Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-16-2024, 02:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Having Mike Campbell in Fleetwood Mac was like Greg Brady becoming Johnny Bravo in the Brady Bunch. Stevie hired him because he fit the suit. The suit was she wanted to do Free Falling as a Petty tribute with Mike. She was not going to wait and replace Waddy on her next solo tour. Mike fit the suit for her highly unusual Tom Petty tribute inside a Fleetwood Mac concert.
Old 04-16-2024, 03:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Can I just say (again) what a joke it was when Mick said Neil and Mike were not "replacement" guitarists and were permanent members of the band to tour and make new music with.
When I learned Lindsey was fired I was so upset I started a several months "embargo against Fleetwood Mac". Actually I was angry with the whole band. For few 2018 months I even stopped listening FM music, but the embargo lasts until 2019, I avoided reading news and watching videos of the tour.

Having said that, I allow myself to be surprised and ask MICK SAID THAT???
Old 04-16-2024, 04:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
When I learned Lindsey was fired I was so upset I started a several months "embargo against Fleetwood Mac". Actually I was angry with the whole band. For few 2018 months I even stopped listening FM music, but the embargo lasts until 2019, I avoided reading news and watching videos of the tour.

Having said that, I allow myself to be surprised and ask MICK SAID THAT???
2018 was the first tour I ever missed. F*ck Old Goatsy.
Old 04-16-2024, 04:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tango87 View Post
From a new interview in Mojo magazine with Neil Finn:

Did joining Fleetwood Mac surprise you?
I was gobsmacked. I was 60 and I’d had a wonderfully diverse musical life when Mick called and said, “We’ve got rid of Lindsey, would you play with us?” I’d just done Lightsleeper with Liam so he had a vested interest in me not doing it, but he said, “Give it a shot,” so I auditioned.

What? Neil Finn auditioned?
It’s the only audition I’ve ever done. I went to Hawaii and Mick spent an hour telling me it wasn’t an audition, but it was. I was auditioning them too: I wasn’t sure it was the right thing, I was quite conflicted, but I liked the people and the welcome was universal.

What did you bring?
The naysayers said, “No Lindsey Buckingham, no Fleetwood Mac,” but I brought personality and the ability to sing with Stevie and Christine. I could never be capable of sounding like Lindsey but I put a similar intensity into his songs.

Any contact with Lindsey?
No, but I’d really like to have a dinner with him. There’s a lot of ill-will, but I don’t think he bears any towards me and I do think he had prior appreciation of the music I‘d made. Hopefully, once he got over the massive disappointment, he’d have thought, “At least someone with something going for them is singing my songs.”

Who’s running Fleetwood Mac these days?
It doesn’t currently exist, but when I was there Mick carried the flag. He always has and he’s the heart and soul. Yet Stevie’s the leader in many ways, because Stevie wants it the way Stevie wants it and that’s the way it’ll be. She couldn’t bear to be in a band with Lindsey any more, but she still wanted to do it exactly the way he would have. It was more difficult for Mike Campbell: she was really happy with the way it sounded between me and her, but she put a lot of pressure on Mike to be more like Lindsey. Sometimes Mike’s solos would go on and Stevie would get exhausted playing tambourine. She’d be, “F***ing hell, Lindsey only did 12 bars!”

Notable parts for me: Mick saying 'We've got rid of Lindsey' (sounds awfully like a firing to me...), and 'She couldn’t bear to be in a band with Lindsey any more, but she still wanted to do it exactly the way he would have.' - I call that having your cake and eating it...

https://www.mojo4music.com/magazine/...024-kate-bush/ (Great article on Kate Bush too, for those of you who have taste.)
I bet he and LB could have an interesting dinner.... and I can see LB maybe doing it. But the bit about Lindsey thinking "at least someone with something going on is singing my songs" is like, does this guy know anything about Lindsey?? I think anyone else singing HIS songs with FM will always bring out snarky Lindsey, even now that he's mellowed some with age.
But agree he likely doesn't hold any grudge against Neil for the whole mess.

Stevie has ALWAYS relied on Lindsey to be her musical compass. I recall when she was a mentor on whatever singing competition show she was on, she was paired with Jimmy to help a singer, and every other word out of her mouth was "Lindsey" and "Lindsey and I" etc etc Finally Jimmy said something like "yeah we get it, Lindsey was great" or something. She tried to backtrack and said something like "You were great too" LOL It's like she can never NOT say his name whatever she's doing.
Old 04-16-2024, 05:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Can I just say (again) what a joke it was when Mick said Neil and Mike were not "replacement" guitarists and were permanent members of the band to tour and make new music with.
I think Mick thought there was a chance of new music with Lindsey out. He still mentioned them when asked about the band’s future at the Grammy’s, although he also said Fleetwood Mac was done.

Quote:
These statements dont mean anything to me. I want the juicy stuff like WHO Fleetwood Mac auditioned but did not make the cut. How did Billy know about Lindsey's firing before it was public?
A lot of us knew within a week after MusiCares that there had been some type of falling out with Lindsey and that Mike was the new guy. I think it was a photographer who leaked the information. It was all over a Tom Petty Facebook fan page. I’m sure someone asked Billy about it and he talked to Mick, but he wasn’t considered for the tour. Brett indicated that the band auditioned John Paul White from Civil Wars.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 04-16-2024, 05:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tango87 View Post
It was more difficult for Mike Campbell: she was really happy with the way it sounded between me and her, but she put a lot of pressure on Mike to be more like Lindsey.
I wonder if there are old articles, interviews, where Rick or Billy told about Stevie putting the same pressure on them.
Old 04-16-2024, 05:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
These statements dont mean anything to me. I want the juicy stuff like WHO Fleetwood Mac auditioned but did not make the cut. How did Billy know about Lindsey's firing before it was public?
Its just my opinion but I believe the Mac would not hire Billy without Rick. That would be such an odd thing to do. Stevie already hired Mike so that only left room for 1 replacement. Billy knew the songs so I want details!!!!
Billy said Mick told him over the phone that FM recruited Neil and Mike, and that really hurt Billy’s feelings they didn’t ask him to rejoin. That was why Billy blurted it out on social media before anyone else that Lindsey had been fired.
Old 04-16-2024, 06:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I think Mick thought there was a chance of new music with Lindsey out. He still mentioned them when asked about the band’s future at the Grammy’s, although he also said Fleetwood Mac was done.

A lot of us knew within a week after MusiCares that there had been some type of falling out with Lindsey and that Mike was the new guy. I think it was a photographer who leaked the information. It was all over a Tom Petty Facebook fan page. I’m sure someone asked Billy about it and he talked to Mick, but he wasn’t considered for the tour. Brett indicated that the band auditioned John Paul White from Civil Wars.
So this is what we would have gotten?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RbFsHMqnSQ
Old 04-16-2024, 07:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
I wonder if there are old articles, interviews, where Rick or Billy told about Stevie putting the same pressure on them.
Probably not.

Rick was a sideman who only had 55 days from the day he joined to opening night. He didn’t expectations from the crowd.

Mike is a legendary guitarist in his own right and was trying to put his own spin on the songs. However, Lindsey’s solos, basic as they are, don’t leave a lot of room for interpretation. That said, BMW, TMATTYD, and “Oh Well” were fine and I liked his R&B touches on “Everywhere.”

As for Billy, he was an associate and a fanboy, so he knew exactly what he was getting into.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 04-16-2024, 07:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
These statements don't mean anything to me. I want the juicy stuff like WHO Fleetwood Mac auditioned but did not make the cut. How did Billy know about Lindsey's firing before it was public?
It's just my opinion but I believe the Mac would not hire Billy without Rick. That would be such an odd thing to do. Stevie already hired Mike so that only left room for 1 replacement. Billy knew the songs, so I want details!!!!
Do we have an actual list of guitarists who were "auditioned" as Lindsey's replacement?

Neil Finn, Mike Campbell, John Paul White? Are there any other names?

Do we have confirmation whether or not Billy "been there/done that" Burnett was flown to Hawaii to also "audition"?

Also - it's laughable that Billy Burnett would think, even for a moment, that he would be considered as the replacement. It's likened to Van Halen reforming and calling back Gary Cherone to fill the lead singer spot.

In my opinion, there was no need to audition anyone - Mike Campbell already had the job. Next, since Mike Campbell doesn't sing well, the band needed a second guitarist to function as a vocalist. Enter Neil Finn.

Last edited by WatchChain; 04-16-2024 at 07:47 PM..
Old 04-16-2024, 08:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
Do we have an actual list of guitarists who were "auditioned" as Lindsey's replacement?

In my opinion, there was no need to audition anyone - Mike Campbell already had the job. Next, since Mike Campbell doesn't sing well, the band needed a second guitarist to function as a vocalist. Enter Neil Finn.
Mike was offered the job outright. They listened to a bunch of singers, but only auditioned John Paul White and Neil Finn for vocalist/guitarist. Billy was definitely not auditioned. He only learned about it after Neil was already in the band.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 04-16-2024, 09:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I read an article Ricky Peterson did during the 2018-19 tour. He confirmed that Mike was asked first and he and Mike were in on the auditions. That tells me Stevie had Mike planned all along. But Mick told the press it was his idea. I call Bull****

I have changed, but you remain ageless
Old 04-16-2024, 10:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have no idea how it went but I can just imagine that she had a conniption fit, issued her ultimatum, and then was like sh&t what will I do? She called Mike and said I need you to bail me out!! and gave him the big sales pitch (you need to get back out on the road, that's the best way to get over losing Tom, it'll be good for you and for me, we'll both make a ton of money, etc. I can hear it now) And he said ok I'll consider it. She told Mick Mike was in banking on Mike agreeing...and then they rehearsed and she thought, see this isn't bad at all, and the others probably thought so... and then as the tour went on and Madame wasn't so happy....I'd like to think she came to regret her fit of rage...but....
Old 04-17-2024, 01:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
I have no idea how it went but I can just imagine that she had a conniption fit, issued her ultimatum, and then was like sh&t what will I do? She called Mike and said I need you to bail me out!! and gave him the big sales pitch (you need to get back out on the road, that's the best way to get over losing Tom, it'll be good for you and for me, we'll both make a ton of money, etc. I can hear it now) And he said ok I'll consider it. She told Mick Mike was in banking on Mike agreeing...and then they rehearsed and she thought, see this isn't bad at all, and the others probably thought so... and then as the tour went on and Madame wasn't so happy....I'd like to think she came to regret her fit of rage...but....
She would NEVER admit that regret in a trillion years. But you're probably right. But I even doubt she admits that even to herself. Her STAFF tells her that her farts smell like roses...

WHO RUINED THE ENDING OF FM?

We all know...
Old 04-17-2024, 03:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post

Do we have confirmation whether or not Billy "been there/done that" Burnett was flown to Hawaii to also "audition"?

Also - it's laughable that Billy Burnett would think, even for a moment, that he would be considered as the replacement. It's likened to Van Halen reforming and calling back Gary Cherone to fill the lead singer spot.

Why would you think its laughable Billy would think he would get the job? He replaced Lindsey before and knows the songs. He also was friends and worked with pretty much everyone even before joining. There had to be a reason why and I want to know. There could be some issue with Billy we don't know.
Or the band has really bad memories of the Rick/Billy era?