Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2002, 09:06 AM

From Sorcerer:

"Umm...I really don't agree with the money making scheme thing. First of all, any greatest hits thing has a few new songs, which
hopefully at least one will spin off into a great single and hit."

Sorcerer, I don't know how old you are, but you are either naive of just plain too young. The reason that labels and bands put new songs in Greatest Hits albums is to make you go out and buy them. That is a money-grubbing scheme. Think about it. Do you think that besides the 50 people who post here regularly the American listening public at large is going to go out and buy another Greatest Hits from Fleetwood Mac if there's nothing new on it?

Wake up.

And let me go out on a limb here, if this Greatest Hits package sells more than say a million and a half, I will be shocked. The music business has changed. Anyone with a decent computer can download tracks off the web. Do you think people are going to flock to the stores to buy this recycled stuff? Please, the reason they will put in a couple of new songs and an alternative take or two in this thing is so you will buy it. I for one, will download the new stuff. Somewhere, there will be a site that has it. As for the rest, I already have it.
Old 06-26-2002, 11:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

sure CarneVaca, don't buy the GH. The band doesn't care if you steal from them.

it's one thing to download songs that are unavailable to buy at stores(thta's ok) but if it's released in a store, you can't just decide not to buy it and instead steal from the band.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 06-26-2002, 12:06 PM

Hey, Hawkeye, how did you like the Gift of Screws tracks?
Old 06-26-2002, 12:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hey CarneVaca.....Gift Of Screws is unavailable to buy. We have no choice but to download it. You are talking about downloading tracks that will be available in shops on a GH cd.

Pip
Old 06-26-2002, 01:45 PM

No one here should be stupid or hypocritical enough to believe that downloading those Gift of Screws songs was perfectly legal. They were STOLEN from somewhere. They were never released. That makes it even WORSE. So don't fool yourself into thinking that just because they weren't officially released, you had a right to download them.

In most states, if not all, knowingly accepting stolen property is a crime too. So what does that make us all?
Old 06-26-2002, 02:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
No one here should be stupid or hypocritical enough to believe that downloading those Gift of Screws songs was perfectly legal. They were STOLEN from somewhere. They were never released. That makes it even WORSE. So don't fool yourself into thinking that just because they weren't officially released, you had a right to download them.

In most states, if not all, knowingly accepting stolen property is a crime too. So what does that make us all?

Are you calling me stupid??? Where did I say that it was legal? And is Sorcerer not entitled to her opinion without having to be called 'naive' or 'too young'?
Boy how a thread can change direction is amazing. People are giving differing opinions here and I think it makes for great reading. I like a good debate as much as the next person. Let's try to act grown up enough to stay away from the name calling

Pip

Last edited by Gypsy-Rhiannon; 06-26-2002 at 02:15 PM..
Old 06-26-2002, 02:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, it just makes you wonder what some people are doing here. No, I'm not naive NOR "just too young." I know how the music industry works, and like I said, if the members of Fleetwood Mac just wanted to make money, they would TOUR. Bands make tons more money touring than through album sales. But you know, go ahead and download the new songs on the new GH package. Don't support Fleetwood Mac. And yes, sit there and call people stupid and hypocritical for downloading GOS songs. At least the majority of the people here would still BUY the album if it ever did come out. I think it's far more hypocritical to call yourself a fan but bash the band and say they are money grubbers. Just my opinion, I don't know if anyone would agree there.

Gypsy-Rhiannon, hehe, I'm a "he." Lol, don't worry about it though.

Quote:
And is Sorcerer not entitled to her opinion
Old 06-26-2002, 03:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Gypsy-Rhiannon, hehe, I'm a "he." Lol, don't worry about it though.
I'm sorry Sorcerer!!! lol!

Pip
Old 06-26-2002, 05:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default the bottom line is

Everyone needs to take a G#$% D#@#% FU#(@ CHILL PILL gezus folks..get a GRIP!!

FOR REAL
Old 06-26-2002, 11:26 PM
Ledgie

Cool

Hmmm, good advice. And on that note I think I'll have some chocolate.

Good night!
Old 06-27-2002, 08:48 AM

"Are you calling me stupid??? Where did I say that it was legal? And is Sorcerer not entitled to her opinion without having to be called 'naive' or 'too young'?"

The post to which I was replying sure came across as stupid. If you think that it's OK to download music that was stolen from a studio and it's not OK to download music that someone who bought it uploaded to a peer-to-peer sharing site, well, yes, that is pretty stupid.

Now, if you care to recant because you had a moment of temporary lack of judgement, that would be smart.

"No, I'm not naive NOR "just too young." I know how the music industry works..."

And Sorcerer, you're right I had no business calling you naive. But your post made you seem so. You didn't seem to understand that record companies put new songs in greatest hits packages for marketing reasons. Here's your quote:

"Umm...I really don't agree with the money making scheme thing. First of all, any greatest hits thing has a few new songs, which
hopefully at least one will spin off into a great single and hit."

Call it marketing, "money-grubbing," whatever. Same idea.

"Gypsy-Rhiannon, hehe, I'm a "he." Lol, don't worry about it though."

Ah, assumptions ... they'll get you in trouble every time!

Report this post
Old 06-27-2002, 10:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
If you think that it's OK to download music that was stolen from a studio and it's not OK to download music that someone who bought it uploaded to a peer-to-peer sharing site, well, yes, that is pretty stupid.
The GOS album was not really stolen from a studio (the demos probably have their own fascinating history). It was taken from the offices of the label's head guy at the time, Dave Kahne, & used to return a "favor" to some folks in the artists & rep office of another label. This kind of thing probably happens a lot. Still, the effect is the same: the fans get a hold of some things that are definitely not meant for them. I know it's shady & corrupt, but I wish it happened more often! And maybe it will.

I remember when Jim Ladd previewed the whole "Rock a Little" album on KLOS in 1985 a couple of days before it was available in stores. But, clever DJ that he is, he talked over the intros & outros of each track specifically so that people wouldn't tape it & sell it. And somebody at the same station did the same thing the following year with "Tango."
Old 06-27-2002, 10:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The post to which I was replying sure came across as stupid. If you think that it's OK to download music that was stolen from a studio and it's not OK to download music that someone who bought it uploaded to a peer-to-peer sharing site, well, yes, that is pretty stupid.

Now, if you care to recant because you had a moment of temporary lack of judgement, that would be smart.
Please show me where I said I thought it was OK to download music that you claim was stolen???? You have no idea what I think and so I suggest you don't try to guess. You are clearly not very good at it.

Pip
Old 06-27-2002, 11:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking ok everyone needs to relax........

before the shut down this damn board. please, everyone, stop and take a minute to realize that posting messages on boards like this can be read the wrong way. ok?

pip, hun, just let it go. don't let carbevaca get to you. just think happy thoughts ok mama.

mimi

Last edited by tyshiria; 06-27-2002 at 11:26 AM..
Old 06-27-2002, 11:54 AM

"Please show me where I said I thought it was OK to download music that you claim was stolen???? You have no idea what I think and so I suggest you don't try to guess. You are clearly not very good at it."

I could give a crap less what you think, really. But here's what you said:

"Gift Of Screws is unavailable to buy. We have no choice but to download it. You are talking about downloading tracks that will be available in shops on a GH cd."

The point is the same. Regardless of whence it came, the songs were obtained illegally. As David explained, they were given to someone by someone who took them from the office of an executive at the label. Call it what you will, but unless Lindsey clearly said, "Give the songs to someone, and have them posted everywhere on the web," they were stolen. It's pretty simple.

Saying "we have no choice but to download it" is outrageous. You do have choices. And one of them is not to download it. You were implicitly siding with the goofball who criticized me for saying I would download new songs off the "greatest hits" album, rather than buy it, and since you admitted to downloading songs, it makes you hypocritical.

If you still don't get that, stupidity may indeed be the issue.
Closed Thread