Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Fleetwood Mac and Warner Bros.

So I know FM has its own distribution company, but what's there status with Warner Bros.? I mean we now know Stevie is meeting a contractual obligation with Warner/Reprise. My thought is if FM was still connected to WB they would have allowed Stevie to put off her solo album until the new FM LP and tour.Basically what should be a highly successful lp and tour with Christine. So I assume there is no FM Warners partnership. Any thoughts?
Old 07-10-2014, 12:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

On the Warner Bros website there is no mention of Fleetwood Mac in their artists section, which lists all their artists, so I assume they are not with them.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
So I know FM has its own distribution company, but what's there status with Warner Bros.? I mean we now know Stevie is meeting a contractual obligation with Warner/Reprise. My thought is if FM was still connected to WB they would have allowed Stevie to put off her solo album until the new FM LP and tour.Basically what should be a highly successful lp and tour with Christine. So I assume there is no FM Warners partnership. Any thoughts?
I'm not sure what Fleetwood Mac's status with Warner/Reprise is, so I can only speculate. I think the Stevie Nicks owes Warner/Reprise one more album under her contract, thus, the quickie recording sessions for "24 Karat Gold".

I do not think Fleetwood Mac is currently under contract with ANY record label, considering the last EP was released without a label to ITunes. During the recording of "Say You Will", The Mac were negotiating a possible deal with Interscope Records, but decided to go with Warner/Reprise. So, I know, at that time, they didn't necessarily have a deal with Warner.

So, I think what record label that the next Fleetwood Mac album is released under is anybody's guess. Due to their iconic status and the return of Chris, they will have NO PROBLEM finding a number of major labels that are willing to court them. My guess is that they will return to Warner/Reprise since that label holds the rights to most of their catalog. Once again, I have no documentation and this is ALL SPECULATION.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I tend to think you're right. If FM were still under contract with Warner Bros, I can imagine Warner Bros would highly encourage Stevie to jettison recording a solo album in favor of a Mac one. This is because the Mac tends to sell at least 50% better than Stevie does solo. Plus, Warner Bros has a much larger Mac back catalogue they can capitalize on vs Stevie's solo career. When established artists like Fleetwood Mac release new albums, their old albums tend to see a spike in sales at the same time. Especially with Christine back in the fold, Warner Bros would highly encourage a new Mac album vs a Stevie solo one. My guess is the band probably hasn't chosen a record label yet. But I could be wrong... maybe Warner Bros wants both albums out quickly to offset costs & for them to bolster each other's success.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

When Stevie scheduled to make her solo album, no one expected Christine to pop back into the band. I don't believe she is under any obligation, regardless of any ties to Warners, to drop her plans just because Fleetwood Mac comes calling. Nor should she.

I hope, between the pending release of her new album and the upcoming Mac tour (and subsequent album), the cross promotion will benefit both of them. I am wondering how Stevie will find time to promote her album. Once she gets off the road with Fleetwood Mac, they have an album to finish. I can't imagine how she could squeeze in a large scale solo tour.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 07-10-2014 at 01:09 PM..
Old 07-10-2014, 01:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exactly. The way it's playing out is that FM and WB aren't collaborating and WB is pressing Steve's solo to capitalize on the Christine-FM tour and lp talk.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I hate to be a Debbie downer..but there be a chance that FM could strike a deal with Warners during the next few months and end up pushing Steve's solo release until after the FM release. I sure hope not. Am I thinking too much?
Old 07-10-2014, 08:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I hate to be a Debbie downer..but there be a chance that FM could strike a deal with Warners during the next few months and end up pushing Steve's solo release until after the FM release. I sure hope not. Am I thinking too much?
Interesting theory, Bandon. I could also see this happening. We have no confirmed release date for "24 Karat Gold", and I think she has recorded substantially more than 12 songs for that record. They could just give some of those songs to The Mac, sign a deal and get the record out by next Spring for a second round of touring.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
Interesting theory, Bandon. I could also see this happening. We have no confirmed release date for "24 Karat Gold", and I think she has recorded substantially more than 12 songs for that record. They could just give some of those songs to The Mac, sign a deal and get the record out by next Spring for a second round of touring.
Seriously...What are you two smoking???
Why would WB shelve a record for an artist they have a contract with (Stevie) that has been recorded, mixed, mastered and is simply waiting for whatever loose ends that need to be tied up before being pressed packaged and distributed with a projected drop date of October... It seems FM has no contract, and a record that is no where near being finished and ready for release so why would WB turn it's back on a sure thing in favor of something that doesn't even exist yet...Not to mention the fact that Stevie has been working at warp speed to get things done BEFORE the FM tour...Can WB and FM really afford to piss her off by shelving her record??? I think not...If FM/WB want Stevie on board with a new FM record they had better keep her happy or else she'll drag her feet again when it comes to a new FM record for another couple of years...This is FM's last shot at recording so they had better not blow it...Tour and new record in 2015 then 2 or 3 years off and a "farewell" tour 2018...
I hate to be a "Debbie downer" but has anyone done the math on all this??? Christine turns 71 in a few days and if FM were to be still touring in August of 2018 she would be 75 and Stevie will be 70...

Last edited by BlueDenimLamp; 07-10-2014 at 10:37 PM..
Old 07-10-2014, 11:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp View Post
Why would WB shelve a record for an artist they have a contract with (Stevie) that has been recorded, mixed, mastered and is simply waiting for whatever loose ends that need to be tied up before being pressed packaged and distributed with a projected drop date of October... It seems FM has no contract, and a record that is no where near being finished and ready for release so why would WB turn it's back on a sure thing in favor of something that doesn't even exist yet...Not to mention the fact that Stevie has been working at warp speed to get things done BEFORE the FM tour...Can WB and FM really afford to piss her off by shelving her record??? I think not...If FM/WB want Stevie on board with a new FM record they had better keep her happy or else she'll drag her feet again when it comes to a new FM record for another couple of years...This is FM's last shot at recording so they had better not blow it...Tour and new record in 2015 then 2 or 3 years off and a "farewell" tour 2018...
I hate to be a "Debbie downer" but has anyone done the math on all this??? Christine turns 71 in a few days and if FM were to be still touring in August of 2018 she would be 75 and Stevie will be 70...
BlueDenimLamp gots feelin's!
Old 07-11-2014, 12:24 AM
Senior Ledgie

Don't WB own the masters to most of FM's work? Back in the day, and sometimes today, those contracts signed with big labels usually had that in the fined print, yes? The artists had the publishing, however, the record companies owned the masters of all the songs and could/can release those songs however they wish... Hence the many releases of - whatever..... Yes, the arists get the publishing royalities - however the record companies gain much more in $$$.

Lindsey made it a point to say in DR that he OWNED the masters to his songs, which gave him a broader range of freedom of how his songs were released. That point is not to go by the wayside...
So just with that in mind, the contracts drawn up now and how this new release, and future ones, and how it would be released in future "greatest hits" etc. would probably be a major point of negotiating with WB with this next go round - both have each other at a stand still -
I kinda think that's why Extended Play was thrown out there to test the waters on their own terms - without a record company behind them - to see how it went in terms of dollars.. Hence no full album...

Just some thoughts...

When you don't know what it is
But you can't get enough of it
Old 07-11-2014, 01:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Why would WB shelve a record for an artist they have a contract with (Stevie) that has been recorded, mixed, mastered and is simply waiting for whatever loose ends that need to be tied up before being pressed packaged and distributed with a projected drop date of October... It seems FM has no contract, and a record that is no where near being finished and ready for release so why would WB turn it's back on a sure thing in favor of something that doesn't even exist yet...Not to mention the fact that Stevie has been working at warp speed to get things done BEFORE the FM tour...Can WB and FM really afford to piss her off by shelving her record??? I think not...If FM/WB want Stevie on board with a new FM record they had better keep her happy or else she'll drag her feet again when it comes to a new FM record for another couple of years....
I believe...just what you said. I don't see how Stevie's new album, like all of her albums, has any bearing on what Fleetwood Mac does. Her solo career has always been independent from the band.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 07-11-2014 at 02:01 AM..
Old 07-11-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
And that's a wrap people!!!
Old 07-11-2014, 11:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Uh...okay.

Rather be smoking than drinking the Kool-Aid.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I get really tired of seeing this dropped into discussions around here. People don't just wither up and blow away once they hit 70. Pete Seeger was still performing into his 90s. BB King is nearly 90, and keeps a more rigorous touring schedule than Fleetwood Mac ever did back in their heyday. I could list lots of other musicians who remain(ed) active in their golden years. Stevie herself has said she'll never retire and will probably die onstage. So why do people keep forecasting the band's demise? Christine may be the oldest member of the band, but she honestly looks healthier, happier, & more vigorous than she has in her entire career. And she's said she's in it for the long haul now.