Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-29-2018, 07:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

This is wild! He might have someone transcribing for him who's rewording to capture the "gist" of his comments.... but I think the reason it might not sound "Lindsey" to us is that we're so used to him using the same phrases that we won't believe it's really him until he tweets about paintings vs. film, big machines vs. small machines, and how these new songs are the best work he's ever done.

Seriously though, he has a rehearsed voice for interviews, and along with that, considered and deliberate phrasing with an impressive vocabulary. I agree that this doesn't match up with that, but maybe this is his more natural, conversational voice - and on Twitter, one must use the shorter words.

I used his Twitter to beg for "Soul Drifter" despite the fact that he reacted so badly when I suggested it several years ago. I figured, "Why not give it another shot?" Maybe now, because the lyrics are so perfect for his current situation, he'll reconsider.

I'm a soul drifter
And I'm out of this town
Ain't no use hangin' round
You see

My heart was broken
My part was spoken
Now the ground has opened
All around me

I'm a soul drifter
And it's out of my hands
So it's off to other lands
You see

It's a new dawn
So it's so long
For the soul lifter
The soul drifter
That's me

Last edited by sodascouts; 08-29-2018 at 07:17 AM..
Old 08-29-2018, 12:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Soul Drifter is one of my faves. On an album full of faves.

How did he react badly?
Old 08-29-2018, 02:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Soul Drifter is one of my faves. On an album full of faves.

How did he react badly?
It was in a hotel bar in Chicago way back over 10 years ago when he was first touring - heady days, back when he found the fact that he had hardcore fans willing to follow him around amazing and it was easy to talk to him. Later he took it for granted that he had lots of hardcore fans and the days of easy access were gone.

He was playing two nights in Chicago and he'd already played a show earlier that evening. He had been varying encores at his previous shows, much to everyone's delight. He asked us if we had a song we'd like to hear him do for the encore the next night in Chicago (there was a group of us). People started suggesting several songs. He turned to me. I said "Soul Drifter" and his expression dropped from a smile to a stone-faced stare. Shoot - I've pissed him off, I thought, and I quickly said, "Or 'Down on Rodeo'." The smile immediately returned and he said, "Yes, I might do that one."

It wasn't just because he wanted us to suggest songs off his latest album - other people suggested old stuff like "Johnny Stew" and he didn't have that reaction.

Who knows.

Last edited by sodascouts; 08-29-2018 at 06:14 PM..
Old 08-29-2018, 03:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
It was in a hotel bar in Chicago way back over 10 years ago when he was first touring - heady days, back when he found the fact that he had hardcore fans willing to follow him around amazing and it was easy to talk to him. Later he took it for granted that he had lots of hardcore fans and the days of easy access were gone.

He was playing two nights in Chicago and he'd already played a show earlier that evening. He had been varying encores at his previous shows, much to everyone's delight. He asked us if we had a song we'd like to hear him do for the encore the next night in Chicago (there was a group of us). People started suggesting various songs. He turned to me. I said "Soul Drifter" and his face went from a smile to a stone-faced stare. Shoot - I've pissed him off, I thought, and I quickly said, "Or 'Down on Rodeo'." The smile immediately returned and he said, "Yes, I might do that one."

It wasn't just because he wanted us to suggest songs off his latest album - other people suggested old stuff like "Johnny Stew" and he didn't have that reaction.

Who knows.
Hmm, I wonder what the situation was. It sounds really intriguing.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
He asked us if we had a song we'd like to hear him do for the encore the next night in Chicago (there was a group of us). People started suggesting several songs. He turned to me. I said "Soul Drifter" and his expression dropped from a smile to a stone-faced stare. Shoot - I've pissed him off, I thought, and I quickly said, "Or 'Down on Rodeo'." The smile immediately returned and he said, "Yes, I might do that one."
WTH Lindsey--so much for being a "soul lifter"!
That's hilarious about Down on Rodeo though. Nice save!

Does he have a bit of a complex about OOTC as a whole, perhaps?
There's an interaction with fans on the GOS tour montage where someone asks "So Lindsey, will you be doing any songs from OOTC?" and Lindsey seems to give him a less than enthusiastic response, just saying "We'll see."
Old 08-29-2018, 08:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

He was playing two nights in Chicago and he'd already played a show earlier that evening. He had been varying encores at his previous shows, much to everyone's delight. He asked us if we had a song we'd like to hear him do for the encore the next night in Chicago (there was a group of us). People started suggesting several songs. He turned to me. I said "Soul Drifter" and his expression dropped from a smile to a stone-faced stare. Shoot - I've pissed him off, I thought, and I quickly said, "Or 'Down on Rodeo'." The smile immediately returned and he said, "Yes, I might do that one."

Who knows.
And Soul Drifter is on the Anthology so maybe just where he was in his head with that song at the time? Although---so is Stephanie?
Old 08-29-2018, 08:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

and................................boom!

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 08-30-2018, 10:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
Wow!
An exciting time to be alive.
Old 08-30-2018, 04:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post

this is awesome.

it's so cool to hear him expressing himself in such a different style than that which we've been accustomed to in interviews etc.

I never thought he couldn't actually physically type out a text but so many famous twits let assistants handle the sorting through comments and picking which ones to respond to it seemed possible here too. The fact that it's actually him is great; no one is filtering.
Old 08-30-2018, 05:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
this is awesome.

it's so cool to hear him expressing himself in such a different style than that which we've been accustomed to in interviews etc.

I never thought he couldn't actually physically type out a text but so many famous twits let assistants handle the sorting through comments and picking which ones to respond to it seemed possible here too. The fact that it's actually him is great; no one is filtering.
He might be talking to text. Either way, it's nice to see him embrace social media and interact with his fans. I don't think he truly knows how important his solo work is to so many.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

His strategy around utilizing social media is spot on. He's out there today tweeting with Fans....Sounds like "Down on Rodeo" is in the mix, most of the musicians from Buck Vie are joining him and Australia is a possibility
I am sure he's watched the Ellen snippets (everyone looks at the car wreck on the side of the road) and seen all the reviews. And today he comes out chatting with fans on Twitter. Love this.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storms123 View Post
His strategy around utilizing social media is spot on. He's out there today tweeting with Fans....Sounds like "Down on Rodeo" is in the mix, most of the musicians from Buck Vie are joining him and Australia is a possibility
I am sure he's watched the Ellen snippets (everyone looks at the car wreck on the side of the road) and seen all the reviews. And today he comes out chatting with fans on Twitter. Love this.
Casually tweeting and alluding to a Australian tour.....it's a GREAT DAY, a GREAT DAY!

Lindsey Buckingham you are the greatest
Old 09-06-2018, 07:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storms123 View Post
.Sounds like "Down on Rodeo" is in the mix
This (potential) news has succeeded completely pushed the Ellen performance out of my head. Awesome!
Old 09-06-2018, 07:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
This (potential) news has succeeded completely pushed the Ellen performance out of my head. Awesome!
Thought of you immediately when I saw it! This is going to be a great show.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Not fake news

Oh, not "potential" at all, but a legit confirmation!