Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-11-2019, 12:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default "I love you Stevie" Songs?

Sort of a sequel to my question about Christine and John. We know Save Me A Place was an "I love you, Carol Ann" song and It Was You is an "I love you, Kristen" song. Go Your Own Way is about his breakup with Stevie, most of the songs on Go Insane were about his breakup with Carol Ann, and Stevie wrote Without You and Crystal as "I Love You, Lindsey" songs. But surely in the time they were together, Lindsey must've written something for Stevie right? RIGHT?
Old 01-11-2019, 12:37 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by singertobe View Post
Sort of a sequel to my question about Christine and John. We know Save Me A Place was an "I love you, Carol Ann" song and It Was You is an "I love you, Kristen" song. Go Your Own Way is about his breakup with Stevie, most of the songs on Go Insane were about his breakup with Carol Ann, and Stevie wrote Without You and Crystal as "I Love You, Lindsey" songs. But surely in the time they were together, Lindsey must've written something for Stevie right? RIGHT?
Never thought about this. He doesn't have many song about her written in a good way. There's "Frozen Love", though I'm not sure how much of that he wrote versus Stevie (it's credited to both). The only thing that comes close is "Stephanie", which is obviously named after her and a very pretty song... even though its an instrumental

"The face of a pretty girl x1,000,000" -Isn't It Midnight (The song that got me into Christine McVie)

"The sun is bright, but not too bright to see. When the darkness comes you've got to fly into the light." -Doing What I Can (The song that got me into Lindsey Buckingham)

"I can still hear you saying you would never break the chain" -The Chain (The song that got me into Fleetwood Mac)
Old 01-11-2019, 08:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

a good number of loving (as a i care for you) songs for her in his later opus - It Takes Time of the recent ones and Say Goodbye come to mind. also Sad Angel really is loving.

i know people say Go Your Own Way or Second Hand News are kiss off, but they are actually loving kiss offs(or i still wanna have sex at least in case of SHN lol) - if i could i'd give you my world, but you wouldn't take it from me - that is love.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-11-2019, 11:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I assume you aren't counting Stephanie given it doesn't have lyrics.

I'd like to agree with the above post which said, many of his songs for Stevie are, I still love you if you'd just love me, type of songs. While the common belief is that Go Insane is about Carol Ann, I personally think it's him talking just as much to Stevie, saying I'm going through all of this because I don't have you, I'd rather be with you.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:29 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
a good number of loving (as a i care for you) songs for her in his later opus - It Takes Time of the recent ones and Say Goodbye come to mind. also Sad Angel really is loving.
I googled It Takes Time and found two different sets of lyrics! Are there two songs by that name? I thought the one that talked about her saving him was about Kristen? Hmm...
Old 01-11-2019, 12:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I may be wrong but didn’t Mick say all 3 songs LB contributed to the EP were written for Stevie?
Old 01-11-2019, 02:56 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan4136 View Post
I assume you aren't counting Stephanie given it doesn't have lyrics.

I'd like to agree with the above post which said, many of his songs for Stevie are, I still love you if you'd just love me, type of songs. While the common belief is that Go Insane is about Carol Ann, I personally think it's him talking just as much to Stevie, saying I'm going through all of this because I don't have you, I'd rather be with you.
I remember LB saying in an interview that when he wrote 'Stephanie' he didn't have a name for it, so SN herself said, "why don't you name it Stephanie?", and he was like, "ok".

When you don't know what it is
But you can't get enough of it
Old 01-11-2019, 04:16 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storms123 View Post
I may be wrong but didn’t Mick say all 3 songs LB contributed to the EP were written for Stevie?
I do think that’s true now. It is an intense song, too.
So this is the link w the weird lyrics. Do u know where they come from?

https://www.google.com/search?client...4GADz9VRaNAAAA
Old 01-11-2019, 10:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB Freakazoid View Post
I remember LB saying in an interview that when he wrote 'Stephanie' he didn't have a name for it, so SN herself said, "why don't you name it Stephanie?", and he was like, "ok".
If that isn't true love, nothing is.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I assume you aren't counting Stephanie given it doesn't have lyrics..
not counting it because that song was not written for or about Stevie. he said that he didn't have a title for it, so she said to title it Stephanie, and he said ok.

Quote:
yes - his songs about Stevie from the period early after their breakup seem to be about how much love he has for her, but that she doesn't want that love anymore. Stevie's songs about Lindsey from that period are more scolding him for not appreciating her enough than any love she may had for him (you will know what you lost). even songs from later period - like Thrown Down, don't express her love but want him to prove that he will now be good for her. she seems to crave appreciation from him.

for Go Insane he did answer a tweet recently and said it was about Stevie, too. and most interpretations say it's about both Carol and Stevie, because "she's a lot like you" obviously refers to two different women.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storms123 View Post
i don't know whether Mick said it, but Lindsey certainly did. i guess in It Takes Times especially, maybe trying to give her that appreciation she seemed to have been continually craving from him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB Freakazoid View Post
yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlynow View Post
I do think that’s true now. It is an intense song, too.
So this is the link w the weird lyrics. Do u know where they come from?

https://www.google.com/search?client...4GADz9VRaNAAAA
yeah i googled it after you pointed that out - no idea where that song came from. it's listed as LB / FM song too. anyone else here knows?
the song i was referring too was It Takes Time from FM Extended Play, 2013, and definitely not that one at this link.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-11-2019, 11:35 PM
Senior Ledgie

https://www.discogs.com/Peter-Green-...elease/4985009

The link above shows an old FM album with performance of It Takes Time by Brunning Sunflower Blues Band. If u google that band, u can read more. So that first google link seems incorrect and misleading.

I’ve enjoyed listening to Extended Play today since this topic arose. 😀
Old 01-13-2019, 01:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

the 3 songs on the EP were written by him to appeal to her and remind her of their connection. I got to talk with him briefly about the EP at one of his shows. He said point blank those were written to try and entice her into the studio, and he mentioned Miss Fantasy in particular. I told him It Takes Time was beautiful as well.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:48 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
the 3 songs on the EP were written by him to appeal to her and remind her of their connection. I got to talk with him briefly about the EP at one of his shows. He said point blank those were written to try and entice her into the studio, and he mentioned Miss Fantasy in particular. I told him It Takes Time was beautiful as well.
Nice conversation, thanks for sharing!
Old 01-13-2019, 08:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
I remember you telling us this after the show, while eating free popcorn!

He was chatty that day, right? It was a long M&G line but he was willing to talk to all of us, about anything you wanted to know. I think it was my most talkative M&G. We were lucky.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.

Last edited by button-lip; 01-13-2019 at 08:23 PM..
Old 01-30-2019, 07:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by singertobe View Post
In the Tusk remaster linear notes LB says Save me a place was written more about Stevie not CAH