The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-19-2004, 02:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
Hmmm, I still can't see Zeppelin as a dark sound. Not exactly fluffy, but I still don't see it as 'dark'. Unless you're referring to Stairway which seems to be what many think of them as. They were mystical, an element of Zeppelin I try to ignore, it's basically the riffs, oh and the bass, and the drums....well everything but Plant actually. Other than the mystical element he really only sung about sex in all forms and occasionally love and rock'n'roll music. He also sung about these topics on a very basic level. As I go through the Zeppelin songs that I listen to (on repeat day after day) I can't find many deep, dark, depressing songs. In fact now I can't find anything 'dark' about them at all. They were heavier I suppose, although they were still mostly acoustic so even that doesn't hold up. Now I'm confused entirely. Ah, it's Jimmy's Alister Crowley thing perhaps. The symbols and clothes, although nowdays it just makes them look like a bunch of Spinal Tap rip-offs. Now I'm actually curious.
actually, I think of Stairway as their "pretty" song (I don't know all their songs, mostly the ones on the radio). yes, they are mystical, I like that. When I say "hard", i'm specifically referring to the guitar sound, or the band sound...maybe the vocals, but...not really...
I like the singing about sex and rock and roll, I can stand behind that. I guess I find even their acoustic sound "hard". It's just not as "pretty" as I super-love. It's hard to explain it, because it's kind of visceral, but it's mainly the sound of the band, the guitar, the music - it has nothing to do with the image or anything else, as i didn't know their image, ever, before i heard them. And i really did grow up hearing them (mostly the radio songs) as i was born in '74. Ok, to make a comparison, I really liked Simon and Garfunkel all the time i was growing up. See how pretty they are, comparitively? sorry, that's the best i can explain it at this very moment, when i should be doing homework, yet somehow ambition and furthering the point of my life is less interesting than randomly talking about Led. ahh, you know how it is...plus, Jimmy Carter is on Letterman...it's "Amber's squirrel mind" at it's worse...
ok, talk to you tomorrow, or whenever...
Amber "I love Jimmy Carter because he couldn't play politics" G.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 10-19-2004, 08:18 AM
Lux
This message has been deleted by Lux.
Old 10-19-2004, 08:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain
Lest you guys forget this article appears to be out of the UK, so band like Dire Straights and Wet Wet Wet are going to rank higher than they would here.
I don't care if it is out of the UK, I agree with whoever said that to be considered a "band" you need to play instruments. Otherwise, you're a "group". Semantics? Maybe.

Oh yeah, Woohoo for the Mac being at 10! If it were my list, they'd be higher, but that's because I don't like the Beatles or Bruce or the Stones (not sure where they were on the list, though).

Carol
Old 10-19-2004, 11:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet
I don't care if it is out of the UK, I agree with whoever said that to be considered a "band" you need to play instruments. Otherwise, you're a "group". Semantics? Maybe.

Oh yeah, Woohoo for the Mac being at 10! If it were my list, they'd be higher, but that's because I don't like the Beatles or Bruce or the Stones (not sure where they were on the list, though).

Carol
I agree, these are not "bands". This list is based on numbers only. How many copies of their top album sold and how big was biggest tour. It is not based on "merit", but mostly on money. Therefore, some bands on the list are "quality" because of course people will be drawn to that. And then others were just what was "in" with the kids at the time, who buy lots of records. However, there is something very wrong with a juxtaposition such as:

Spice Girls
34.Def Leppard
35.Deep Purple
36.UB40
37.Aerosmith
38.Wham!
39.Pearl Jam
40.Hootie & the Blowfish
An Aerosmith/Wham/Pearl Jam sandwich? What the??? Spice Girls next to Def Leppard, and ahead, has the world gone mad?
Old 10-19-2004, 12:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Let me get this straight. Boyz II Men are on that list and Blondie is nowhere to be found? One of the most influential bands in music was left off in favor of Boyz II Men?

What's the world coming to?

Old 10-19-2004, 12:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Backstreet boys higher than ABBA and Police???
Dire Straits higher than Bee Gees and Police??

yeah, sure!

" sales of their biggest album, the scale of their biggest headlining show and the total number of weeks spent on the UK album chart."
Old 10-19-2004, 01:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

What a bullsh*t list. Honestly comparing Beatles sales figs to those of now is absurd, as is concert sales...You just can't compare eras like that, it's like comparing sports figures...
Now if they compared total album sales, sales $$ adjusted for inflation etc, then I might care, but otherwise...
Oh and in the US the Beatles still lead total album sales, above even Elvis, and I'm pretty sure that they have ALL of thier major albums in the Top 100/50 albums of ALL time...
But anyways, the name of the list is absurd, it allows the one hit wonders to get a high placing by only counting one album and gives more advantage to recent bands with the allowence for larger concert venues...

Oh, well, yay for the Mac for making top 10.
My three...
1Beatles
2Stones
3Zep

Oh and Amber if you want a "pretty" Zep song try "Going to California", it's the song that made me like Zep, "Over The Hills and Far Away" and "That's the Way" are also a bit softer...but Zep isn't really soft anyways.
"May the Force be with you..."~Star Wars
Old 10-19-2004, 02:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadegypsy
Oh and Amber if you want a "pretty" Zep song try "Going to California", it's the song that made me like Zep, "Over The Hills and Far Away" and "That's the Way" are also a bit softer...but Zep isn't really soft anyways.
oh, thanks, that's sweet, but i know Going to California (I think, unless..no, i know it) not the others, though. But actually i didn't want pretty zep, especially. Zep is Zep, and it's totally fine. ok, but i have a CD, maybe i'll see if those are on it when i get home. I'll still probably like Zep the same as i did, which is enough..

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 10-21-2004, 11:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I would put Led Zep at #1 except for the fact that their lyrics stink half the time. Other than that, they are a flawless band.

So, with that said, F.M. should be #1, at least in my mind, but I understand why they're not.

The Beatles take it every time, why? I have no clue. Someone please explain it to me without mentioning "album sales" because that means nothing to me.

Last edited by cliffdweller; 10-21-2004 at 11:11 AM..
Old 10-21-2004, 11:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Arrow Bands I like on the list....

Pink Floyd (I love them, thanks to seteca who helped me on the road to becoming a fan. I only own DSotM, but I have LOTS of CD's on my want list...trust me, they are on there.)
U2 (Like some of their stuff)
Queen (Have their greatest hits)
Dire Straits (Sultans of Swing is greatness, and yep, he's one of the best guitarists)
Fleetwood Mac (Hell yeah!!!!)
The Eagles (Lyin' Eyes is my fave song, but I'm not a huge fan)
Oasis (Haven't heard lots, but I love Wonderwall)
Bon Jovi (Have their greatest hits)
Genesis (Have their greatest hits)
Bee Gees (was obsessed with the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack as a kid)
Backstreet Boys (love them!)
The Carpenters (grew up listening to them thanks to my dad)
Journey (Have their greatest hits)
Spice Girls (love those gals)
Def Leppard (Photograph is greatness!)
Aerosmith (Dream On rules and I like some of their other stuff too)
Wham! (George is one of my fave singers)
'N Sync (love them too, but BSB is my fave of the two)
Duran Duran (Have their greatest hits and they still have it!)
Erasure (Have their greatest hits)
The Shadows (Not that familiar with their work, but seteca is filling me in)
Boyz II Men (Loved their debut album)

Last edited by wondergirl9847; 10-21-2004 at 11:30 AM..
Old 10-21-2004, 11:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain
Lest you guys forget this article appears to be out of the UK, so band like Dire Straights and Wet Wet Wet are going to rank higher than they would here.
But still, that does not explain how HOOTIE AND THE BLOWFISH made the list, at number 40, to boot! What's the world coming to, Liddy?
Old 10-21-2004, 11:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Actually Beatles should be number one on the list.

period.

end of sentence.

Old 10-21-2004, 12:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerDeanna
Actually Beatles should be number one on the list.

period.

end of sentence.

----- ----- -----
(John) (Paul) (George) (Ringo)
Old 10-21-2004, 03:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree with the first three even if not in that order. Mine:
1. Rolling Stones
2.Led Zeppelin
3. Pink Floyd

...then:
4. Beatles
5. Fleetwood Mac

But this list for the rest is surreal. Where are Sly And The Family Stone? The Who? The Clash? The Cure? The Smiths? (a lot of "The" groups left out..)

I agree about the Spice Girls but Backstreet Boys, Hootie And The Blowfish and Wet Wet Wet are so depressing to me

Romy

Non vogliate negar l'esperienza
di retro al sol, del mondo sanza gente
Considerate la vostra semenza
fatti non foste a viver come bruti
ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza ~ Dante Alighieri, Divina Commedia, Inferno Canto XXVI