Old 10-19-2018, 02:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

http://illinoisentertainer.com/2018/...ey-buckingham/

Live Review & Photo Gallery: Lindsey Buckingham at Athenaeum Theatre
Brassneck | October 18, 2018 | 0 Comments
Lindsey Buckingham
Athenaeum Theatre, Chicago
Wednesday, October 17, 2018

The first time Lindsey Buckingham left Fleetwood Mac, it was on his own accord, though by all indications including a very public lawsuit, the latest round was a result of being asked to leave. But one band’s loss is another man’s gain, at least as far as the singer/songwriter/guitar slinger’s Solo Anthology Tour through the intimate Athenaeum Theatre was concerned when the Rock and Roll Hall of Famer was able to expand well beyond the commercially-minded limitations of the arena-filling juggernaut into decidedly experimental, eccentric and personal territory.

Even so, Buckingham never lost his knack for an infectious hook, launching the almost two-hour concert with the jangly, jittery “Don’t Look Down” and barely taking a breather before diving unflinchingly into the unshakable eeriness of “Go Insane.” For the entire front half of the full band offering, the 69-year-old who remains at the top of his game stuck entirely to solo contexts (“Not Too Late,” “Trouble,” “Street Of Dreams”), but after unplugging all by himself with the fittingly-named “Shut Us Down,” he cast fresh light on FM’s “Never Going Back Again” and completely deconstructed “Big Love” (much like the version from The Dance).

His four kick butt backers returned for “In Our Own Time,” “Slow Dancing” and “Soul Drifter,” then Buckingham took a rare but entirely welcome trip down the “Holiday Road” from National Lampoon’s Vacation. Granted, that cut may have been a bit of a soundtrack novelty compared to strictly following an artistic compass, but it was a front to back dog-barking blast and opened the door for a trio of other big Macs (who the headliner insists he still loves while reaching a point of acceptance that “everything happens for a reason”).

In other words, none of the “Second Hand News” that’s been floating around the gossip circles stopped him from tearing into the stomping “Tusk” with gritty abandon, keeping the raw emotion building with “I’m So Afraid” and unfurling an onslaught of guitar pyrotechnics during “Go Your Own Way.” The encore of less familiar but no less satisfying tunes such as “Turn It On” could be considered either an epilogue to this specific concert or a hint of what might be coming – which probably won’t reach the masses to the degree of a Fleetwood Mac undertaking, but may prove even more rewarding and fulfilling for a restless creative who seems ready for the challenge.

-Review and photos by Andy Argyrakis
Old 10-19-2018, 11:28 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola View Post
Now compare this exchange with the guy behind me at the United Center. He thought Lindsey quit because he didn't want to tour so we discussed that. Then we talked about how many times we've seen FM (both of us multiple times) and Lindsey solo (me multiple--him never). I told him about the show this week. He already knew about it and said "yeah, but Lindsey's for the......(he's searching for the right word with furrowed brow)....aficionado". This guy was as relaxed as could be but he shifted in his seat while talking about Lindsey. The body language was uncomfortable and really interesting to me. Plus the way he described Lindsey made me smile. He just had no interest in a Lindsey show despite my glowing praise.
This made me lol
Old 10-19-2018, 01:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for the reviews and posting the articles. Sounds like everyone is having a good time.

Nice that Lindsey is getting good reviews. He seems gracious about the split from FM. He accepts it and still loves them.

Lindsey Buckingham moving forward and not looking back!
Old 10-19-2018, 03:19 PM
Senior Ledgie

I was at this show and loved it.

I've seen Lindsey on every tour sans 1992 (I would have been in diapers, but I probably still would have loved it) and this was by far my favorite.

It felt good for Lindsey to be accompanied by a "band" again, rather than a few accompanying musicians.

Jimmy is exactly the drummer that Lindsey needed. Wow, what a player.

I'm probably in the minority, but I really enjoyed Neal not being at this show. It gave Lindsey more of a chance to use his expressive style to fill up more of the space. Neal is an incredible guitar player but I feel like he sometimes overcrowds Lindsey and I've never been a fan of his very good, but very generic guitar tone. It never gelled for me.

The setlist and deep tracks - just wow.

I lost it during "Surrender the Rain" and "Street of Dreams". I felt embarrassed for my SO there with me, but I was overcome with emotion. Not only was it beautiful, but those songs are so connected to my teenage years when I needed Lindsey's music so badly. It's amazing what music can do to you.

All-in-all, we had a great time. I'm hopeful that I can attend another show on this tour and that he extends it next year!
Old 10-20-2018, 08:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

love all the reviews here! i had several close friends there and they said Chicago rocked it with Lindsey!!

here's another nice review - his reviews have always been great but they've been nothing short of spectacular this tour. i've seen him solo, with Mac and as Buckvie many many times since 2011, and this year's show is a winner by far! cannot wait to go to another one!

Something to Prove! Lindsey Buckingham at Athenaeum Theatre (October 17, 2018)

When you go to see musicians who first gained fame back in the 70s, there is always a chance they are just doing a victory lap and they aren’t really excited about the music anymore. This is definitely not the case with Lindsey Buckingham. His live show is full of energy and excitement. Also, he has something to prove since he was kicked out of Fleetwood Mac, according to the lawsuit he filed against the band.

“Been down one time / Been down two times” he sings on “Never Going Back Again”. “I’m never going back again!” and he nods to the audience in a clear comment on his current situation with Fleetwood Mac. The issue is a clear undercurrent of the night. It comes up again when he says that Warner Brothers wants to make a greatest hits compilation of his solo work. He notes that he doesn’t like to look back and prefers to look forward with a wink.

Along with his solo songs, he mixes in some great Fleetwood Mac songs including “Go Your Own Way”. Buckingham’s enthusiasm was strong for the entire show. He goes into a really great groove on “I’m So Afraid” as he shreds the solo. Afterwards, he pumps his fists in triumph. He’s one of the greatest performers of our time and it’s an absolute pleasure to watch him in action, especially in the intimate space of the Athenaeum Theatre.

See the full setlist here.

Quinn Delaney

https://blog.playlisthq.com/2018/10/...tober-17-2018/

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 10-22-2018, 10:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Lindesy Buckingham 10-17-18 Comments FM

Old 10-22-2018, 10:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Old 10-22-2018, 10:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Remarks about the Solo Anthology
Old 10-22-2018, 10:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Street of Dreams
Old 10-22-2018, 11:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Slow Dancing

Hope these videos look okay. Enjoy everyone!
Old 10-22-2018, 11:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Forgot to add-this video is Don't Look Down and Go Insane
Old 10-22-2018, 11:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The second video is Don't Look Down and Go Insane.....geez
Old 10-22-2018, 11:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Hello! I haven't posted here in a while, but I wanted to share a playlist I made of videos I took from the Chicago show at the Athenaeum Theatre. There are also videos that other people have shot in there as well.

I also just want to thank the previous poster for posting those other videos from the Chicago show!

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIz7...tghMaLItkePEoY
Old 10-22-2018, 11:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for more videos. Was this show great or what!