Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-03-2021, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Says you!

Seemed like an eternity!
That's because I'm your Karen. And you can't be away from me.
Old 03-03-2021, 11:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
That's because I'm your Karen. And you can't be away from me.
I would really like someone to do my dirty work for me. Okay Karen, you're hired!

Now worship the ground I walk on, and talk to my exes like they're dogs!
Old 03-03-2021, 10:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It's in the family of Spare Me, Homeward, SYLM, YMLF, and Friend
And “One in a Million”
Old 03-03-2021, 11:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
And “One in a Million”
Ho sh*t, I forgot about OIAM! Musically, I'd put it right there with Sugar Daddy. That fat organ, combined with those chromatic guitar runs. It's a bad assed song!
Old 03-04-2021, 04:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Ho sh*t, I forgot about OIAM! Musically, I'd put it right there with Sugar Daddy. That fat organ, combined with those chromatic guitar runs. It's a bad assed song!
Her voice is so similar to Stevie Winwood on the song. The first time that I heard the song I did not even know it had 2 singers.

I had heard the song on the radio. The local rock station was not really going to play Got A Hold On Me so they dug deep into the new album and played On In A Million. This was about the time that Violet and Blue came out and once I heard them back to back on this rock station.

Ok here is a geeky story about my youth. True story. I had just celebrated my 14th birthday and my parents took me and my friends to this pizza place in the local strip mall. Christine's album just dropped. After dinner me and my friend walk over to the local department store and check it out. I go over by myself to the record/stereo area (remember back in the day the stores had stereo areas besides their albums). I try and get a sneak peak at the album by myself. I was not going to buy it in front of my friends. Christine McVie was not the coolest cat for a 14 year old. Sure enough while I had the album in my hands and reading the back cover how Eric Clapton plays on the album, the local rock station is playing on several stereos. Sure enough the hard rock station introduces the new song from Christy McVie (thats what they called her) and it was One In A Million. I was blown away and floored. OMG, I bought that album right then and there and played the crap out of it for about a year.
In life, timing is everything
Old 03-04-2021, 11:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It's amazing how concerned we were with what our friends thought. It was never cool to like any version of FM after Bob Welch.
Old 03-04-2021, 12:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It's amazing how concerned we were with what our friends thought. It was never cool to like any version of FM after Bob Welch.
I was too young but I imagine the White Album and Rumours era must have been cool. Classic Rock stations today only play songs from those Mac albums. Tusk sort of killed them on mainstay rock stations and Mirage was a big no too. Tango didn't help either
Old 03-04-2021, 12:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I was too young but I imagine the White Album and Rumours era must have been cool. Classic Rock stations today only play songs from those Mac albums. Tusk sort of killed them on mainstay rock stations and Mirage was a big no too. Tango didn't help either
I had never really thought of them in those terms, but you're right. Tusk was too quirky(except for Think About Me) and Mirage and Tango too poppy.

The guitar hero lost his crown, or ar least threw it away.
Old 03-04-2021, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
And “One in a Million”
Wow, we really share a lot of the same sensibilities. I am in route from LAX - JFK and was listening to One in A Million. I thought, "Holy cow, this tune is all Christine, without Lindsey (which is a great thing) The rhythm section of Ferone and Hawkins just throttles the song in such a stern way.

Add Todd and Winwood with their solos/enhancements and Good God is this a fantastic song. I haven't listened to it loud in headphones for ages. Christine's voice is so good with Steve. What a fantastic moment on this album.

I didn't realize this album was #26 on Billboard. I didn't realize it charted that high. Is that higher than OOTC, SteveMac? LOL

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 03-04-2021 at 01:41 PM..
Old 03-04-2021, 01:22 PM

Quote:
I had never really thought of them in those terms, but you're right. Tusk was too quirky(except for Think About Me) and Mirage and Tango too poppy.

Mirage is just flat out weird. Especially, for that time period. I was so weirded out by it at first. Then, I was addicted to it.

It's Law And Order with Everly Brothers and Wild Heart all smashed together. Kudos to Christine for being so dynamic her whole career. She's able to adapt to anything. Webb, Sylvester, Green, Spencer, Kirwin, Welch, Weird Buck, Normal Buck, Stevie, Rick and Billy, Neil and Mike, Winwood, Mason.. (or not Mason). lol

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 03-04-2021 at 01:25 PM..
Old 03-04-2021, 01:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Mirage is just flat out weird. Especially, for that time period. I was so weirded out by it at first. Then, I was addicted to it.

It's Law And Order with Everly Brothers and Wild Heart all smashed together. Kudos to Christine for being so dynamic her whole career. She's able to adapt to anything. Webb, Sylvester, Green, Spencer, Kirwin, Welch, Weird Buck, Normal Buck, Stevie, Rick and Billy, Neil and Mike, Winwood, Mason.. (or not Mason). lol
I remember riding around with my friends when Hold Me was first released... I'd hear that piano intro and start screaming at my friends, "stfu and CRANK IT!!!".

They could do no wrong in my eyes back then. Even the old goat...
Old 03-04-2021, 01:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

to be fair, nobody got on with Mason

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 03-04-2021, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
to be fair, nobody got on with Mason
Yeah, no doubt. Steve Winwood even had issues with him. Or, Dave had issues with Steve. (SteveMac probably knows the story better than I do.) Something about HOF.
Old 03-04-2021, 02:00 PM

Quote:
I remember riding around with my friends when Hold Me was first released... I'd hear that piano intro and start screaming at my friends, "stfu and CRANK IT!!!".

They could do no wrong in my eyes back then. Even the old goat...
I remember the first time for Can't Go Back:

jingle jingle jingle... waaaa waaaa waaaaa... jingle jingle jingle... waaa waaa waaaa...

I was like, "What is God's name is this??" and what I thought was horrible turned out to be a record I couldn't put down. And re: the painting. I thought Stevie was Christine and Christine was Stevie. I should have known it was Christine next to Lindsey in that painting because she had a drink in her hand.
Old 03-04-2021, 02:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I always give the minority opinion that few think about why Tusk destroyed the band (musically). It is not the obvious reason that the music writers point to that Tusk was not that commercially successful, etc.
It was the band's reaction to that criticism. They swung completely the other direction in making sure their next 2 albums were pure bubble gum pop. The irony is Tusk was standing up to the corporate record company machine yet that album made them become what they were not trying to be with Tusk.
I can only imagine how much better Mirage and Tango would have been without the pressure of having successful pop singles. IMHO, the track Smile At You was left off Mirage because it was an angry Stevie that rocked and it just did not fit with the music box of Mirage.
But yes, now that I pointed that out to you, you will notice that classic rock stations only program the White Album and Rumours into their tracklist. Fleetwood Mac is considered a classic rock band but only those 2 albums which is a shame. Every Eagles album is considered classic rock.