wall of sound from multi-tracked vocals. She and Bob has already figured that out.

“Night Watch” has fantastic harmonies, too, but those are CSNY-inspired block harmonies, not counterpointed.
Yes yes yes! Everything you said!

Like many say including Mick in his last book that Bob changed the band as much as Lindsey and Stevie. The band began to sing and harmonize together.

Heroes is a fantastic album. No charting songs but the album charted in the top 40 which was a first for the band
Old 09-21-2020, 07:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It's really a mystery to me "why" the fabulous Heroes songs disappeared entirely from the set list of the BN era Mac when they hit the road. There was room for at least one and who knows, the exposure could've sent the song up the charts by summer of '76.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Ice View Post
It's really a mystery to me "why" the fabulous Heroes songs disappeared entirely from the set list of the BN era Mac when they hit the road. There was room for at least one and who knows, the exposure could've sent the song up the charts by summer of '76.

New lineup with Christine having 2 singles with SYLM and OMH to play live. World Turning and Station Man were played as a full band songs at the time. You then add Stevie (Rhiannon single) and Lindsey’s new songs plus “ Oh Well” set list is complete.
Old 09-23-2020, 07:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
New lineup with Christine having 2 singles with SYLM and OMH to play live. World Turning and Station Man were played as a full band songs at the time. You then add Stevie (Rhiannon single) and Lindsey’s new songs plus “ Oh Well” set list is complete.
Don’t forget “Get Like You Used to Be,” which open the 1975 shows. And “Hypnotized,” which closed them.
Old 09-23-2020, 01:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Don’t forget “Get Like You Used to Be,” which open the 1975 shows. And “Hypnotized,” which closed them.

Of course and loved them both!
Old 09-23-2020, 05:45 PM

Quote:
The speed she plays and sings GET LIKE is unreal. It's raw talent.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
The speed she plays and sings GET LIKE is unreal. It's raw talent.
You know it. Playing those block chords as quickly and as forcefully as she does is no joke. She once said playing “What Makes You Think You’re the One” left her wrists as limp as spaghetti, but I can’t imagine the strength and control required to knock out the chords in GLYUTB.

During The Dance, her piano work on the intros to “Rhiannon” and “Silver Springs” is so smooth and assured. For her those parts must have felt like a cakewalk in comparison to the barrelhouse blues....
Old 09-24-2020, 09:31 AM

Quote:
You know it. Playing those block chords as quickly and as forcefully as she does is no joke. She once said playing “What Makes You Think You’re the One” left her wrists as limp as spaghetti, but I can’t imagine the strength and control required to knock out the chords in GLYUTB.

During The Dance, her piano work on the intros to “Rhiannon” and “Silver Springs” is so smooth and assured. For her those parts must have felt like a cakewalk in comparison to the barrelhouse blues....
Lightening speed! And if you listen to the White Album Deluxe, GET LIKE LIVE. She solos and then Lindsey solos. Listen to her during LB's solo. Holy Crap!