Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Question Question for Mr. Spencer...

At a BBC session done in November of 1970, among the songs that the band is said to have performed was 'Sandy Mary' -

I have not been able to track down this particular recording and it has long been an itch that I cannot scratch -

I am curious if you may have any memories of how that particular song came to be chosen and the approach (arrangement) that the band used?

I assume (fully aware of the foolishness this) that you took the lead vocal on the number - I simply can't imagine Kirwan putting across the raucousness required

The number sounds deceptively simple, yet proved difficult to pull off successfully as demonstrated by the few live versions available on bootleg (and it's one official release) - my personal favorite is also the earliest one caught on tape - it is unfortunately also the one with worst sound quality.

Recorded at the Whisky A Go-Go in January of 1970 the rhythm and tempo are different than those used on all the later versions, and your keyboard work on the number transforms the entire number, turning it into something similar to the early Who recordings, putting a pop sheen on an R & B number which none of the later versions captured

As always, you willingness to share your time and memories here is greatly appreciated

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Old 06-02-2011, 10:02 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default Re: question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynBlue View Post
At a BBC session done in November of 1970, among the songs that the band is said to have performed was 'Sandy Mary' -

I have not been able to track down this particular recording and it has long been an itch that I cannot scratch -

I am curious if you may have any memories of how that particular song came to be chosen and the approach (arrangement) that the band used?

I assume (fully aware of the foolishness this) that you took the lead vocal on the number - I simply can't imagine Kirwan putting across the raucousness required

The number sounds deceptively simple, yet proved difficult to pull off successfully as demonstrated by the few live versions available on bootleg (and it's one official release) - my personal favorite is also the earliest one caught on tape - it is unfortunately also the one with worst sound quality.

Recorded at the Whisky A Go-Go in January of 1970 the rhythm and tempo are different than those used on all the later versions, and your keyboard work on the number transforms the entire number, turning it into something similar to the early Who recordings, putting a pop sheen on an R & B number which none of the later versions captured

As always, you willingness to share your time and memories here is greatly appreciated
Sorry I can't be too much of a help on this one as far as memories go, and I don't have any recordings of it. I do remember that I would only play piano on it if one was available at the gig, (days before digital, when the only electric alternative to a real piano was something like a Rhodes or Wurly etc.). I never sang lead on it, although I think I did back up harmony vocal.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've really doubted whether that listing of "Sandy Mary" being performed for the 11/70 BBC session is correct. Seems like the band had plenty of other material to perform at that time than to go back to do a Peter Green number. I'd figured that either the whole listing of that track for the late 1970 BBC broadcast was incorrect, or that perhaps the BBC included the spring 1970 "Sandy Mary" BBC recording in their broadcast (to fill time or for some other reason?) but that the band did not re-record it for the BBC in November. If the second scenario took place, I could see where that track could then have gotten mixed up with the other tracks recorded by the band in November.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Appreciate the responses
I concur with Sharksfan2000 that the best explanation (though this is still pure speculation) is that for reasons unknown, the BBC had re-broadcast the April 27th performance on the show, and the track was subsequently listed as being “played”
The other songs listed for the session were ‘Crazy About You Baby’, ‘Down at the Crown’, ‘Turn Me Loose’ (another Fabian cover - talk about spinning gold out of straw!) and ‘Tell me all the Things You Do’
Three of those numbers, (‘Turn Me Loose’ was the odd man out) were released on the “Madison Blues” box set – all strong performances

Although they obviously had more than enough of their own material, it still would have been fun to hear Jeremy tear into ‘Sandy Mary’ – the song has a rock ‘n roll rawness heard on Larry Williams numbers such as ‘Slow Down’, ‘Dizzy Miss Lizzy’ ‘Bad Boy’ which differs from that wildness of Little Richard, which the band seemed to prefer – it is interesting that Spencer seemed to like his blues raw, i.e. Elmore James, but his rock ‘n roll and little more structured –

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder