Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Peter Green
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Peter Green and Band Paradiso Amsterdam 21.2.2009

I have not been able to record the show, but I really hope someone else did! IT WAS GREAT! I am happy I travelled all the way to Amsterdam to attend to this occasion. The concert lasted about one hour and ten minutes. The band was late because they had not been able to find their way around the streets of Amsterdam.

Unfortunately I could not keep track of all the numbers, and I can't remember them all (maybe somebody else can fill in here) because I was too busy listening to the music (I am sure you get this doodyhead), (but amongst others) they played:

Blues Don't Change (the first number) - Canvey Island Session arrangement.
Some Hank Marvin piece that I don't remember the title of, but played brillianly by Green - very very good, clear tone and determined..
On The Hook
I was A Fool To Love You - A Billie Holiday song?
Long Grey Mare - PG had trouble with the harmonica there. They had trouble with the sound some of the time. The sound technician sometimes held his head in his hands!
Albatross Lovely tone, but played a bit too fast for my liking.
Still beautiful!
The Stumble - in a much more vital version than with Splinter Group. Great! Closer to the original version in my opinion.
Black Magic Woman - the audience sang along and knew every word. He seemed a bit taken aback by this...
The Thrill Has Gone - Canvey Island arrangement. Beautiful - "B.B. eat your heart out" - I really mean this and I love B.B. King! A very sad slow version. It was the last number before the encore which I don't remember.

Peter Green sat down during the whole of the show, but compared to five years ago with S.G. he was in a much more central position. He didn't have any guitar changes at all. His singing is much better too. Most of the time he seemed to enjoy playing immensely - and we were treated to those moments of pure bliss. Sometimes he seemed to get lost though, and loose contact with the core within himself where the music comes from. When that happened the other musicians seemed very concerned. Mike Dodd had a kind of "Master of Ceremonies" position and helped PG overcome his insecurities. He was doing a great job getting PG back on the right track when this happened, having eyecontact with him all the time. The 'down-side' of this was that the music sometimes were played too fast, because Mike Dodd acted as a kind of energy booster

I stood very close to the stage and was able to watch the interactions very closely. PG does not seem to be pressured to do the FM stuff (which the audience cried out for), and with the help of the band (and especially Mike Dodd) you got the feeling that you were participating in a session with friends practicing. It was very laid back in a way.
Matt Radford played up-right bass (do you call it that?) and Geraint Watkins played organ beautifully giving the whole show a godspell-like feeling. He is really really good.

The Amsterdam audience loved Peter Green. Mike Dodd commented at one point that he would love to take us with him on the rest of the tour. The audience loved PG when he goofed as well as when he was brilliant - just like it should be.

A great show - and this was only the second show of the tour!!!
I heard rumours that they are planning a small tour of Engalnd in april. I hope everybody here will get a chance to see and hear Peter Green and his Band.

Ms Moose
Old 02-22-2009, 10:19 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Moose View Post
I have not been able to record the show, but I really hope someone else did! IT WAS GREAT! I am happy I travelled all the way to Amsterdam to attend to this occasion. The concert lasted about one hour and ten minutes. The band was late because they had not been able to find their way around the streets of Amsterdam.

Unfortunately I could not keep track of all the numbers, and I can't remember them all (maybe somebody else can fill in here) because I was too busy listening to the music (I am sure you get this doodyhead), (but amongst others) they played:

Blues Don't Change (the first number) - Canvey Island Session arrangement.
Some Hank Marvin piece that I don't remember the title of, but played brillianly by Green - very very good, clear tone and determined..
On The Hook
I was A Fool To Love You - A Billie Holiday song?
Long Grey Mare - PG had trouble with the harmonica there. They had trouble with the sound some of the time. The sound technician sometimes held his head in his hands!
Albatross Lovely tone, but played a bit too fast for my liking.
Still beautiful!
The Stumble - in a much more vital version than with Splinter Group. Great! Closer to the original version in my opinion.
Black Magic Woman - the audience sang along and knew every word. He seemed a bit taken aback by this...
The Thrill Has Gone - Canvey Island arrangement. Beautiful - "B.B. eat your heart out" - I really mean this and I love B.B. King! A very sad slow version. It was the last number before the encore which I don't remember.

Peter Green sat down during the whole of the show, but compared to five years ago with S.G. he was in a much more central position. He didn't have any guitar changes at all. His singing is much better too. Most of the time he seemed to enjoy playing immensely - and we were treated to those moments of pure bliss. Sometimes he seemed to get lost though, and loose contact with the core within himself where the music comes from. When that happened the other musicians seemed very concerned. Mike Dodd had a kind of "Master of Ceremonies" position and helped PG overcome his insecurities. He was doing a great job getting PG back on the right track when this happened, having eyecontact with him all the time. The 'down-side' of this was that the music sometimes were played too fast, because Mike Dodd acted as a kind of energy booster

I stood very close to the stage and was able to watch the interactions very closely. PG does not seem to be pressured to do the FM stuff (which the audience cried out for), and with the help of the band (and especially Mike Dodd) you got the feeling that you were participating in a session with friends practicing. It was very laid back in a way.
Matt Radford played up-right bass (do you call it that?) and Geraint Watkins played organ beautifully giving the whole show a godspell-like feeling. He is really really good.

The Amsterdam audience loved Peter Green. Mike Dodd commented at one point that he would love to take us with him on the rest of the tour. The audience loved PG when he goofed as well as when he was brilliant - just like it should be.

A great show - and this was only the second show of the tour!!!
I heard rumours that they are planning a small tour of Engalnd in april. I hope everybody here will get a chance to see and hear Peter Green and his Band.

Ms Moose
Thank you for this review. I have waiting for someone to say something about PG's shows. Sounds pretty positive. Hope he decides to come to the US with this band.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default thanks Ms Moose

like librax said, it sounds like a goot time was had. lucky folks

I also hope they are encouraged to want to take the show on the road,

or at least make a live video/audio recording for us out here in the wilderness

the road is ha harsh task master and I would not blame them for a modest adventure

doodyhead, mel and vinnie
Old 02-23-2009, 03:18 AM
Ledgie

Dear Ms Moose , thank you for your very interesting review.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Tack så mycket, Ms Moose!
Old 02-23-2009, 04:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks a lot Ms Moose, I had really been looking forward to your "review".

"Long Grey Mare" must have been cool!
Perhaps the Hank Marvin song was "Midnight", which he did on the Shadows tribute album "Twang!".

Do you know what guitar he played?
Did any of the other musicians sing any songs, as I remember they where listed on vocals?
And did Mike Dodd do much lead guitar, or did Peter do most of the soloing?

It must have quite an experience for you to see Peter back onstage and enjoying himself without any pressure. That's the way it should be!
Old 02-23-2009, 06:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansven View Post
Thanks a lot Ms Moose, I had really been looking forward to your "review".

"Long Grey Mare" must have been cool!
Perhaps the Hank Marvin song was "Midnight", which he did on the Shadows tribute album "Twang!".

Do you know what guitar he played?
Did any of the other musicians sing any songs, as I remember they where listed on vocals?
And did Mike Dodd do much lead guitar, or did Peter do most of the soloing?

It must have quite an experience for you to see Peter back onstage and enjoying himself without any pressure. That's the way it should be!
I'll get back to you folks later, i'm very busy with my work at the moment.
I will too make a review because I experienced the gig completely different. I thought it was terrible! I made a rcording but haven't found the time yet to find out if it worked allright (it was a complete new recording device for me, and I didn't have time to see how it worked). Then I had to use it in the dark....
For one thing Mike did not do any lead guitar, did some vocals, but no character in his voice. I have to stop now. Till later
Old 02-23-2009, 07:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wouter Vuijk View Post
I'll get back to you folks later, i'm very busy with my work at the moment.
I will too make a review because I experienced the gig completely different. I thought it was terrible! I made a rcording but haven't found the time yet to find out if it worked allright (it was a complete new recording device for me, and I didn't have time to see how it worked). Then I had to use it in the dark....
For one thing Mike did not do any lead guitar, did some vocals, but no character in his voice. I have to stop now. Till later

I'm really looking forward to hear your point of view too, Wouter!
Sounds interesting that the two of you have such different experiences.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Albatross (Albert Ross ) from the gig is up at Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH9YBnJ1E4U

Absolutely beautiful guitar tone. And it sounds really good with double bass.
Wonder if the guy taped more of the gig.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:44 PM
Junior Ledgie

Interesting review. Many thanks.

I guess that the Shadows number they played may well have been 'Dance On!'
They played that tune when I saw them rehearse toward the end of last year in East London.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default I'm impressed

I'll second Dino on the guitar tone, especially for a Strat. I wonder what amp he was using. I also liked that Green played the song with the flourishes included (as per studio version). Sometimes he doesn't play it that way (BBC, Splinter Group footage), and that's not how I like my Albert Ross. Give me more footage, I'm officially psyched.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Here's a little more.

I noticed a guy asking Mike Dodd for his setlist. He amde a scan of it and sent that to me. I've attached it here. The band played two extra's.
The complete setlist (for those like me who find it hard to read Mike's handwriting:
01 Blues Don't Change
02 Chicken Window
03 Dance On
04 Many Rivers To Cross
05 Guess I'm A Fool
06 Albatross (see the youtube video)
07 When Lights Go Out
08 Lucky Old Sun
09 Stranger Blues
10 Off The Hook
11 Long Grey Mare
12 The Stumble
13 The Thrill Is Gone
Bonus:
14 Rainy Night In Georgia
15 Black Magic Woman
Just listened, and it sounds like there was another, but the recording stopped after a couple of second, ooops!

Ivé got it taped, have to do some editing but will let you folks know
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Setlist.jpg (85.8 KB, 31 views)
Old 02-23-2009, 01:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wouter Vuijk View Post
Here's a little more.

I noticed a guy asking Mike Dodd for his setlist. He amde a scan of it and sent that to me. I've attached it here. The band played two extra's.
The complete setlist (for those like me who find it hard to read Mike's handwriting:
01 Blues Don't Change
02 Chicken Window
03 Dance On
04 Many Rivers To Cross
05 Guess I'm A Fool
06 Albatross (see the youtube video)
07 When Lights Go Out
08 Lucky Old Sun
09 Stranger Blues
10 Off The Hook
11 Long Grey Mare
12 The Stumble
13 The Thrill Is Gone
Bonus:
14 Rainy Night In Georgia
15 Black Magic Woman
Just listened, and it sounds like there was another, but the recording stopped after a couple of second, ooops!

Ivé got it taped, have to do some editing but will let you folks know
wouter and ms moose,

thanks for the reports, set list and promise of a recording. it would be wonderful for us if this is the beginning something great for pete. as mario said 'fingers crossed' and ours to enjoy for the present. zero
Old 02-23-2009, 01:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for the youtube link, Dino! Wonderful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantomfingers View Post
I guess that the Shadows number they played may well have been 'Dance On!'
They played that tune when I saw them rehearse toward the end of last year in East London.
Hi, fantomfinger! Could you tell more about attending the rehearsal?? That must have been awsome! What is your impression? Is this a promising band?

Thanks very much for the setlist, Wouter!
Did Peter sing "Lucky Old Sun"??
Would you care to say more about your impressions of the gig?
Old 02-23-2009, 01:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes, thanks a lot for the setlist and for recording!

Hm, Lucky Old Sun must be the old standard, Many Rivers to Cross, the J. Cliff song,
Rainy Night the Tony Joe White song. Stranger blues is Elmore James.
Off the Hook - the Rolling Stones song?
Intriguing.