User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-05-2018, 12:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
I understand that Chris' hands cannot tickle the ivories like she used to---at 75, none of us will be able to do what we once did.
The idea that Christine can't play piano at all anymore is becoming a meme, and it's been way overstated. I hope I didn't add to that perception because it was never what I meant. Your statement here is the fact on the ground. She still plays—she just doesn't play as much or as flexibly. She blues solos a bit on Black Magic Woman during the concert, even though it's subdued and carries a hint of aching joints. (Whether they actually ache is beside the point—she now plays as if it hurt a bit to play.)

Quote:
A Fleetwood Mac show should be closed with "Songbird".

Moreover, to replace the traditional "Songbird" show closer with a song from an obscure lackluster album such as "Time" is a bad decision.
It's a tradition, sure. But this band, despite its recent reputation for being stolid in its live shows, has certainly demolished many traditions by swapping out members. We've all talked about how this band feels like a different band, so dumping Songbird feels like just another small casualty of changing times. Besides, for my part, I'm all for wrenching traditions out like rotten teeth. I like going "WHOA" at concerts. I hate listening to Rhiannon at concerts.

Why keep competing with your younger, more energetic, more capable selves? Why not play to your strengths now—whatever they are? (I guess you'd have to identify them first.)

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 10-05-2018, 03:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
The Chain
Little Lies
Second Hand News
Dreams
Say You Love Me
Black Magic Woman- vocals by Stevie
Everywhere
I Got You- vocals by Neil
Rhiannon
Tell Me All the Things You Do- vocals by Neil
Storms
World Turning
Hypnotized
Oh Well- vocals by Mike
Don't Dream It's Over
Landslide
Isn't It Midnight
Monday Morning
You Make Loving Fun
Gold Dust Woman
Go Your Own Way

Encores
Free Fallin'- vocals by Stevie
Don't Stop
All Over Again- vocals by Christine and Stevie

I like it. Always good to hear different songs performed in concert. Albeit not "new songs", at least it offers something refreshing. With FM releasing the 50 yrs package it does touch on all eras of the band with the exception of BTM. No love for Rick and Billy. But overall it does capsulize the history rather well. I'd be more excited and enticed to see them on this tour under different circumstances. High ticket prices and shoddy treatment of a longstanding and highly important contributor of the band will keep me away. No, I'm not talking about Bob Welch.
Old 10-05-2018, 03:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I think they were all tired of doing the same Greatest Hits tours, but had vastly different ideas of how to change that. Lindsey wanted to make new music and the others wanted revisit the other eras of the band.
My partner (half the fan I am) has been loosely following the drama, and asked about the set list after seeing it online; I told him pretty much the same thing. These 5 just can't get on the same page... and haven't been able to for years.

That said, I love this set list (although I'd take "Stand Back" or "SDMHA" over any of Finn's songs)!!! I'm just afraid "Isn't It Midnight" is going to be dropped by the time we see them in November...

Last edited by Neal; 10-05-2018 at 04:45 PM..
Old 10-05-2018, 03:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
With FM releasing the 50 yrs package it does touch on all eras of the band with the exception of BTM.
Oddly, I half expected “Freedom” to be in the set.

Quote:
High ticket prices and shoddy treatment of a longstanding and highly important contributor of the band will keep me away. No, I'm not talking about Bob Welch.
Billy was in the band even longer…

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 10-05-2018, 03:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Billy was in the band even longer…
I'm more of a Bob fan than a Billy one. Give me "Hypnotized", "Sentimental Lady", and "Future Games" to name a few as opposed to...........I'm thinking.....I'll get back to you Steve.........
Old 10-05-2018, 04:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm more of a Bob fan than a Billy one. Give me "Hypnotized", "Sentimental Lady", and "Future Games" to name a few as opposed to...........I'm thinking.....I'll get back to you Steve.........
“In The Back Of My Mind,” “Do You Know,” “When The Sun Goes Down,” and “Talkin’ To My Heart” were pretty great. But I was just being tongue and cheek.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 10-05-2018, 04:59 PM
Senior Ledgie

I appreciate that they didn’t do Songbird. Unlike opening with The Chain, closing with GYOW, and having Finn sing MM and SHN, it acknowledges that it’s a different band and somehow seems more respectful.

Take home message for me about the setlist is Christine was more empowered or empowered herself. She had the most interesting and creative selections.

Last edited by Buster; 10-05-2018 at 05:03 PM..
Old 10-05-2018, 05:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
“In The Back Of My Mind,” “Do You Know,” “When The Sun Goes Down,” and “Talkin’ To My Heart” were pretty great. But I was just being tongue and cheek.
Haha, I do like those songs, but not just not quite as much!
Old 10-05-2018, 05:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Great post and great attitude. I have no interest in seeing this version of FM but I get where you are coming from. Have fun at both shows.
Thanks Buster

Will you be seeing Lindsey this tour?
Old 10-05-2018, 05:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
I appreciate that they didn’t do Songbird. Unlike opening with The Chain, closing with GYOW, and having Finn sing MM and SHN, it acknowledges that it’s a different band and somehow seems more respectful.

Take home message for me about the setlist is Christine was more empowered or empowered herself. She had the most interesting and creative selections.
Opener: The Chain

And if, you don't love me now
You will never love me again
I can still hear you saying
You would never break the chain (never break the chain)

Closer: All over again

Well it's it's time to move on to the rain
And finally break the chain
In spite of the heartaches
And troubles in love
I'd do it all over (do it all over)
Do it all over again

The chain's unbroken, at least while the band's playing. Bravo to Christine for an inspired way to end the show. 23 years for a live debut. That's quite a wait.
Old 10-05-2018, 05:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Haha, I do like those songs, but not just not quite as much!
Same. Billy was consistent. He didn’t quite get to cringe (Bright Fire, Born Enchater), but he was never especially inspired (Lay It All Down, Hypnotized, Miles Away). Bekka brought out the best in him with the band.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 10-05-2018, 06:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I like it. Always good to hear different songs performed in concert. Albeit not "new songs", at least it offers something refreshing. With FM releasing the 50 yrs package it does touch on all eras of the band with the exception of BTM. No love for Rick and Billy. But overall it does capsulize the history rather well.
I know, the exclusion of any music from the Rick and Billy era was disappointing to me, too. Although, that could easily be fixed if they swapped As Long As You Follow with All Over Again. Does anyone know if All Over Again was co-written by Eddie Quintela? I remember Christine implied in an interview awhile back that he didn't really co-write her songs, so I wondered if that was one reason she chose to sing All Over You, because maybe he isn't credited?
Old 10-05-2018, 06:38 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Thanks Buster

Will you be seeing Lindsey this tour?
No I don’t live close to a show so will enjoy thru YouTube
Old 10-05-2018, 06:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
so I wondered if that was one reason she chose to sing All Over You, because maybe he isn't credited?
I suspect it’s because it’s just a fitting end to a show. It’s about closing up shop.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 10-05-2018, 06:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I know, the exclusion of any music from the Rick and Billy era was disappointing to me, too. Although, that could easily be fixed if they swapped As Long As You Follow with All Over Again. Does anyone know if All Over Again was co-written by Eddie Quintela? I remember Christine implied in an interview awhile back that he didn't really co-write her songs, so I wondered if that was one reason she chose to sing All Over You, because maybe he isn't credited?
It is a co-write. He is credited. A little surprised by that. But I actually have my Time cd booklet in hand verifying it. One of 1000 sold! I'd rather "Freedom" get swapped in for something else, but not "All Over Again". I haven't heard it yet but I think that's a cool way to end the show. Something obscure and not "Songbird".

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/to6koX4zBbc" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by jwd; 10-05-2018 at 07:08 PM.. Reason: embed video
Old 10-05-2018, 06:51 PM
Mr Scarrott
This message has been deleted by Mr Scarrott.