Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Present Band
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-27-2018, 01:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default The “New Album” thread

So I hear that the new Mac may record after this tour. I would welcome this but I really can’t see this happening. (For obviously reasons) I still think based on all of what has happened since January and timing etc.... This new band should have cut one or two new songs and and put it on the “Don’t Stop 50” album. This could have been done and should have been done to back Mick/Stevie’s words on the New Fleetwood Mac.
Old 10-27-2018, 02:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I definitely think there will be a new FM album. Stevie clearly wouldn't record with Lindsey, but she will without him. While I would have liked it if they could have put a new song or two on the compilation, I understand there wasn't enough time to. They needed to play on this tour together first, just like they did with Rick and Billy back in 1987.

I suspect some people on this board will be angry if FM does record another album. The fact is, Stevie never wanted to record with Lindsey again after Say You Will. She gave him an old song for the EP that she didn't even perform on their tour, and wouldn't even give him one song for the last album, which ended up being the Buck/Vie album. Stevie all but gave an interview saying she'd never record with Lindsey again. It's frustrating but for whatever reason, she just wouldn't do it. But now that Lindsey is out of FM, she will record with them again. She loves Mike and I think she enjoys Neil, and they will likely light a fire under her butt. I know this is hard for some people, but even the concert reviews are pointing out how much she's enjoying the new guys on the tour.
Old 10-27-2018, 02:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes. Mick is giving interviews saying that they plan to record a new studio album in the next year or two. And he's saying that he expects all four songwriters (Stevie, Christine, Neil, and Mike) to contribute songs. Stevie was against recording a new album because it meant that Lindsey would be the pilot of the project meaning he would be in complete control of how the album would sound and how long the project would take. Neil and Mike work in a much more spontaneous manner. The Heartbreakers and Crowded House used to record albums in weeks rather than many months like Lindsey used to do. It's a question of when, not if, the new lineup records a new studio album.
Old 10-27-2018, 04:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I definitely think there will be a new FM album. Stevie clearly wouldn't record with Lindsey, but she will without him. While I would have liked it if they could have put a new song or two on the compilation, I understand there wasn't enough time to. They needed to play on this tour together first, just like they did with Rick and Billy back in 1987.

I suspect some people on this board will be angry if FM does record another album. The fact is, Stevie never wanted to record with Lindsey again after Say You Will. She gave him an old song for the EP that she didn't even perform on their tour, and wouldn't even give him one song for the last album, which ended up being the Buck/Vie album. Stevie all but gave an interview saying she'd never record with Lindsey again. It's frustrating but for whatever reason, she just wouldn't do it. But now that Lindsey is out of FM, she will record with them again. She loves Mike and I think she enjoys Neil, and they will likely light a fire under her butt. I know this is hard for some people, but even the concert reviews are pointing out how much she's enjoying the new guys on the tour.
I'm sure they did perform Without You on the 2013 tour. Re the "angry" bit, I'm very split at the moment. I'm not a "Rumours five only" fan (as my many posts defending BTM will testify) but I hate the way LB's been treated of late.

It sounds awful to say this but it's a bit like when say your parents have split up (perhaps I shouldn't say this as I haven't been through that experience) and on the one hand you feel sorry for your mum but on the other you can't help thinking your dad's landed a really hot new partner and you get on really well..

I just think MF should have put his foot down with Stevie before BuckVie was recorded and said "If you don't like the heat, stay out of the kitchen."

But at the same time I'd rather have a Fleetwood Mac that brings out albums than one that won't darken a studio because one member gets cold feet round another. I'd love to hear a Neil/Chris co-write balanced out by a Mike rocker or two. Perhaps even a Finn/Campbell guitar workout. And we all know Mike brings out Stevie's creative streak.
I wish Mick would just say definitively that the group does not exist anymore. Then we can edit Wikipedia and get rid of all this crap about the surviving members of the 2018-19 lineup comprising a current configuration.

Thanks to Mick and all erstwhile members for the good times.
Old 10-27-2018, 04:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Still think the following idea is wonderful:

1. Re-record some select pre-Lindsey songs perhaps with new arrangements. They've already been practicing these songs so they should be able to record these quickly.

2. Have each of the songwriting members bring 1-2 new songs to the table.

3. Invite someone like Rick Rubin or Mitchell Froom to produce the project.

4. Call the album something like: Lost and Found.

5. Consider recording the new album live on Facebook. Could be a great way to generate interest.
Old 10-27-2018, 05:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Sugar Mick is like a pom pom wearing FM fake band cheerleader. LMFAO HI MICK!
Old 10-27-2018, 06:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Stevie never wanted to record with Lindsey again after Say You Will.
They are like sandpaper and an open wound in the studio. I suppose they have both finally split up as the Buckingham Nicks duo. Too fractious—they get on each other's nerves (and the two of them kind of get on our nerves).

But there are a couple of strange, strange incidents in the years between 2003 and today that make one think they've both been victims of their own ambivalence. In 2011 Stevie reached out to Lindsey (quite out of the blue) and asked for his help with Soldier's Angel on her album. He obliged. She praised his help in the press afterward. Also, he reached out to her to do some live songs for one of his concert videos, didn't he? She obliged, as well, and they made a good pairing at that point.

Any incidents like these in the last two or three years? Or was it wall-to-wall aggravation for both of them? I haven't been following them closely enough in recent years to know, but I think bad mojo was happening very recently to make this situation impossible to carry forward—and that Buckingham McVie album had something to do with it.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 10-27-2018, 07:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Mouse View Post
Still think the following idea is wonderful:

1. Re-record some select pre-Lindsey songs perhaps with new arrangements. They've already been practicing these songs so they should be able to record these quickly.

2. Have each of the songwriting members bring 1-2 new songs to the table.

3. Invite someone like Rick Rubin or Mitchell Froom to produce the project.

4. Call the album something like: Lost and Found.

5. Consider recording the new album live on Facebook. Could be a great way to generate interest.
I'd wondered about that. I figured Chris and Stevie have two songs each that were only ever on live albums and they could be done in studio (much as I cringe at Sweet Girl). The one they MUST redo is Freedom, with both its writers in the group now. Maybe All Over Again given its current revival (but preferably with just Chris on the leads).

Other than that it should be about giving Neil and Mike room to be creative within the band.

The live recording online is an interesting idea. Neil did his last solo album pretty much like that. I was abroad and had to miss out.
I wish Mick would just say definitively that the group does not exist anymore. Then we can edit Wikipedia and get rid of all this crap about the surviving members of the 2018-19 lineup comprising a current configuration.

Old 10-27-2018, 08:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I’d like a proper studio version of “Gold And Braid” and I think the Tim Finn/Richard Thompson song “Persuasion” would make a good Fleetwood Mac song.

ETA: I kind of think they should do their remake of “Black Magic Woman.” It’s just different enough that it could be justified.

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 10-27-2018 at 09:44 PM..
Old 10-28-2018, 12:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I’d like a proper studio version of “Gold And Braid” and I think the Tim Finn/Richard Thompson song “Persuasion” would make a good Fleetwood Mac song.

I disagree, Persuasian is not a Mac-y song. I don't think even Neil would do this justice particularly. If you want to pick any Tim Finn songs to cover surely Fraction too much Friction is the one, at the very least it's extrembly topical.
Old 10-28-2018, 12:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Is is that Time again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
They are like sandpaper and an open wound
Sandpaper And An Open Wound should be the title of the new lineup's album.

Alternatives to consider.

Stevie Nick's Fleetwood Mac
Mr. Woundful
Then Pay Up
Crowdin House
Futile Blames
Bare Hypocrises
Misery To Me
Replacements Are Hard To Find
Busk
Mélange
Tango In The Court
Greatest Hurts
Behind The Farce
Time Pt. II
Old 10-28-2018, 03:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel75 View Post
I disagree, Persuasian is not a Mac-y song. I don't think even Neil would do this justice particularly. If you want to pick any Tim Finn songs to cover surely Fraction too much Friction is the one, at the very least it's extrembly topical.
Have you heard the Richard & Teddy Thompson version?

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 10-28-2018, 06:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I think you have to put talk of a new album into perspective. Of course they are saying it and need to say it to promote the idea the new members are not tour replacements. Just remember the Mac also said they were going to make lots of albums with Rick and Billy and they were much younger then.
Lots of talk. Lindsey even stated there was most likely another Buck/Vie album last year. Yeah, right! It was never going to happen but now its certain not to happen.

I can see it now. The Fleetwood Mac 2022 tour sponsored by Depends
Chris can barely play now if she is playing at all. The last song of the tour she needs to sit in a chair. I get it, she stood all night and is doing fantastic for her age. She could be a great grandma. But I just don't see them touring again.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 10-28-2018 at 06:47 AM..
Old 10-28-2018, 06:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Chris can barely play now if she is playing at all. The last song of the tour she needs to sit in a chair. I get it, she stood all night and is doing fantastic for her age. She could be a great grandma. But I just don't see them touring again.
I think Christine would love to record again with FM, and we all know John and Mick would, too. I'm pretty sure Mike and Neil would, too. That leaves Stevie, and one of the main reasons she didn't record with FM before is no longer there, so I think she would, too.

People have been saying Christine is playing keyboards on this tour. We've all made a lot of assumptions why she wasn't playing much on the Buck/Vie tour, so I'm not going to bother speculating what's changed now, I'm just glad she's able to.

As far as touring goes, how's this for their tour slogan: "Would you see FM without Lindsey Buckingham? DEPENDS!"
Old 10-28-2018, 07:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I think you have to put talk of a new album into perspective. Of course they are saying it and need to say it to promote the idea the new members are not tour replacements. Just remember the Mac also said they were going to make lots of albums with Rick and Billy and they were much younger then.
Lots of talk. Lindsey even stated there was most likely another Buck/Vie album last year. Yeah, right! It was never going to happen but now its certain not to happen.

At least they managed one album with Billy & Rick. I don't think they could have foreseen Rick getting fed up or the whole feud over Silver Springs or the sudden (I think) death of Chris's father which pushed things in the direction they went.

Lindsey and Chris both told Uncut (or somesuch magazine) that although a second BuckVie album would be fun it wasn't an immediate priority for either of them. Sadly I have to agree that short of either Mick or John croaking it or going into a care home and F Mac finallly being declared defunct and Chris freed from the corporate "Don't talk to Lindsey" rule, it's about as likely as Yoko Ono kissing Mark Chapman.