Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-27-2006, 06:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default John McVie's Gotta Band

So, how worth it is this CD? I saw it listed as being available at a used CD store near me, and I'm kinda curious. It's only about ten bucks, maybe a bit more with S&H. If anything, I'd want it more as a "collectors item", so to speak. Thoughts?
Old 02-27-2006, 07:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldustsongbird
So, how worth it is this CD? I saw it listed as being available at a used CD store near me, and I'm kinda curious. It's only about ten bucks, maybe a bit more with S&H. If anything, I'd want it more as a "collectors item", so to speak. Thoughts?
I think $10 may be a bit steep. I've seen it on eBay for about 2 or 3 dollars. I don't have it. The only thing I've heard from the album is that one song on that Best Buy CD.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57
I think $10 may be a bit steep. I've seen it on eBay for about 2 or 3 dollars. I don't have it. The only thing I've heard from the album is that one song on that Best Buy CD.
Yeah, I don't know. I probably won't get it, since I listened to some of the clips at the Leg, and that chick's voice bugs me.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

If you can get past her voice (which I actually enjoy, in a bluesy way), this album features some of John's best bass playing. I think most of the album holds up. I think it's certainly the most tasteful solo album from 1992. Plus, Billy Burnette and George Hawkins added some really great harmonies throughout the album, while Mick Taylor adds a lot of great guitar playing.

As mentioned, you can find it cheaper, but, FWIW, I really enjoy this album and would recommend it.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-28-2006, 12:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I paid 1 cent plus shipping for my copy (bought it on Ebay) and I really don't think it was worth much more than that. Lola Thomas' voice is okay but not great and even Billy Burnette's steller songwriting and musicianship couldn't save this one from mediocrity.

It's one of those discs that I keep around just to satisfy the completist in me.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Vicky
It's one of those discs that I keep around just to satisfy the completist in me.
I bought it when it came out...listened once all the way through...put it back in the case...and there it has sat on the shelf ever since. (It only has been taken off the shelf to be packed during the two times I've moved since I bought it).

Yep, file this one, "for completists only".
Old 02-28-2006, 01:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
I bought it when it came out...listened once all the way through...put it back in the case...and there it has sat on the shelf ever since. (It only has been taken off the shelf to be packed during the two times I've moved since I bought it).

Yep, file this one, "for completists only".
So there's at least TWO copies in the world that were sold immediately after release, played once, though every second of it, and then ate dust ever since.
yeah chili, a dutch one too.

Old 02-28-2006, 01:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up
So there's at least TWO copies in the world that were sold immediately after release, played once, though every second of it, and then ate dust ever since.
yeah chili, a dutch one too.
Whew, you guys are making me SO relieved that I never bought it!
Old 02-28-2006, 01:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Bought mine on eBay a while back for about $1-2 plus postage, played it once. It was better than I expected it to be - yet I haven't played it since.

I thought Lola Thomas' voice to be way better and much less annoying than that girl on Mick's "Something Big".
Old 02-28-2006, 02:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretonbanquet
Bought mine on eBay a while back for about $1-2 plus postage, played it once. It was better than I expected it to be - yet I haven't played it since.

I thought Lola Thomas' voice to be way better and much less annoying than that girl on Mick's "Something Big".

I don't find Lauren Evans' voice that annoying...at least not as much as that OTHER girl that Mick used to play drums behind back in the late 70's & 80's. (and I don't mean the one who played keyboards)
Old 02-28-2006, 02:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
I don't find Lauren Evans' voice that annoying...at least not as much as that OTHER girl that Mick used to play drums behind back in the late 70's & 80's. (and I don't mean the one who played keyboards)
Who can you mean?

Old 03-01-2006, 04:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldustsongbird
It's only about ten bucks, maybe a bit more with S&H.
I think you could get it NEW off eBay for less than that including S&H. Mine only cost me $10 AUD (currently about $7.50 US, but more like $6.50 US at the time) including postage to Aus. I think the CD was 49 cents US.

I guess I was expecting something different from this album. I saw reviews describing this as 'honky tonk', and it seems I have no idea what 'honky tonk' actually is (OK, shoot me down, I can take it). I would describe this as pop-country (or nu-country they seem to call it around here) - similar to Gina Jefferies, although that would only mean something to Aussies - and fairly bland pop-country at that.

Last edited by Neb-Maat-Re; 03-01-2006 at 04:31 PM..
Old 03-01-2006, 04:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I still say "Evidence," "Now I Know," "Lost What You Had," "The Bigger The Love," and "One More Time With Feeling" are worth the price of the CD. But, then, I usually only pay attention to John's bass playing, which, as expected, kicks ass.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-01-2006, 06:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
John's bass playing, which, as expected, kicks ass.
I fully intend to give this another listen at some stage if only for this reason.

I just have access to so much good music at the moment and so little time to listen to it all. Still, retirement is only 17 years away!