Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-03-2017, 10:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Loves/Likes/Dislikes

As a way to distract myself from this week's news I thought about Stevie's albums and why I rank them the way I do...the post I did earlier about 24 Karat Gold inspired me...I thought I'd share in case anyone wants to do it again. This is a topic that I'm always interested in because favorite songs can change so often....

BELLA DONNA
I love every song.

THE WILD HEART
I love Wild Heart, Gate and Garden, Nightbird, I Will Run to You, Nothing Ever Changes, Sable on Blond, Stand Back, If Anyone Falls, and Beauty and the Beast.
I like Enchanted.

24 KARAT GOLD
I love 24 Karat Gold, All the Beautiful Worlds, If You Were My Love, Belle Fleur, Mabel Normand, Blue Water, Twisted, Watch Chain, The Dealer.
I like Starshine, She Loves Him Still, Carousel, and Hard Advice
Depending on my mood I either like or just tolerate Cathouse Blues and Lady.
I dislike I Don't Care.

TROUBLE IN SHANGRI-LA
I love Trouble in Shangri-La, Sorcerer, Planets of the Universe, Bombay Sapphires, Fall from Grace, Candlebright, and Love Is
I like Every Day, Two Far from Texas, That Made Me Stronger, It's Only Love, Love Changes, and I Miss You.

IN YOUR DREAMS
I love Moonlight, Secret Love, In Your Dreams, Annabel Lee, Everybody Loves You, You May Be the One, and My Heart
I like For What It's Worth, Wide Sargasso Sea, New Orleans, Italian Summer, and Ghosts Are Gone.
I like the lyrics of Soldier's Angel but I dislike how it sounds.
I like how Cheaper than Free sounds, but I dislike the lyrics.

THE OTHER SIDE OF THE MIRROR
I love Rooms On Fire, Long Away to Go, Ooh My Love, Ghosts, Alice, Juliet and Doing the Best That I Can.
I like Fire Burning, Whole Lotta Trouble, and Cry Wolf
Depending on my mood I like or can tolerate Two Kinds of Love and I Still Miss Someone.

ROCK A LITTLE
I love No Spoken Word, I Can't Wait, I Sing for Things, Imperial Hotel, Talk to Me, and Some Become Strangers
I like Sister Honey, Rock a Little, If I Were You, and Has Anyone Ever Written Anything for You
I can tolerate The Nightmare.

STREET ANGEL
I love Greta, Blue Denim, Listen to the Rain, Love Is Like a River, and Rose Garden
I like Street Angel, Destiny, Docklands, Just Like a Woman, and Kick It.
Depending on my mood I like or can tolerate Unconditional Love and Maybe Love Will Change Your Mind.
I like how Jane sounds but I dislike the lyrics.

Last edited by StevieandChris; 10-03-2017 at 10:13 PM..
Old 10-04-2017, 08:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

There are only a handful of Stevie songs I dislike.

Docklands- ugh!

Jane- so cheesey.

Desert Angel- love the idea and inspiration, hate the execution.

Street Angel- the music, especially. So bad.

Cry Wolf- pure filler. Stevie must have liked this song because she remade it, but it's so lackluster.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
There are only a handful of Stevie songs I dislike.

Docklands- ugh!
Jane- so cheesey.
Desert Angel- love the idea and inspiration, hate the execution.
Street Angel- the music, especially. So bad.
Agreed. You have to wonder what was going through the producers mind when allowing these melodic disasters to make the final album cut. I just can't digest Stevie Nicks singing about "going down to the laundromat" and those "forgotten chimpanzees" bring me to tears of laughter every time. Still, these tunes are delicious FUN to play for friends when you're getting drunk!

"Desert Angel"---"I was born in the desert, so I know how it feels there". Seriously? As you're sitting in your lush million dollar home in swanky Paradise Valley, waking at noon for a facial--it's a bit of a stretch to say that you can identify with a tired soldier living in a tent and eating from a tin tray in the Middle East. I love you, GIRL, but NO!

I'd also like to add "I Don't Care" to this list. What a train wreck !!!
Old 10-05-2017, 04:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I was not a huge fan of Jane when it came out. When I first saw the title, I thought it was about Jane Petty. Its about Jane Goodall so I don't understand why people are freaked out by the word chimpanzee. If you understand her life how can you write a song about her and not mention her work. I think Jane is beautiful especially the "there are angels here on earth sent from God" Its written from the heart and quite the dedication. I just don't understand how one word in the song makes so many bash this song especially the context of what Jane Goodall has done on earth.

The "born in the desert line" also made me cringe comparing her desert to the soldier's desert. However that's vintage Stevie in such a gross comparison so I appreciate it. Desert Angel is such a great song. Of course its tough putting her dedication into music. Its not a pop song with some catchy chorus. I think its done very well especially with the heavy marching sound beat.
I am not a fan of Docklands but I sure did my singing along with this song. It may be difficult to imagine Stevie going to a laundromat but its a song written for her. And these song writers live in the real world.
If we are knocking songs for one word how about Some Become Strangers. "It happened like a hurricane?" Stevie has never lived in the tropics and I cant imagine her using this word to describe anything.
I love the auto-biographical songs or the dedication songs (rare) from Stevie. What I don't like are songs like Talk To Me....sappy pop songs. I just cant picture Stevie waiting by the phone on some self help line or suicide line begging for someone to talk to her when they are down or lonely so she can cheer them up. That is so sappy and cheezy (don't steal my word bwboy)!!!! I just don't see Stevie being such a positive butterfly.
I love the real Stevie in her own words!!!!! So you can give me the dedication songs like Street Angel, Desert Angel, and Jane anyday. They may not have pop song choruses but are written from the heart and very sincere. I think its poetry and what Stevie does best

Last edited by Macfan4life; 10-05-2017 at 12:48 PM..
Old 10-05-2017, 01:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have always taken the Desert Angel line "know how it feels there" to mean the climate. The Arizona heat and the Gulf War heat. Not the soldier's conditions. I googled to see if I was nuts and found this article from 1991.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...s-persian-gulf

"Actually, weather in Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and Iraq-the main theater of operations in the war-is a lot like the climate in parts of Arizona and New Mexico, ranging from hot and dry in the South to cool and mountainous in the North."
Old 10-05-2017, 02:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieandChris View Post
I have always taken the Desert Angel line "know how it feels there" to mean the climate. The Arizona heat and the Gulf War heat. Not the soldier's conditions. I googled to see if I was nuts and found this article from 1991.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...s-persian-gulf

"Actually, weather in Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and Iraq-the main theater of operations in the war-is a lot like the climate in parts of Arizona and New Mexico, ranging from hot and dry in the South to cool and mountainous in the North."
Oh I agree she is talking climate. But I still think its no comparison to a lush life with air conditioning near Phoenix compared to the harsh desert conditions for troops in Saudi Arabia and Kuwait at war.
Its an extreme comparison but Stevie was trying to relate as much as she could. And that part is the sweet Stevie even though some may roll their eyes
Old 10-05-2017, 04:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
Agreed. You have to wonder what was going through the producers mind when allowing these melodic disasters to make the final album cut. I just can't digest Stevie Nicks singing about "going down to the laundromat" and those "forgotten chimpanzees" bring me to tears of laughter every time. Still, these tunes are delicious FUN to play for friends when you're getting drunk!

"Desert Angel"---"I was born in the desert, so I know how it feels there". Seriously? As you're sitting in your lush million dollar home in swanky Paradise Valley, waking at noon for a facial--it's a bit of a stretch to say that you can identify with a tired soldier living in a tent and eating from a tin tray in the Middle East. I love you, GIRL, but NO!
You listed pretty much every reason I dislike those songs, WatchChain. The laundromat line in particular makes me cringe, but the whole song is bad. As for Jane, I think Stevie was struggling with writer's block when she was asked to write a song for Jane Goodall, which is why the song is so literal. Steve's songs are so much better when they're more metaphorical rather than literal. Probably the same problem with Street Angel, but even the music on that song is horrible, right from that truly awful first note.