Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Under The Skin Tour Stories

Here is the Under The Skin tour stories topic. Please share any special moments and all your memories from this tour.

Thank you - can't wait to read the stories because I know very little about this tour. The setlists seem very exciting.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Since I'm lazy, I'll repost the review I wrote for The Legacy:

My show was prefaced by one of the scariest things to ever happen to me. While coming to Redding the Sunday of the show, I was in a car accident, my first. We discovered the rental car I was in had loose lug nuts on the left rear tire which is what sent our car out of control and into the side of a mountain. Our other option would have been to fall off the side of the cliff. Thankfully my friends and I were okay and we were able to get to Redding by way of a taxi cab. It certainly was a scary way to start the day.

I've been to Redding many, many times, but this was the first time I've ever been to the Redding Convention Center. It was a nice building, kind of in its own place in town. I was nervous for reasons I won't go into while sitting in the front row. For me, this night would be one of those once in a lifetime opportunities. I don't know if I will ever have the opportunity to see Lindsey Buckingham again, solo or with Fleetwood Mac even.

Not Too Late - To be honest, I haven't been able to get myself into this song. However, I have to say that seeing Lindsey play it live really opened my eyes to it. I won't say it's a favorite now, but I appreciate it more today than I did before.

Trouble - I'm not ashamed to admit that this song brought tears to my eyes. I love the twist that he gave this song, from what the album version was/is to what this current live version is. It was so beautiful to hear live and in person.

Never Going Back Again - This old standard got a huge roar of approval from the crowd. It's not one of my favorites, but it was great to see live.

Second Hand News - The thing I loved about this was that it didn't sound very different from the Fleetwood Mac version. I actually believe I prefer this one to the one I heard on the last Mac tour.

Castaway Dreams - The tears came back to me on this one. I'm a sentimental person and this is a sentimental song. Those two things combined with everything going on just brought tears to my eyes.

Red Rover - I've never appreciated this song until I saw it live. I loved Lindsey's growling vocals during the "red rover, red rover part." The lighting effects were pretty neat-o as well.

It Was You - Great song. I was fortunate to be a part of the cheering section that cheered after William, Leelee and Stella were mentioned.

Big Love - I apologize if I'm too graphic here but Lindsey grabbed the crowd by the preverbial balls on this one.

Go Insane - I'm not going to say I was disappointed in this number, but I like the way Lindsey performed it during The Dance. But again, it was amazing to see him sing and play live.

Under The Skin - I think this song was really meant to be performed live. The performance definitely made my eyes well up again.

World Turning - Awesome. I liked Alfredo Reyes' solo, but I prefer Mick's... without all the yelling and spitting and unintelligible words.

I'm So Afraid - One word: amazing.

I Know I'm Not Wrong - It was great to hear this song live. I wish the solo would have gone on a bit more and maybe been a lot like the solo for Blue Letter.

Tusk - It's always fun to see this one performed live. This one sounded different from the Say You Will tour one, which I liked.

Go Your Own Way - Like it always does, it brought the house down and it also made the females want to grope and paw Lindsey when he was at the front of the stage.

Holiday Road - Lindsey's barking and howling... hilarious and shameless.

Turn It On - Never cared for the studio version but the live version was awesome.

Band Introductions - Yay for the band.

Show You How - A great performance, but for me the studio version captures a certain quality that just can't be matched.

Shut Us Down - I had tears again... because I knew that this was the end of that once in a lifetime opportunity. I had a hard time focusing on this performance because I didn't want this moment to end... but it had to, and it did.

Of course, the show went above and beyond my expectations, which is what I expected. My biggest disappointment was the "fans" who constantly got up out of their seats to get boozed up, or the ones who didn't seem to be into the show. It was definitely worth nearly getting killed to see Lindsey perform live. It's one of those goals in life that I've met and that means a lot too.

Matt
Old 11-29-2009, 11:41 PM
Senior Ledgie

That was such a great tour!!
I live in So Fla and when I heard LB was going on tour - woo hoo!! BUT then I found out he wasn't even coming close to So Fla.... so I booked a flight to Denver - flew in on Monday - went and had a fabulous dinner at a restaurant next to the theater and then went to the show. I think I had an out of body experience. Tenth row-center seat -and seeing the person who's guitar speaks to my soul!! I think it was the first concert I've ever seen that I looovvved every single song! The sound was great, LB in a good mood and sounding awesome... It was perfect. I also met some really cool people... we ended up going to, I think, the Hard Rock afterwards. The next morning, I hopped on a plane and went home. It was a wonderful 36 hours!

Shortly after that, it was announced that LB was coming to Ft. Lauderdale!! Well... I just had to see that show too! And no offense to the hometown crowd, but the Denver audience was a lot more into it, more responsive, well, just plain more fun! They made the trip even more fabulous. I travel for a living, so it wasn't cuz I was out of town that it seemed that way either - Denver was just more fun.

I saw him on the GOS tour in Boston - but that's another thread I guess...

When you don't know what it is
But you can't get enough of it
Old 11-29-2009, 11:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

um, at the pittsburgh show, marissa, kate, and i were on stage with LB for a hot minute.

and then marissa got to play the barking dogs on holiday road. LOL.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie721 View Post
um, at the pittsburgh show, marissa, kate, and i were on stage with LB for a hot minute.

and then marissa got to play the barking dogs on holiday road. LOL.
I was SO at that show and remember that. You all were cute!

I think LB was in a great mood. I had front row seats and was super hyper (as always) and he kept laughing, pointing, smiling, etc. during some key parts of songs right at me. I wish I actually took pics to prove it, but it's the truth.

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL
Old 11-30-2009, 12:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailatixela View Post
Here is the Under The Skin tour stories topic. Please share any special moments and all your memories from this tour.

Thank you - can't wait to read the stories because I know very little about this tour. The setlists seem very exciting.
You're very thorough with these!

I saw this tour 3 times. Once at Park West, then the House of Blues in Chicago, and then his final show at Summerfest in Milwaukee. I first began using a digital camera and recording footage during this tour. I was always afraid of getting caught. Security really depended on the venue. The guy at the Park West was a major asshole, however this was the best of the shows. The stage is so low to the ground both band and audience could have walked on and off it, which made it a little surreal. Everyone I talked to at these shows was super nice and very into it. Of course I don't know about the people farther back, all us hardcores tend to be in the front.

The Summerfest show was kind of a drag, however. I had these obnoxious teenagers sitting next to me who had raided their parent's medicine cabinet. Seriously they had an altoid tin filled with all sorts of prescription pills! What happened to good old fashioned underage drinking? Plus some people from behind tried to move up and got into a physical fight with some other people. Security was non-existent and there was a lot of pushing and shoving. I remember having a non-verbal conversation with Brett Tuggle at the time (gesturing). Nobody knew what to do. Somehow it resolved itself, but this is generally why I hate Summerfest. No crowd control. Lindsey also played past curfew, and my waiting friends were not happy! I also remember I had just finished Carol Ann's book and was a little ambivalent about seeing the show. I know she probably exaggerated in her book, but I still found it to be a disturbing read. However, I got over my ambivalence pretty quickly, especially after Lindsey waved at me. I'm way too easy to please.

My favorite picture I took during this tour. I know other fans had some amazing experiences on this tour, so hopefully you'll get some better stories! Like the ones posted while I was typing this out!
Old 11-30-2009, 04:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I was at the Cincinnati, OH show. Had 2nd row seats, dead center. The details are a bit fuzzy now, but the most memorable moment was his impromptu "Bwana." Another one of my favorites from the night was "Red Rover." I thought it was good on the SYW tour, but even better at this show.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:45 PM
Registered

Saw the Portland gig at the Newmark- pretty good crowd. It was nice to hear the title track performed live. I skipped the Aladdin Theatre gig the following summer- "been there, done that". Its a shame he didn't have the balls to perform "Down On Rodeo" (presumably because Kristen was following him around- I'm 98% sure she was at the Newmark show), arguably the best track on a middling album. Its a shame this tour went on so long compared to how brief the GOS tour was, because GOS is such a far superior album to tour behind.

Funny story- my old company in Chicago promoted the Park West shows, which took place shortly after I left the company & moved to Portland. When I talked to my buddy- the talent buyer who bought the shows- his main recollection of the gigs revolved around a certain "bat**** crazy and obnoxious" (his words) woman who caused a scene. I almost immediately recognized this person was indeed one of the more- shall we say, ardent- Lindsey fans on this board. Now, keep in mind this guy is a 20-year veteran of the industry and has seen & dealt with it all, yet he was able to recall almost every detail over a year after these shows took place. To protect her insanity, she'll remain nameless (she has yet to post in this thread).
Old 11-30-2009, 07:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA View Post
Saw the Portland gig at the Newmark- pretty good crowd. It was nice to hear the title track performed live. I skipped the Aladdin Theatre gig the following summer- "been there, done that". Its a shame he didn't have the balls to perform "Down On Rodeo" (presumably because Kristen was following him around- I'm 98% sure she was at the Newmark show), arguably the best track on a middling album. Its a shame this tour went on so long compared to how brief the GOS tour was, because GOS is such a far superior album to tour behind.

Funny story- my old company in Chicago promoted the Park West shows, which took place shortly after I left the company & moved to Portland. When I talked to my buddy- the talent buyer who bought the shows- his main recollection of the gigs revolved around a certain "bat**** crazy and obnoxious" (his words) woman who caused a scene. I almost immediately recognized this person was indeed one of the more- shall we say, ardent- Lindsey fans on this board. Now, keep in mind this guy is a 20-year veteran of the industry and has seen & dealt with it all, yet he was able to recall almost every detail over a year after these shows took place. To protect her insanity, she'll remain nameless (she has yet to post in this thread).
I was just going to say, it wasn't me! And yes I do remember this person's activities on the night I went. She certainly is a fan! Was your friend the one busting all of us for taking pictures? I hope not, because he was a real jerk. He had this notebook where he kept taking notes or something, very bizarre.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:45 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
I was just going to say, it wasn't me! And yes I do remember this person's activities on the night I went. She certainly is a fan! Was your friend the one busting all of us for taking pictures? I hope not, because he was a real jerk. He had this notebook where he kept taking notes or something, very bizarre.
My friend & Lindsey's tour manager were chit-chatting in the wings backstage, and both noticed this particular person's hijinks at roughly the same time. They both agreed she was a security risk for other patrons & possibly Lindsey himself, and directed the steward of the security staff (a great company- I used them for most all of my Chicago shows & for 100% of my Park West events) to address the situation. Considering that this was a request that came directly from Lindsey's management, I have every confidence that they acted as appropriately as they felt they needed to. There was legitimate concern.

I'm not sure if it was the same person who kept you from taking pictures (Park West has a no camera policy), but I wouldn't be surprised if security progressively got stricter as a direct result of the lunatic.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Its a shame he didn't have the balls to perform "Down On Rodeo" (presumably because Kristen was following him around- I'm 98% sure she was at the Newmark show), arguably the best track on a middling album.
Why would she care if he did DOR?
Old 11-30-2009, 08:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
Why would she care if he did DOR?
Yeah, he did it for Soundstage and Kristen was there.

Michele
Old 11-30-2009, 08:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
My friend & Lindsey's tour manager were chit-chatting in the wings backstage, and both noticed this particular person's hijinks at roughly the same time. They both agreed she was a security risk for other patrons & possibly Lindsey himself, and directed the steward of the security staff (a great company- I used them for most all of my Chicago shows & for 100% of my Park West events) to address the situation. Considering that this was a request that came directly from Lindsey's management, I have every confidence that they acted as appropriately as they felt they needed to. There was legitimate concern.

I'm not sure if it was the same person who kept you from taking pictures (Park West has a no camera policy), but I wouldn't be surprised if security progressively got stricter as a direct result of the lunatic.
I wonder if this is why the rest of his solo shows in Chicago have been at the HOB, it has a much higher stage! Plus you get wanded before you go in!
Old 11-30-2009, 11:59 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
I wonder if this is why the rest of his solo shows in Chicago have been at the HOB, it has a much higher stage! Plus you get wanded before you go in!
The Park West shows lost a bunch of money (then again, I doubt many LB solo gigs have made the promoter any money)- that's why they passed on the repeat UTS Chicago visit, and the GOS tour. No upside (especially since the '09 FM tour was going to Live Nation anyways)
Old 12-01-2009, 12:10 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Yeah, he did it for Soundstage and Kristen was there.

Michele
Yes (although it was at an encore towards the end of the Soundstage taping). I was trying to give Lindsey the benefit of the doubt. Its just obnoxious when Lindsey complains about the promotion of his albums when, at his direction, "Down On Rodeo" is mentioned as one of the singles on the sticker affixed to the cover. Its not like we didn't already identify Lindsey as a self-absorbed asshole, but why add "hypocritical" to the mix?