User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-30-2019, 10:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel75 View Post
In the Tusk remaster linear notes LB says Save me a place was written more about Stevie not CAH
on the other hand we know he's sometimes full of sh*t and has multiple completely opposite interpretations of the same song, like one interpretation per decade.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-30-2019, 10:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
on the other hand we know he's sometimes full of sh*t and has multiple completely opposite interpretations of the same song, like one interpretation per decade.
Id tend to agree, SN in particular is even more notorious for changing her song interpretations and meanings.

But in this case and to put it so public as in on liner notes I tend to think he is being very genuine and honest here....

Stevie and I had compartmentalised our emotions in order to [get through Rumours], lived in denial. Same with Christine and John. None of us had the luxury of distance to get closure. You get to Tusk and there’s a real aggressive attitude in a lot of the songs from me. But “Save Me A Place” is one where, late at night, you reflect on the vulnerability underneath that. It’s about a feeling that’s been laid off to one side and maybe not been fully dealt with, sadness and a sense of loss. There’s also a sense of loss for my youth and my upbringing; memories of that, which I loved so much, and how I saw that receding away.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB Freakazoid View Post
I remember LB saying in an interview that when he wrote 'Stephanie' he didn't have a name for it, so SN herself said, "why don't you name it Stephanie?", and he was like, "ok".
I'm pretty certain the clip you are referring to is one of the tracks on the Words And Music CD.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
In the Tusk remaster linear notes LB says Save me a place was written more about Stevie not CAH
But Carol said in her book that the title came from a direct conversation the two were having. Speaking of Carol, that leads me to another question. Did she ever find someone? Reading her book, I was touched by the amount of devotion she had towards Lindsey, especially running barefoot to the doctor's office for his pain meds. I really think she'd make someone a perfect wife. She deserves it.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by singertobe View Post
But Carol said in her book that the title came from a direct conversation the two were having.
Carol wishes to believe the song is about her. Are you surprised that she has found a way to justify that belief to herself, despite Lindsey never saying it was about her?

But when the songwriter himself actually does say it is about another woman (Stevie), and not only says it but has it put in writing on the album's liner notes...

Well, I think we should give a bit more credibility to the latter statement, don't you?

Last edited by sodascouts; 01-31-2019 at 11:41 AM..
Old 01-31-2019, 05:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
Carol wishes to believe the song is about her. Are you surprised that she has found a way to justify that belief to herself, despite Lindsey never saying it was about her?

But when the songwriter himself actually does say it is about another woman (Stevie), and not only says it but has it put in writing on the album's liner notes...

Well, I think we should give a bit more credibility to the latter statement, don't you?
In that case, are there any love songs about Carol?
Old 01-31-2019, 07:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Id tend to agree, SN in particular is even more notorious for changing her song interpretations and meanings.

But in this case and to put it so public as in on liner notes I tend to think he is being very genuine and honest here....

Stevie and I had compartmentalised our emotions in order to [get through Rumours], lived in denial. Same with Christine and John. None of us had the luxury of distance to get closure. You get to Tusk and there’s a real aggressive attitude in a lot of the songs from me. But “Save Me A Place” is one where, late at night, you reflect on the vulnerability underneath that. It’s about a feeling that’s been laid off to one side and maybe not been fully dealt with, sadness and a sense of loss. There’s also a sense of loss for my youth and my upbringing; memories of that, which I loved so much, and how I saw that receding away.
while i think that's nicely said, it kinda looks like one of those template stories LB puts together and then picks the song to fit it to. like that speech about "the importance and power of change" that he used for Big Love most recently, and for some other songs on previous tours. the 2 sentences that i highlighted are the only ones that are specific to Tusk songs in general and mention SMAP in particular. all the rest is his more general stuff that looks like he's written to use somewhere in some linear notes.

that said, yeah SMAP can be about either of those 2 women, or both of them, or just some nice lyrics he fit to the music he wrote about someone or no one specific. we know he writes music and arrangement first, and then tries to find some lyrics that might fit.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"

Last edited by elle; 01-31-2019 at 07:33 PM..
Old 02-02-2019, 01:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Can't Go Back may have a little Stevie in it. At any rate, it has a whole lot of nostalgia for a lost love in it.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 02-06-2019, 01:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
I remember you telling us this after the show, while eating free popcorn!

He was chatty that day, right? It was a long M&G line but he was willing to talk to all of us, about anything you wanted to know. I think it was my most talkative M&G. We were lucky.
he was indeed chatty that evening, so it seemed to me... you guys have gone to more shows so you have a better comparison of how it stacked up to previous shows. He blabbed with me a hella lot longer than I expected so I was thrilled!!!

and he was def irked about Stevie and wasn't at all inhibited about venting it.

ah, the free popcorn! It was very cool meeting you all.

I also remember how frickin' cold it was, and I grew up there! Glad I live somewhere warmer now!!
Old 02-06-2019, 06:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
he was indeed chatty that evening, so it seemed to me... you guys have gone to more shows so you have a better comparison of how it stacked up to previous shows. He blabbed with me a hella lot longer than I expected so I was thrilled!!!

ah, the free popcorn! It was very cool meeting you all.

I also remember how frickin' cold it was, and I grew up there! Glad I live somewhere warmer now!!
gotta love straightforward no-filter off-the-cuff real life LB!

Old 02-08-2019, 04:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
What'd he say? What'd he say?
Spill, Bomby!

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 02-08-2019, 05:00 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
What'd he say? What'd he say?
Spill, Bomby!
Ditto, my ears are piqued!
Old 02-08-2019, 08:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've posted about this before. He just said that he believes Stevie isn't writing anymore, that she doesn't have any new material, and she didn't want to record with the band because she didn't want it to be obvious to everyone that she had nothing new to offer. He said he was remaining creatively active and putting her old stuff out would highlight that she isn't. I mentioned Extended Play [because it had come up repeatedly recently on my iPod which reminded me of how good the songs were] and I thanked him for doing it and how I loved his songs, and he said that was all written to try and entice her back into recording, especially Miss Fantasy. That was the gist of it.