Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-09-2003, 11:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Not so brilliant after all!

Apologies all round... I was mistaken with the reference to "Everybody Finds Out". I could have sworn Lindsey sang that line during "Shuffle Riff" but my recollection was quite inaccurate so I'm sorry for misleading people and raising hopes in vain.

As Johnny Stew commented, it's quite possible that sarahrhiannon.com's crediting of "Everybody Finds Out" to Lindsey may have been speculative or even an error, especially considering that it seems more than likely that the songs will be split evenly between Stevie and Lindsey on the new album.

At the end of the day, it doesn't particularly concern me if Lindsey has more tracks than Stevie as long as the music is of a high calibre. I have every reason to believe it will be even though I am still smarting over the omission of "Down On Rodeo" and inclusion of "Miranda". I don't detest "Miranda" (I actually really dig the lyrics - "She sticks the camera right into her arm/Anything to forget what the trouble's about" is inspired and the guitar refrain is gorgeous) but it was definitely my least favourite song from the "Gift Of Screws" sessions. I'm hoping that some improvements have been made to the chorus during the last 18 months and that maybe some vocal interplay between Lindsey and Stevie might offer some respite.

"Down On Rodeo" is one of Lindsey's greatest compositions in my opinion and I am certain it could have been a hit single so it is beyond me why this was relegated to the vaults. There were other "GOS" songs I would have liked on the new album as well (most notably "Shuffle Riff") but none cried out for Stevie's harmonies in the way "Down On Rodeo" does. I would be very surprised if she didn't record a vocal for it during the "Say You Will" sessions and can only assume it was dropped from the final track selection due to most of Lindsey's contributions already being either soft rock or ballads. Whatever the reason, it is an opportunity wasted for everyone concerned.
Old 02-10-2003, 03:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Well who knows - maybe it is Shuffle Riff after all, as the title makes sense and you and I were fooled into thinking it was even in the song.

I guess all we can say for now is, when the CD comes out, Everybody Finds Out!!
Old 02-10-2003, 03:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It is most likely that Lindsey has 10 songs to Stevie's 8.Remember her songs tend to be longer so it may nearly equal out in actual time .

Old 02-10-2003, 12:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Not so brilliant after all!

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil
Apologies all round... I was mistaken with the reference to "Everybody Finds Out". I could have sworn Lindsey sang that line during "Shuffle Riff" but my recollection was quite inaccurate so I'm sorry for misleading people and raising hopes in vain.
Don't apologize just yet...at least not for this. I think there is a phrase in what was originally called "Steve's Riff" (Wear You Down) that has the lyric - "but I found out" a few times. So there could a link there if he changed the lyric slightly and retitled the song. It may be a very tenuous link, but a link nonetheless.
Old 02-10-2003, 10:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool Track Lists!!!

Pause and Play has Say You Will as the first single and
lists Christine McVie and Sheryl Crow as guests!
It also lists Lindsey buckingham as Producer/Engineer!

The plot thickens...with all this talk of lists! Why would
they put Murrow on there with Peacekeeper? One terror
song about ppl blowing up is enough for me!

I love the way someone mentioned putting Come right
in the middle...a Climax Song! hahaha!!! Say Goodbye
is a sweet song about young love!!! It would be great
at the end of the set as would Down on Rodeo!Oh,Well!Sky

Peacekeeper song ... Lindsey
Old 02-11-2003, 09:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

What is Play and Pause?
Old 02-12-2003, 07:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by nightbird28
What is Play and Pause?
"Pause and Play" is a website that has information on upcoming releases-both CD's & DVD's. I've found that it's fairly accurate, too.
Old 02-12-2003, 05:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool Chris on "Say You Will"?

Quote:
Pause and Play has Say You Will as the first single and
lists Christine McVie and Sheryl Crow as guests!
Wouldn't that be something IF Chris is actually on this FIRST single from FM? Puts a little more significance and weight on the song "SAY YOU WILL"doesn't it?! I can't wait to here the whole song...I really do think it may be a big hit for them.....and Sheryl is an added bonus..yay!

Joe
Old 02-12-2003, 08:39 PM
Senior Ledgie

After reading a bunch of posts I am convinced I am the only person who comes to the Ledge who has not heard any songs from the new album. Except for "Bleed To Love Her." Call me crazy but to me there is nothing like getting a new cd and racing home to hear it cover to cover. If you know what is going to be on there already, doesn't that spoil it a bit?
Old 02-12-2003, 09:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Hey Sarahw - This has been debated before but in the end it comes down to the choice the individual fan makes and the balance of what is lost/gained. Most of the Ledgies here, myself included, see the balance fall in favour of keeping to date with any and all of the raw material the band has been producing in consideration for this album/GOS/TISL. I wouldn't have it any other way! As I've said to somebody before, I don't exactly understand your attitude - you say hearing it fresh for the first time is so important - does that mean the album is any less good over time? No way! It gets better! For me, hearing 'Murrow Turning Over In His Grave' will be like meeting a little cousin all grown up! He can now be treated as an adult, but I wouldnt've passed up the childhood years for quids!

On the other hand, I haven't heard basically any of Stevie's songs, so I'm REALLY looking forwrd to that first time surprise factor, so I definitely see where you're coming from.

-----

Anyway, about Say You Will. I assumed, when I looked at Pause and Play, that Christine would feature on keyboards/backing vocal in the chorus etc. And frankly I was a bit unimpressed as, with this being the album title, likely first single, and essentially the spearhead of the new "BN FM" era, shouldn't the band stop living in the past and go BuckinghamNicks full throttle? Especially when I saw Christine's solo album listed on the same page - which I'm really looking forward to.

But now I've had a change of heart. What if Christine features on some solo vocal parts in the verse? Along with Stevie and Lindsey? It would be the ultimate Rumours-FM song!

Also I've come to appreciate the title of the album. It's the first ever Stevie-named album, and the idea is that Lindsey has come back into the fold because he and Stevie have worked out their differences - in many ways I see it as the first Lindsey-FM album to really 'embrace' Stevie's part in the band, now that her role has been freed up and expanded with Christine's departure. No more 'three songs an album'!
Old 02-13-2003, 09:32 AM
Senior Ledgie

no...I think an album gets better over time.....I guess that I am one of those people who thinks that demos are an unfinished product....sort of like going outside only half dressed.....I would just rather wait for the artist to release the product they meant it to be when they first wrote it...
Old 02-13-2003, 02:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

9 times out of 10, I prefer the finished product over the demo, but I really do enjoy hearing a song in its infancy.

Kind of like finding the rough draft of a novel that you love. You can see what ideas the writer was exploring... which ones were expanded upon, and which were ultimately thrown out.
Sometimes you even find yourself thinking, "I really wish they had left that part in."

For me, at least, it gives me more of an appreciation for the writing and recording process.

I do, however, understand the mindset of those who prefer a song to be completely finished the first time they hear it.

It's all good.

Johnny Stew