Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Go to the 0:22 mark.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-03-2013, 03:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Chapters are closing. We are coming to the end of these stories and I just hope we don't have any more that close as tragically.

Michele
Old 02-04-2013, 12:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Here's the thing that I find weird. Christine has been praising "Mystery To Me" as her distant third favorite Fleetwood Mac album, behind "Rumours" or FM, and thought that she and Welch sounded good together.

I get that Bob rubbed her the wrong way, and I get that she was especially angry with him after the lawsuit, but if she thought that highly of him as an artist, then I don't see how the other would cloud her judgement of his significance to Fleetwood Mac. Of course, maybe some of that appreciation has only come about after being so far removed from the music business for so long.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-04-2013, 02:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post

I get that Bob rubbed her the wrong way, and I get that she was especially angry with him after the lawsuit, but if she thought that highly of him as an artist, then I don't see how the other would cloud her judgement of his significance to Fleetwood Mac. Of course, maybe some of that appreciation has only come about after being so far removed from the music business for so long.
Maybe his death has moved her. Maybe she wanted him out of the HOF for reasons having nothing to do with his talent and only because she was angry. Maybe she fully recognized his talent but wanted to hit him where it hurt. Or maybe we don't know the whole story. That's the problem with Wendy. I get that she's grieving. I'm sure if you find your husband like that you never get over it. But I have a problem with accusers who don't tell the whole story. They just HINT at the worst and leave us to fill in the gaps in ways that may not be accurate or fair.

If Christine did something to Bob Welch that his widow wants us to know about, then spell it out with all the details. Don't say he was kept out of the hall of fame and you don't even know the worst of it, leaving that to our imaginations.

Either tell us the worst of it and let us judge and condemn or understand or otherwise stop inferring things.

Michele
Old 02-04-2013, 02:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question Sentimental Lady video

Could someone tell me what Christine says in that Sentimental Lady live video that SteveMacD posted? I cannot understand it.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondergirl9847 View Post
Could someone tell me what Christine says in that Sentimental Lady live video that SteveMacD posted? I cannot understand it.
I'm not sure what Steve was pointing out. Maybe I'm missing something. From what I can tell, Bob says that you might know Sentimental Lady and Christine just repeats after him copying his inflection and says, "You might know this one."

I mean, it's like her saying "that is weird" to Lindsey. She may mean, "it's not weird at all. You're an idiot," but one cannot tell.

Michele
Old 02-04-2013, 04:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I'm not sure what Steve was pointing out. Maybe I'm missing something. From what I can tell, Bob says that you might know Sentimental Lady and Christine just repeats after him copying his inflection and says, "You might know this one."

I mean, it's like her saying "that is weird" to Lindsey. She may mean, "it's not weird at all. You're an idiot," but one cannot tell.

Michele
Yeah my guess is the sarcastic tone Bob always felt Chris had so I think Steve was referring to Chris possibly taking the piss out of Bob regarding the way he said that (though I have no problem with how he said it but again like you say, we are left to shoot in the dark so this is probably a bad guess on my part).

John
Old 02-04-2013, 09:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Ahhh.....

OK, I finally got to hear it on good speakers. So, she's kinda making fun of him, in the way she says exactly what he said in that mocking voice. Got it.

I always got the impression that Christine was that type of person anyway. She seems like she's permanently going to everyone.

But.....don't know her personally, that's just from what I've seen in interviews and stuff.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

I'm glad that Bob is finally getting his due. it stinks that it has to come after his death.
I love every FM album he was a part of. Plus his band Paris was pretty good, too.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love Bob Welch's contributions to the band. He was the beginning of the transformation that would eventually pave the way for the Buckingham/Nicks years. In the article, Welch says he did what he had to do and there were no regrets. I have to question, can this be honest?
Welch leaves the band in 1974 when all of them were practically broke. A SHORT three years later they are the biggest selling band in the universe. MONEY was flowing out their asses. Did the phrase, "****, I f***ed up" ever cross his mind?

Yes, I know, without Buckingham/Nicks, the success may NEVER have happened. But, did Bob want to go crawling back on his knees?
Old 02-18-2013, 11:54 PM
Registered

I finally bought all of the Bob Welch albums last year and they really are fantastic. Mystery to Me, Bare Trees and Heroes Are Hard to Find are probably my favourite three. It's a true shame that the material was so overlooked upon release, especially here in the UK where none of it charted. They should have scored some big hit singles during this period with songs like Why, Spare Me a Little, Come a Little Bit Closer, Did You Ever Love Me and Hypnotized. A true shame.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:12 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post

Yes, I know, without Buckingham/Nicks, the success may NEVER have happened. But, did Bob want to go crawling back on his knees?
I recall Bob answering a question similar to this during his Q&A on here. If I remember correctly he felt that it was the right time to leave the band at the point he did and wanted to risk it on his own. He said that "French Kiss" and "Three Hearts" both sold well on their own so it's not like he was without success of his own when FM broke big in the 1970s. I think he offered to rejoin the band when Lindsey left in the 1980s but the band turned him down. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong about that. I did try to find his answer of the Q&A page but couldn't see it.

Last edited by TheSorcerer; 02-19-2013 at 12:28 AM..
Old 02-19-2013, 07:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

What I find interesting is that after the Tusk tour, Mick asked Bob if he wanted to go along on The Visitor trip. He turned it down. I wonder if that had something to do with his being turned down later in '87?
Old 02-19-2013, 08:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
What I find interesting is that after the Tusk tour, Mick asked Bob if he wanted to go along on The Visitor trip. He turned it down. I wonder if that had something to do with his being turned down later in '87?
I doubt it. Billy was already going to be a second guitarist on the Tango tour even if Lindsey had stayed, and Mick had been doing some work with Rick. My hunch is that the minute Lindsey walked out the door, Mick knew what he was going to do. I doubt there was seriously that level of thought involved in Bob being turned down.

In any event, my understanding is that Bob's involvement would have only been temporary anyway (i.e. Peter Green in 1971).

THE Stephen Hopkins