The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-28-2015, 03:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Charlotte Moss on Fleetwood Mac's 'Gypsy'.
Song stirs designers soul and gives her more confidence to take chances.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/charlott...psy-1430234759

'Even though “Gypsy” came out in the summer of ’82 on Fleetwood Mac’s “Mirage” album, the song and its sound had a late ’70s vibe. It reminded me of my struggle back then, when everything seemed uncertain and I only had myself to depend on'.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I just discovered a version of Gypsy I didn't know existed. It's on stevienicksivorykeys.blogspot.com. Here's the link:

Gypsy - Extended Album Version 2
Mirage Final Mixes 05/18/1982
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sbppno89qp...d%202.mp3?dl=0

I've always loved the video version so much more than the album version because of the extra vocal ad libs at the end and that gorgeous extended guitar solo. I was so thrilled when The Chain came out and there was an even longer version, but disappointed at the stuff that was missing. Especially at the end, during the guitar solo, in the video mix if you listen really careful you'll here Stevie singing "oooh, see your bright eyes" and it's not in the Chain mix. So the mix above has all the stuff from the video mix and the chain mix all in one, but the beginning sounds like it was taken from a cassette that's been chewed up. Does anyone know if a really good copy of this version exists anywhere? It's my favorite out of all the mixes.

A few words on Gypsy. I always wondered if the unusual drum beat coming off of the bridge was intentional or an accident. It sounds like Mick is going into a fill but then stops himself. But it adds to the charm of the song and if it was a mistake and he went back to fix it there would definitely be something missing. Also, there's a great repeating xylophone melody during the vocal ad libs at the end and if you listen carefully during the very last one (where Stevie sings, "your bright eyes, I can't find you) you'll hear the xylophone go all wonky. You barely notice it but it's there. And did you ever notice that the lyric sheet that came with Mirage had "(she was just a wish, she was just a wish)" at the vocal ad libs at the end, but because the album had an edited version of the song that part is not there at all. I always wondered why there were lyrics on the jacket but not on the record. Of course, the line "and we both pretend (that there was an end, but there was no ending) no great pretender" isn't in the song Angel either. An another thing that I love so much is that if you listen to the extended guitar solo there's a part where John does this wonderful descending series of notes that Mick accentuates with a cymbal crash. It's so incredible. It's a little more pronounced in the video mix than the Chain mix but it's still there. Anyway, these are just things I love about this song.
Old 04-29-2015, 04:47 AM
Ledgie

It is such a spectacular recording. It distils everything that each member brings to the band with such precision, like bottled lightning. I don't think any song in their catalogue is as strong a showcase of their individual talents.

x
Old 04-30-2015, 10:09 AM
Senior Ledgie

Gypsy is, in my opinion, the highlight of the Mirage album, probably the best track of it. In the lyrical aspect I never tried to examine Stevie's songs that much, because there's, more than the other songwriters of FM, a certain aspect that you can't understand; something that is on a different level, something that hits you in a inconsciuos way. That's one the mainpoint of the track, its elusive yet evocative words.

In the musical aspects, this song is a work of art: the beatiful synth/guitar riff, the ending solo (one of Lindsey's best), the magnetic rhytmic parts, the backing vocals...

" Mi dicono alla radio statti calmo statti buono,
non esser scalmanato stai tranquillo e fatti uomo,
ma io con la mia guerra voglio andare sempre avanti,
e costi quel che costi la vincerò non ci son santi. "
Old 11-07-2017, 06:38 AM

Focus on yourself, be ready for change

Recently I heard the song “Gypsy” by Stevie Nicks while I was working the copy desk for The Daily Eastern News. I find it really interesting how songs can trigger memories and feelings to individual people. One song could have hundreds of different meanings to different people across the world.
The song “Gypsy,” to me, is one of those “life” songs. A “life song” is a type of song that makes you reflect on your past and brings you to consider what your current situation in life is.
For me, these types of songs help me reflect on things I have done in the past that have gotten me to where I am today. My experiences in the Army before college, for example, have shaped me to take pride in myself and push others to do their best.
Some songs also have me reflect on instances in life that I wish I could have changed as well. Fast forward to the present, I feel ROTC has furthered my self in being a better person and to take initiative to lead others. With that, life is continuing to shape me as a person. In this moment now, though, I am happy.
However, as the semester comes further to a head and I begin the process of commissioning into the Army, the true priorities in my life are starting to take shape. My current major is journalism but at this point, ROTC tends to take up about 90 percent of my life.
Now, this is not necessarily a bad thing. The things you want most in life are not easy to achieve, so putting in work is a necessity. But I have started to realize my heart is in the Army, not journalism. I feel I do best in the Army and I can put my love of writing and news telling to the Army rather than civilian journalism.
So if you are just finishing up your first semester of college or it is the beginning of the end of senior year, remember this: life is not black and white. You will meet indecision and change head-on in life and that is OK. Most people don’t know what they want to do for the rest of their lives, especially from 18 to 22 years old.
I believe society puts too much pressure on people to find their niche in life. I say explore new avenues, try new things. If you suddenly realize you don’t want to major in geography but instead you want to try theatre, then that is perfectly normal. Yes, it may take more time, more work, more late-night studying but in the end it is worth it. A job is a job but a career is something more, something you love doing.
Take time for yourself in figuring out who you want to be and what you want to do in life.
I have grown a lot and learned about myself because I decided to try new things, even when things were scary at times. It is all about realizing that life holds many doors; you just have to open them.

https://www.dailyeasternnews.com/201...dy-for-change/
Old 11-07-2017, 07:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Gypsy is definitely one of Fleetwood Mac/Stevie Nicks best songs, as well as one of the most beautiful songs ever. Props to Stevie, Lindsey, Christine, John, Mick, Richard, and Ken for crafting this masterpiece.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

This is an old thread that preceded my membership. I do think Gypsy is one of the purest classic Mac songs of all time. Some of Stevie's best writing with just an amazing track with intense over dubs. It also has the best bridge of any Mac song. It really demonstrates Stevie's range and passion. Its just pure magic.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The entire "Mirage" album is just gorgeous and sublime. It's the most overlooked and underrated album in the entire Fleetwood Mac catalog. It never gets the credit that it deserves. It's my music box.