The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm not one for soccer, but when I flipped on ABC yesterday, I saw the Brits and Americans were tied 1-1. Who won?

You can add me on Facebook
Old 06-13-2010, 09:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

No one, we drew because we've got a **** keeper.

Oh Yeah Christine McVie | Tumblr
Old 06-13-2010, 09:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterCookie View Post
And yet, I still associate that sport with being in elementary school and "playing soccer" by having about 30 kids pile onto one black and white ball with hopes of kicking it.

You can add me on Facebook
Old 06-13-2010, 10:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferuk View Post
I would pack lots of layers--short sleeved tops/t-shirts, long sleeve or 3/4 length sleeve etc, a sweater and a waterproof coat. I haven't been that way in a couple of years but I remember the wind--thought I was going to blow off the cliff! It could easily be 50 degrees and windy or 70 and sunny so prepare for all cases and check online weather before you go. Many European homes/hotels do not have A/C as heat waves are rare, but do happen.

We moved to the USA from London about 3 years ago and we go to Europe about once a year. I pack jeans, black trousers, shirts of varying weight/sleeve length, a light coat and something for evenings out (skirt of easy-travel black dress). On the plane I usually wear comfy shoes and clothes that won't get too wrinkled. We've become expert at travelling light from all the times we've had to lug bags on trains, etc.

Check out the Rick Steves website for good info--a friend reco'd that to us and it's a helpful site.

Make sure your camera batteries are fully charged--you'll take tons of shots at the cliffs. I've got some framed as 8x10 on my office walls-stunning images.
Thanks so much!! I am no where close to mastering the art of traveling light, so i need to really plan this out. I got the impression that i will need to layer and that the temps would vary by location.

Luckily we are staying at a house for the entire duration and i'll have access to a washer and dryer. That should help with what I need to pack. I have almost everything I need, but i'm still scoping out a good waterproof windbreaker. I'm actually off to the mall shortly to see if i can snag one.

I'm really looking forward to this and hope this is the first of many trips for me over to Europe!

How do you like living in the states? Is the day to day a lot different from how life is in London? Where in Ohio are you?
Old 06-13-2010, 01:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefox4000 View Post
Getting married next month....so kinda cool.....lol

Mick
Congratulations, Mick. Is it going to be a big event, or a smaller and more intimate gathering? Where are you going for your honeymoon?
Old 06-13-2010, 02:35 PM
Senior Ledgie

I love summer!! I'm a teacher so I'm off. We always spend a week in Laughlin and take the boat out to Lake Mojave. This summer is special because my stepdaughter is having a baby due July 5th, so I'm going to be a Grandma lol.

I'm also going to see Stevie in Lake Tahoe. Was hoping she'd come closer to So Cal, but at this point do you think she'll add any more shows??

Everyone who loves summer - Enjoy!
Old 06-13-2010, 04:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amlyn View Post
Thanks so much!! I am no where close to mastering the art of traveling light, so i need to really plan this out. I got the impression that i will need to layer and that the temps would vary by location.

Luckily we are staying at a house for the entire duration and i'll have access to a washer and dryer. That should help with what I need to pack. I have almost everything I need, but i'm still scoping out a good waterproof windbreaker. I'm actually off to the mall shortly to see if i can snag one.

I'm really looking forward to this and hope this is the first of many trips for me over to Europe!

How do you like living in the states? Is the day to day a lot different from how life is in London? Where in Ohio are you?
We like it here--it's very different and there are things I miss (proximity to Europe--easy to hop to Paris, etc, public transport, friends/fam) and things that I don't (London is crowded, expensive, damp and mouldy). A lot of that is not as much US/Uk differences as it is big city/suburb differences--our jobs kept us in London until a transfer and ill MIL got us here. Ohio would not have been our first choice but it's been fine and I love the public smoking ban (which the UK now has, too). We live in a suburb of Columbus and it reminds us a bit of Europe---we live in an old Victorian house, can walk 3 blocks to 2 pubs, library, a big park, French bakery. There is a twice weekly farmers market and no McDonalds for miles (we had 4 Starbucks on our street in London--I don't like chains or cookie-cutter neighbourhoods).

Biggest day-to-day difference is the weather but we've adjusted to the extremes and like the hot summers. We have a slightly longer working day here, but much less commuting time--there it took me 90 minutes to travel the 10 miles to work. Here, it seems we can get anywhere in 15 minutes but it's car not train travel. We plan to move back to the UK at some point (15+ yrs from now) to a quiet village.

You'll have such a wonderful adventure--make sure to report back!
Old 06-13-2010, 04:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterCookie View Post
And this is why we watched the match at home. Alone. Another keeper error
Old 09-06-2010, 08:55 PM
Registered

GOOD RIDDANCE!