Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Peter Green
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-10-2006, 06:05 AM
Ledgie

Default Has PG retired?

It was a long time ago one heard any news about Peter. Any public musical activitities in the future? Anyone out there with info?
Old 09-10-2006, 09:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjornense View Post
It was a long time ago one heard any news about Peter. Any public musical activitities in the future? Anyone out there with info?
Yeah...If anyone has any new info.
Otherwise he seems to have retired, momentarily, at least.
Hope he doesn't retire for 10-11 years, like the last time.

Last edited by dino; 09-10-2006 at 09:28 AM..
Old 09-12-2006, 01:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Question

Hello from Italy!

Really no great news on Peter right now.... but after 10 months, I think I'm now allowed to imform all of you the his recent dispute was settled out of Courte last December 2005.

Well, we know that he lost lots of weight and seems to enjoy his life in Sweden and that he has a nice woman beside him, which is good.....

The music?.....What can I say....I really hope Peter enjoys the rest of his life, but does so outside the music businnes......

Speak to you soon...

Mario.
Old 09-15-2006, 06:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario View Post
Hello from Italy!

Really no great news on Peter right now.... but after 10 months, I think I'm now allowed to imform all of you the his recent dispute was settled out of Courte last December 2005.

Well, we know that he lost lots of weight and seems to enjoy his life in Sweden and that he has a nice woman beside him, which is good.....

The music?.....What can I say....I really hope Peter enjoys the rest of his life, but does so outside the music businnes......

Mario.
thanks for the news mario. very good that the case was settled. i understand that you know some of the details . now that it has been settled i guess the ledge discussion ban (Peter Green vs. Nigel Watson ... Please read. posted 7/21/05) is off?

perhaps you can fill us in on some of what happened? or does the terms of the settlement exclude that possibility?

i had hoped that once the case was settled that pete would be free to resume his career but your wish that peter stays outside the music business suggests that you think that would be a bad idea. can you explain what you mean exactly?

sorry for so many questions! what i would most like to know is that pete is well and if he still plays

zero
Old 09-15-2006, 06:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzero View Post
thanks for the news mario. very good that the case was settled. i understand that you know some of the details . now that it has been settled i guess the ledge discussion ban (Peter Green vs. Nigel Watson ... Please read. posted 7/21/05) is off?

perhaps you can fill us in on some of what happened? or does the terms of the settlement exclude that possibility?

i had hoped that once the case was settled that pete would be free to resume his career but your wish that peter stays outside the music business suggests that you think that would be a bad idea. can you explain what you mean exactly?

sorry for so many questions! what i would most like to know is that pete is well and if he still plays

zero
Yes, thanks Mario!
But the same thing puzzles me: Why do you wish that Peter should spend the rest of his life outside the music business?

Daniel
Old 09-15-2006, 06:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't want to speak for Mario, but I wouldn't necessarily disagree. Think of everything the man has been through. Now, think of how much of that can be attributed to the music business. It was called "Show Biz Blues" for a reason! I'd much rather the man never play a guitar again if that meant he could spend the rest of his life in peace. Sure, I'd love to have him recording and touring, just as any fan would. But there comes a time when I have to put that aside and ask what's best for Peter. If being retired, or semi-retired, is what's best for him, then so be it.

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 09-15-2006 at 06:56 PM..
Old 09-15-2006, 07:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah, that was also what I thought Mario meant at first...

And I think most fans would want what is best for Peter, even if that means retirement. If that was what Mario meant, then I understand. It's just that he sounded so determined:

"I really hope Peter enjoys the rest of his life, but does so outside the music businnes......"

Both the time with Fleetwood Mac and White Sky/Kolors did Peter harm.. Of course I know next to nothing about the SG split, but it seemed to me that Peter took it quite well. I don't know... After all, things sounded very well when he did those shows with Kim Simmonds and that All-Star group. Peter said something about how excited he was to continue playing on after the split.

Then there were rumours about Peter having further problems again, but Joe Green said Peter was fine.

I just wanted to know exactly what Mario meant. And if the reason was all the trouble show-biz has caused Peter, then I wouldn't necessarily disagree either.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzero View Post

zero
I don't know any more details about the settlement, only that it was good for Peter and that Peter's lawyers were very happy with it.....

Please, don't get me wrong.....as a fan, of course I'm up to hear the next Peter Green's cd, but after all that evil surrounding the courte case and surrounding the last months of the Splinter Group, then I can't see Peter involved with the music businnes anymore;it happened with Fleetwood Mac, it happened with Kolors and it happened with Splinter Group; Peter's tormented soul does not need this!

Anyway it would be great to get some more and fresh news by Joe Green.

Stay happy and green!

Mario.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes, Mario I see what you mean and I agree.

..so anybody seen this photo? Think it's cool.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Peter Green cool.bmp (96.2 KB, 66 views)
Old 09-16-2006, 11:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansven View Post
Yes, Mario I see what you mean and I agree.

..so anybody seen this photo? Think it's cool.
Yeah! Where's that from?

I agree with Mario, I think.
The music business is not healthy to be in..people try to take
advantage of, make money out of Green.
But if the "business side" of it could be minimized...a studio album
with an understanding producer recorded under no stress?
And he wouldn't have to play old F Mac songs...play what he wants to.

Last edited by dino; 09-16-2006 at 12:43 PM..
Old 09-16-2006, 01:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
Yeah! Where's that from?
I'm not sure, but I think the picture was originally called "San Francisco 2002", so it could be from one of the US tours. It's one of my favourite pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
But if the "business side" of it could be minimized...a studio album
with an understanding producer recorded under no stress?
And he wouldn't have to play old F Mac songs...play what he wants to.
Yes, exactly! Johnny Cash's later albums come to my mind.. that "American" series produced by Rick Rubin. (Though I am not saying that Rubin would be the best choice to produce Peter.) But that sort of easy, relaxed setting. Peter wouldn't even have to play blues..after all the man has an extremely wide musical taste (Indian, Arabic, Chinese...)

Maybe a small record label like Bluestown Records at Notodden, Norway, would work. That's the guys who produced Jeremy's "Precious Little", and it was Peter who recommended Notodden to Jeremy! ...well, I feel that I'm drifting away from the topic....
Old 09-16-2006, 05:08 PM
Ledgie

It seems strange to blame the "music business" completely. When I read in an above post that Fleetwood Mac did him harm it seemed a little weird to me to be honest. If Peter head never entered the music buiness at any point in his life would be have been better off? I'm just asking.
If whatever mental issues that surfaced came along anyway, and he was driving a truck for a living, what kind of help would he have gotten?

It seems to me that the people he got hooked up with did him harm, and there are unfortunately many bad ones in the "biz". By the time Elvis died it seemed like he was surrounded by yes-men, and he had no true friends. And look at Brian Wilson. He was under the influence of a real bad doctor (to put it mildly) who used his connection with Brian for personal gain. But Brian ended up getting much better once the right people were there for him.
I got the feeling in reading Mick Fleetwood's autobiography that he is someone who truly feels for Pete. What if Peter had gone ahead with the deal that Mick tried to work out for him a number of years ago?

I'm not a Greeny expert like many of you. So I may not be as well versed in all the details. But I think he's a guy with a beautiful soul that can use music in a very positive way. Given the perfect circumstanes and situation - whatever that might be - the best therapy for Peter is probably playing music. As long as it's on his terms. And if he ever feels the kind of vibe that is displayed on this board he will see that there are indeed people in the world that love the sound he makes with voice and guitar, and that these people have no desire to "milk" anything out of him.

And if it comes to pass that Peter will never set foot on a stage or in a studio, then I hope he sits with a guitar now-and-then and plays it for himself, and it puts a little smile on his face.

And I hope he hasn't become scared that every person who comes along and wants to shake his hand is looking to get something from him.
Old 09-16-2006, 06:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
When I read in an above post that Fleetwood Mac did him harm it seemed a little weird to me to be honest.
Tom, I never meant the band members themselves. I wrote the time with Fleetwood Mac (and White Sky/Kolors). By that I meant the bad show-biz people you too are referring to, plus the drugs and pressure put on his young shoulders.

Quote:
If Peter head never entered the music buiness at any point in his life would be have been better off? I'm just asking.
If whatever mental issues that surfaced came along anyway, and he was driving a truck for a living, what kind of help would he have gotten?
That's a good question! There are evidence that mental illness may be drug induced. If that was the case with Peter is impossible to say. However, drug induced or not, I imagine that mental problems must be harder to handle surrounded by the paranoia of show-biz, than a quiet life driving a truck.

Quote:
But I think he's a guy with a beautiful soul that can use music in a very positive way. Given the perfect circumstanes and situation - whatever that might be - the best therapy for Peter is probably playing music. As long as it's on his terms. And if he ever feels the kind of vibe that is displayed on this board he will see that there are indeed people in the world that love the sound he makes with voice and guitar, and that these people have no desire to "milk" anything out of him.

And if it comes to pass that Peter will never set foot on a stage or in a studio, then I hope he sits with a guitar now-and-then and plays it for himself, and it puts a little smile on his face.
Agreed!!

Last edited by dansven; 09-16-2006 at 06:16 PM..
Old 09-16-2006, 07:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I can recall Peter mentioning "I know I'm never going to stop now" in the documentary on his recovering and Nigel getting him back on his feet, practicing at home and eventually founding the Splinter Group.......
Old 09-16-2006, 08:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It seems strange to blame the "music business" completely. When I read in an above post that Fleetwood Mac did him harm it seemed a little weird to me to be honest.
As dansven said, he wasn't talking about the band. Just the people around the band. Many people have used Peter Green's amazing talents as their bread-and-butter throughout the years. I wouldn't include Fleetwood, McVie, or Spencer in that group, as they were all recruited by Peter himself.

Quote:
If Peter head never entered the music buiness at any point in his life would be have been better off? I'm just asking.
Yes and no. I think Peter loved playing music and making music. I think he could have lived without being a guitar hero. The biggest reason for adding Jeremy, and agreeing to have Danny in the band, was to minimize his guitar hero status. It didn't work, but that was the intention.

Quote:
It wouldn't have been any worse than the help he DID get. Some of the treatments Peter received in the late '70s were absolutely horrid. And, if he had been a truck driver, there wouldn't have been the added pressure of being this modern day folk hero. Men are most apt to develop mental illness in their late-teens to mid-twenties. The drugs didn't cause his mental illness, but they did add to the various factors/symptoms (i.e. the stress caused by the pressure of being a rock star and uncertainty about his religious ideology) that made him become mentally ill. Really, a lot of the same is true of Danny Kirwan, who had issues related to not knowing much about his father, dealing with pressures of being a rock star, and dealing with being a new husband and father. Add drugs and alcohol, and we have yet another fallen hero.

Quote:
I got the feeling in reading Mick Fleetwood's autobiography that he is someone who truly feels for Pete. What if Peter had gone ahead with the deal that Mick tried to work out for him a number of years ago?
It was too late by then. He had already developed schizophrenia. He might have been able to do an album or two, but with schizophrenia, the bottom would have fallen out. Lots of peaks and valleys with schizophrenia. I will say that the treatments for mental illness today are light years ahead of where they were back in 1978. If Peter had had the types of treatments available to him back then, and had somebody who could protect him from the many bad elements in the music industry, then it might have worked.

As for the rest of your post, I agree on some level. I think music could be very comforting for Peter, it was on his terms and only for his own enjoyment. I think it's something that would have to be done outside of the typical music industry.

THE Stephen Hopkins