User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA View Post
Yes (although it was at an encore towards the end of the Soundstage taping). I was trying to give Lindsey the benefit of the doubt. Its just obnoxious when Lindsey complains about the promotion of his albums when, at his direction, "Down On Rodeo" is mentioned as one of the singles on the sticker affixed to the cover. Its not like we didn't already identify Lindsey as a self-absorbed asshole, but why add "hypocritical" to the mix?
I think Down on Rodeo is a commercial song and it doesn't take any chutzpah to perform. If he backed out of performing Red Rover or Murrow or even Come, I could see your point, but not performing DOR is in no way selling out. Not Too Late , Shut Us Down and Under the Skin (the song) are much more adventurous choices than DOR. I think DOR would have been more popular live. So, while it might have been wise for him to perform it, I don't think it was at all hypocritical or lacking in courage to pass it over.

He does play it safe too often for my liking. He could have dropped Holiday Road. He could stop playing Big Love when he makes promotional appearances. He could quit saying that the fans expect Rumours songs. But I can't think of a single thing that's unsafe about DOR. It could easily have been one of the 3 pop songs featured (CAD, Show You How and It Was You being the others) before the album was released to entice casual listeners.

Michele
Old 12-01-2009, 12:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I think Down on Rodeo is a commercial song and it doesn't take any chutzpah to perform. If he backed out of performing Red Rover or Murrow or even Come, I could see your point, but not performing DOR is in no way selling out. Not Too Late , Shut Us Down and Under the Skin (the song) are much more adventurous choices than DOR. I think DOR would have been more popular live. So, while it might have been wise for him to perform it, I don't think it was at all hypocritical or lacking in courage to pass it over.

He does play it safe too often for my liking. He could have dropped Holiday Road. He could stop playing Big Love when he makes promotional appearances. He could quit saying that the fans expect Rumours songs. But I can't think of a single thing that's unsafe about DOR. It could easily have been one of the 3 pop songs featured (CAD, Show You How and It Was You being the others) before the album was released to entice casual listeners.

Michele
Speaking of DOR....At my first UTS show in Boston, I was yelling for DOR and after BTLH he goes "Did I hear someone say Rodeo?" And of course I went nuts and then he did the song!

Later in the tour....Turn it On...enough said. I nearly keeled over.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:41 AM
Registered

Quote:
Fair enough, but why would Lindsey find it appropriate to make snarky comments on-stage about the record label not promoting his album (re: "Did You Miss Me"/GOS tour) if he couldn't have been bothered to perform the most accessible & arguably the best overall track (and only THE FOCUS OF ALL MARKETING EFFORTS) from the UTS album on the tour supporting said album? Because he's a smug ass? Oh, that's right.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Fair enough, but why would Lindsey find it appropriate to make snarky comments on-stage about the record label not promoting his album (re: "Did You Miss Me"/GOS tour) if he couldn't have been bothered to perform the most accessible & arguably the best overall track (and only THE FOCUS OF ALL MARKETING EFFORTS) from the UTS album on the tour supporting said album? Because he's a smug ass? Oh, that's right.
DOR wasn't the only focus of all marketing efforts. CAD, Show You How and It Was You received a lot of publicity.

When he made comments about the record company not promoting his GOS album, he also remarked that the record company chose the poppy Did You Miss Me as the single. Maybe that wouldn't have been his choice. Maybe omitting DOR doesn't contradict the comments he made on stage during the GOS tour, but reinforces them. Maybe he didn't put Down on Rodeo in the setlist because he wanted to expose less commercial songs in the slot that DOR would have held. Since he had to perform the 3 songs that were released before UTS came out, along with GYOW, Holiday Road and Trouble, maybe he felt that there just wasn't room for one more "safe" play.

Furthermore, DOR was pretty well known among fans already and maybe he wanted to showcase the songs from the album that were less familiar.

I had a problem with Lindsey not doing OOTC songs. And I had an even bigger problem when he told us he was going to do them next tour and then all we got was Don't Look Down. So, I don't approve of his setlist choices 100% and I don't think disagree that he's smug. But the criticism you're leveling about the exclusion of DOR seems to prove the presence of his testicles, rather than refute their presence, as you've charged.

Michele
Old 12-01-2009, 08:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I still don't get what that has to do with Kristen...
Old 12-01-2009, 10:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
DOR wasn't the only focus of all marketing efforts. CAD, Show You How and It Was You received a lot of publicity.

When he made comments about the record company not promoting his GOS album, he also remarked that the record company chose the poppy Did You Miss Me as the single. Maybe that wouldn't have been his choice. Maybe omitting DOR doesn't contradict the comments he made on stage during the GOS tour, but reinforces them. Maybe he didn't put Down on Rodeo in the setlist because he wanted to expose less commercial songs in the slot that DOR would have held. Since he had to perform the 3 songs that were released before UTS came out, along with GYOW, Holiday Road and Trouble, maybe he felt that there just wasn't room for one more "safe" play.

Furthermore, DOR was pretty well known among fans already and maybe he wanted to showcase the songs from the album that were less familiar.

I had a problem with Lindsey not doing OOTC songs. And I had an even bigger problem when he told us he was going to do them next tour and then all we got was Don't Look Down. So, I don't approve of his setlist choices 100% and I don't think disagree that he's smug. But the criticism you're leveling about the exclusion of DOR seems to prove the presence of his testicles, rather than refute their presence, as you've charged.

Michele
If I had been lucky enough to see Lindsey during any solo tour, I certainly wouldn't have complained about the set list!!
Old 12-05-2009, 11:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
I still don't get what that has to do with Kristen...
Was the song (DOR) written for/about former girlfriend Anne Heche?
Old 07-26-2013, 07:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The Drive, 97.1

The Set List http://www.wdrv.com/blog_stroud.php

Posted: Thursday, 10/26/2006 at 12:10am by Bob Stroud

I saw Lindsey Buckingham a few nights ago at the Park West. Lindsey's a trip. He's intense and focused, loose and raucous. He's touring in support of only his 4th solo CD in the past 25 years, "Under the Skin." I love this CD because it demands your attention. You can't have it on in the backround and expect to get anything out of it. You've got to be adult about it, sit down and pay attention. Your effort will be rewarded after 2 or 3 listens with gorgeously constructed melodies, and deeply personal lyrics. The whole affair is rather ethereal and eclectic....right up my alley. Buckingham and his band beautifully recreated the handful of songs chosen to perform from the new release. He filled out the rest of the set with selections from past solo efforts and of course the obligatory Fleetwood Mac nuggets. Which brings me to my point. The reviewer in the Sun Times quibbled with Buckingham's set list, (he also got snotty about Buckingham choosing to wear a v-neck t-shirt at his age.....HUH?) complaining that he should leave the Fleetwood Mac material for Fleetwood Mac and concentrate on lesser known and in some cases, unknown solo material.... not that there's anything wrong with that. Yet there is when you don't balance it out with a dose, if not a healthy dose of familiar, tried and true hits and near misses. Fans love the hits. They love to HEAR the hits. You can tell time after time by the reaction they get when the song begins AND ends. A buddy of mine saw Neil Young a couple of years ago and was wholly disappointed because Young chose to play nothing but his new CD that had just been released. He did offer up a couple of classics for the encore but that was it as far as familiar material was concerned. My buddy felt cheated. I hear it all the time from fans who are disappointed when the artist doesn't play enough of the songs that they've come to hear. Hey, in a perfect world we could all program what we think our favorite artists should play in concert. But it's not perfect and we're at the mercy of the artist to mix it up with hits and "deep tracks." And for the most part, the professional up on stage does a pretty good job of coming through with a memorable set list. Or does he? What's your take? When you go to see a classic artist, do you want to hear his greatest hits with a few deep tracks and 1 or 2 new songs, or would you be more than content in hearing nothing but the new CD? Guranteed your friendly neighborhood newspaper reviewer would vote for the latter.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart great whole show in Wisconsin

someone shared the whole UTS tour stop Oct 17 2006 Wisconsin (it might have been in one of recent threads here too, i can't remember where i first saw it). the setlist was insane, with 3 by-request gorgeously performed encores - Rodeo, Save Me A Place and Bleed To Love Her.

love having this, and listening and watching it just makes me sad thinking he may never perform like this again.

PRIMARY SET:
1:22 Not Too Late
6:58 Trouble
11:21 Never Going Back Again
15:14 Second Hand News
18:59 Introduction To:
20:34 Cast Away Dreams
25:11 Introduction To:
25:25 "Fail"
26:16 Red Rover
30:59 It Was You
34:44 Big Love
38:32 Poem To:
39:17 Go Insane
44:21 Introduction To:
44:50 Under the Skin
49:19 World Turning
52:34 Cajon Solo
55:42 I'm So Afraid
1:04:25 I Know I'm Not Wrong
1:08:43 Tusk
1:13:30 Go Your Own Way

ENCORE:
1:19:28 Holiday Road
1:22:37 Band Introduction
1:25:23 Show You How
1:30:52 Down on Rodeo
1:36:07 Save Me a Place
1:42:16 Bleed to Love Her

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"