Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:43 PM
Senior Ledgie

Thumbs up Gift of Screws

I recently downloaded all the solo albums of Lindsey's and so far I have listened to all of Gift of Screws and it is really good. I am giving it another listen through but I head a little of songs from his other albums and wasn't to keen on it, but so far I do like quite a bit of GOS.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I think GoS takes all the best bits of Lindsey's other albums and mashes them together. There's such a range of stuff on there. Glad you're enjoying!
Old 07-20-2010, 12:47 PM
Senior Ledgie

I am glad too, I wanted to see what the rest of the Mac had to offer other then Stevie and even alot of her stuff I still need to take a listen too. I still consider myself a newbie! LOL!

Old 07-20-2010, 01:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I like all of his solo albums....he's the only Mac member who I'm really a fan of their solo career. I'd rank them like this.

Out of the Cradle
Gift of Screws
Go Insane
Under the Skin
Law and Order
Old 07-20-2010, 03:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~GoldDustWoman~ View Post
I recently downloaded all the solo albums of Lindsey's and so far I have listened to all of Gift of Screws and it is really good. I am giving it another listen through but I head a little of songs from his other albums and wasn't to keen on it, but so far I do like quite a bit of GOS.
It's good to see you here again, ~GoldDustWoman~!! I hope Marine life is treating you well!!!!!!!!! I like Gift Of Screws quite a bit, but I think I like Under the Skin better.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVielhaber View Post
I'd rank them like this.

Out of the Cradle
Gift of Screws
Go Insane
Under the Skin
Law and Order
Me too.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:17 AM
Senior Ledgie

No Marine Life for me, I went on terminal leave and ended my active service on July 10th. I however am on Inactive Reserve status until 2013, where I can be called back in if needed. I live with my husband near the base where I used to work and he still works. (he's been in 5 years) We just got a kitten and puppy at the beginning of the month. The kitty came from my mom took an adventure to where i'm from in FL to get her, and we bought the puppy from a pet store the day before we left FL. I am also going to a Community College for a Paralegal degree.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahara View Post
I think GoS takes all the best bits of Lindsey's other albums and mashes them together. There's such a range of stuff on there.
Agreed, and I think that's why the album is so powerful to me. It's so balanced. It has an air of collective wisdom, it's the fruit of a long journey. It's a nod to everything he's been in the past, yet is still progressively looking forward. It has to be one of the strongest Mac member solo albums of them all.

My fav song from GOS is without a doubt Bel Air Rain. I think it's one of the neatest songs he's ever recorded. It's like an acoustic guitar tornado, yet it's utterly simple. The lyrics are probably the most revealing of his entire career, too. Great song, great album!
Old 07-22-2010, 06:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Agreed, and I think that's why the album is so powerful to me. It's so balanced. It has an air of collective wisdom, it's the fruit of a long journey. It's a nod to everything he's been in the past, yet is still progressively looking forward. It has to be one of the strongest Mac member solo albums of them all.

My fav song from GOS is without a doubt Bel Air Rain. I think it's one of the neatest songs he's ever recorded. It's like an acoustic guitar tornado, yet it's utterly simple. The lyrics are probably the most revealing of his entire career, too. Great song, great album!
Mine too...such a cool song. Bel Air Rain is sublime.

The whole album is great. I like Treason a lot too. And Underground. And Wait For You...OK, I like the whole thing - every song!

GoldDustWoman, since you say you're a newbie, I recommend you give GOS and his other albums a fair listen. Listen all the way through...don't jump around. They really are meant to be heard that way. I had a hard time liking his solo stuff at first, too, but, I am truly completely addicted now SO much great work from Lindsey. I listened to OOTC on a short road trip when I first discovered Lindsey ( just a few years ago ), and it was sooooo good ( again, the WHOLE album...not bits and pieces ). Go Insane is certainly " dated", but not in a bad way, and if you have a good pair of headphones, it sounds amazing! Lindsey is so unique, and I've found a lot to love in all his albums.

So, I guess the point is, I think he might grow on you...he certainly grew on me

------------------------------------
Old 07-22-2010, 09:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~GoldDustWoman~ View Post
No Marine Life for me, I went on terminal leave and ended my active service on July 10th. I however am on Inactive Reserve status until 2013, where I can be called back in if needed. I live with my husband near the base where I used to work and he still works. (he's been in 5 years) We just got a kitten and puppy at the beginning of the month. The kitty came from my mom took an adventure to where i'm from in FL to get her, and we bought the puppy from a pet store the day before we left FL. I am also going to a Community College for a Paralegal degree.
I'm surprised to hear that you are no longer serving. I thought you were enjoying yourself in the Marines. It's good to hear that you are going to school for the career you really want. I'm sure you'll be a first-class Paralegal!
Old 07-22-2010, 10:11 PM
Registered

Quote:
The lyrics are probably the most revealing of his entire career, too.
Perhaps, although it does revolve around subjects/themes Lindsey has been all too happy to discuss post-Rumours.

Now, as far as lyrics that help to shape a story that has otherwise remained unspoken? The album bookends, Great Day/Treason.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:33 PM
Senior Ledgie

So far I definently like Bel-Air Rain, Great Day, and the Right Place to Fade. I am going on a trip to texas with my husband to visit his family for the first time and he is driving. So I decided I need to add a bunch of new music to my ipod and I figured stock up on Mac stuff, i downloaded alot including the original Mac Cds, also downloaded some stuff from the Spice Girls (I had to, I liked them as a girl), included a bit of solo work from them. And i got all the Beatles albums too....mmmh I wonder what else to add any suggestions? I'm open to anything....

Old 07-23-2010, 10:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I LOVE GOS. Treason most of all

Mick

-Tom Waits
Old 07-24-2010, 06:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I just saw Todd Haynes' STAGGERING Life During Wartime. I kept thinking of "Treason." Indeed, the film's only flaw is that Lindsey Buckingham did not write the title track. Though he SHOULD cover it.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Perfectly put