The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-02-2014, 03:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

the upload originated from a NIN live recording archive, btw, if someone wants to play some more or upload their version:

http://www.reflectinginthechrome.com.../20140126.html

NIN LIVE: 2014

January 26, 2014, Los Angeles, CA, Staples Center
56th Annual Grammy Awards

Setlist
Copy of A (NIN)
My God Is The Sun (QOTSA)

Known Recordings
Source 1: Video - PRO (CBS HD Broadcast)
Taper: Kaz
Time: 6 minutes
Rating: 5 out of 5
Download the Performance (Direct - mp4): .Zip File MP4 - 1080p, 517.2 MB
Comments:
What was supposed to be an exciting night for NIN and company turned out to be somewhat of a disappointment. Nine Inch Nails, Queens of the Stone Age, David Grohl of the Foo Fighters and Lindsey Buckingham of Fleetwood Mac were set to close out the 56th Annual Grammy's show. The broadcast ran over from it's ending time at 11:30 EST, meaning that the closing performance was cut short and at the beginning of QOTSA's song "My God Is The Sun" is cut by advertisements and we don't actually get to see the full performance. Trent came out and wrote on twitter, "Music's biggest night... to be disrespected. A heartfelt **** YOU guys." Which I don't blame him. Rob Sheridan had sent a tweet out later that the full performance/rehearsal footage will make its way onto YouTube shortly. Let's hope so. The audio mix at the Grammy's was pretty poor for being a big award show. Would love to see/hear it from rehearsal. Some time after Rob sent the tweet, it was deleted.

Source 2a: Video - PRO (Rehearsal Footage)
Taper: Anonymous
Download the Performance (Torrent): .Torrent .ts file - 1080i, 2.57 GB
Comments:
This was taken from the rehearsal of the Grammy Awards. This is uncut and has the full performance of both songs with no ads! The sound is much better than the live broadcast, in my opinion. They add crowd noise into this mix, as this was done in an empty arena. Amazing quality and I know that the fans of both music groups are happy to see the full, uncut performance.

Source 2b: Audio - PRO (Soundboard)
Taper: Anonymous
Download the Full Show: .Zip File FLAC - Dolby 5.1 Surround, 162.3 MB
Download the Full Show: .Zip File FLAC - Stereo, 34.4 MB
Comments:
This is ripped straight from the video of the rehearsal that is also available on the archive. It was in Dolby 5.1 initially, but I converted it to stereo and 44.1 so it can be burned to CD. I also cut out the introduction from LL Cool J so that it's just the song. For the Dolby 5.1 version, I left it "as is." So there is the introduction.

these links came by following the tweet info from the vid uploader
@TRAjiK_SiN813
Video on youtube, from @RITCNIN. This is the rehearsal video of #NIN+#QOTSA+Dave Grohl+Lindsey Buckingham. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa_wV...ature=youtu.be

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 02-02-2014, 03:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
you came up with some interesting logic which i doubt pans out if you would look at performers' ages as the show progressed (which i really don't care to do). but let's look at just the opening and closing songs/acts:
  • opening act Beyonce and Jay Z - Beyonce 32, Jay Z 44 - not exactly Lorde's 17 .
  • closing act QOTSA - Josh Homme 40.

and then of course there's this - the sheer numbers of viewership :
The middle hour is traditionally the one with the highest ratings, but really they maintain a steady audience for all THREE hours. Now, that Pro Bowl that was on NBC DID see a steady decline in viewership during the night. They lost 3 million viewers from first hour to last, but that doesn't happen with the Grammys.

The year they lost the most viewers was 2012 after Whitney's death. They had very high ratings that year and it can be assumed that a lot of extra people tuned in to see the Whitney tribute and then stopped watching when it was over. But most years, there's not that kind of fluctuation between the hours.

Now, the demographic rating is based on viewers 18-49. I don't have the age break down beyond that.

Michele
Old 02-02-2014, 05:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

For those of you that don't do torrents (and the video in the torrent only plays with VLC (not WMP)...at least for me )

here's the rehearsal video:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/9gsm93

And here's the rehearsal mp3:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/t9hneo

The sound is definitely louder on the video in the torrent, but the sound is fine on this one, too (just turn it up!), and the video is the same thing. Either way, it's a tad out of sync, but still wonderful to watch!
Old 02-08-2014, 01:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

there has been many articles like this, it seems, over the years. while that may be the music that's pushed in the traditional media (kinda like reality shows vs tradition sitcoms maybe?), not sure that's completely what's happening in the real world. grammy closing has been interpreted both ways - as the return of rock as well as the way this article does. but i see a lot of teenagers learning to play guitars and jamming... although guitar center tidbit makes you think.

http://thelantern.com/2014/02/opinio...-unsurprising/

Opinion: Death of rock'n'roll disappointing, yet unsurprising

February 6, 2014
Ismail Rahman
rahman.65@osu.edu

Trent Reznor fronts rock band Nine Inch Nails during a warm-up gig at Scala, King's Cross, prior to Reading and Leeds festivals in August. Credit: Courtesy of MCT
Credit: Courtesy of MCT

I recently went to my local Guitar Center. I needed a guitar at the time to replace my aging and worn-out Fender Stratocaster, and I spoke with the salesman there. He showed me the available guitars, and I immediately noticed something: prices for guitars are getting lower. Why would that be? It was easy to look around and notice because not too many people were browsing the guitar area of the store, but I did notice a sizable crowd checking out the keyboards and DJ equipment. It makes sense. The Top 40 radio stations are full of heavily engineered music, the backing force for pop and hip-hop now. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, but you might ponder at what happened to the music that was more “raw” in nature. Fairness should be given to both styles, yet the raw ones don’t get played as much on many radio stations.

If that doesn’t quite make you think, another situation to take a gander at is actually the Grammys.

The night of the Grammy Awards this year was full of entertaining performances, and a slew of new artists were able to make me clap my hands and sing along. Macklemore and Ryan Lewis certainly have great hooks, and Daft Punk used its nostalgic beats to bring excitement to dance music and cruise its way to multiple wins. Then came another event of nostalgia to close the show: Trent Reznor (of Nine Inch Nails), worked with Queens of the Stone Age’s Josh Homme and Lindsey Buckingham to play the closing song of the show. The combination sent shivers down my spine. Being an avid rock fan, I was thinking this performance would be an awesome close to the Grammys. It started out great, and my mind was successfully being blown by the heavy drum beat of Dave Grohl and the stiff, industrial riffs of Reznor when right after, the music died out before the performance was even over and CBS conveniently showed that Delta Airlines and other partners that sponsored the Grammys.

While a little angry, I was mostly confused. Why invite rock legends who persevered through years of being musicians (which is very tough, indeed), only to dismiss their hard work by saying that you had some money loans to make your show possible? That’s pure disrespect. After a bit, I thought it over. My conclusion is that I shouldn’t be really that surprised. Rock ‘n’ roll might not be saved after all, and it is a topic that has been brought up numerous times.

Looking at many nominees in the rock category over the past couple of years, you can see they are actually not new artists, but rock legends, such as Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and others who built massive followings over time. This also is hardly a crime, for they deserve to be commemorated, but very few new bands make the cut, unlike the categories in other genres. People give rappers and pop artists a chance right away sometimes. On the contrary, America is focusing on the past when it comes to rock.

Why is this happening? No one can really say. There are clearly many theories on the table. Technology is improving. Hip-hop and mainstream pop are on the rise. People miss the “old” style of rock as opposed to that of the new era. It’s probably ideal to appreciate the nature of all music. I do like the Katy Perrys and Kanye Wests of today, but being a veteran fan of rock, I can only sit back and hope the future of this roughed-up genre will look brighter.

Sorry about the disrespect, Trent. Better luck next time.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-26-2019, 07:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up 5 years ago!

Quote:
this pic was tweeted before the show by NIN, QOTSA and foofighters' accounts, but not @fleetwoodmac. (as usual, soooooo good at advertising. )

(realized we just had links to it so far, but not the actual pic, so i'm fixing that)
on this day 5 years ago.

Old 01-26-2019, 08:22 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Wow!

Quote:
on this day 5 years ago.

My first time seeing! Excellent collaborations! I would like LB to do more w NIN!