Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-04-2017, 03:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
I was one of the 10.
wait, were you with us upfront in the Philly?? too bad we didn't get to actually meet up!!

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 07-04-2017, 03:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetwoodguy79 View Post
Loved that flub by Christine! We all got a kick out of it! Totally agree, they sounded fantastic. The biggest surprise of the evening was Too Far Gone for me. Sounded MASSIVE and bluesy rock live. Didn't like the album version, but this was fantastic. The other was You Make Loving Fun, you could close your eyes and have no idea that time had passed. Lindsey seemed to be especially fond of that one too, his licks were superb and he acted like old weird Tusk-era Lindsey in some parts.

Overall, a wonderful show. We were really confused by the lack of The Wallflowers too, although the other band was good and their drummer - I really just want to give him a hug and hang out with him...
yeah Too Far Gone was massive and went over really well, like it's been a FM hit forever, at every show i've been to, also!

i looked up The Wallflowers schedule and it seems they must have gotten pulled away at the last minute for a festival gig yesterday http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-wa...l-3e41d9f.html. they also have bunch of dates in between their gigs with BuckVie and doesn't look like they'll be in the Beacon or Sands:http://www.thewallflowers.com/tour/

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 07-04-2017, 03:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola View Post
I hope they add more dates. I want to hear the new music live as many times as I can manage. They truly have given us a gift with this album and tour. I'd love a Wisconsin show.
Thank you for your beautiful review. I hope they add more dates, too. I really want to see this show. It sounds like it's killer. They're creating good new music and touring with it. That is totally badass, and I'm super proud of them. Much respect.
Old 07-04-2017, 03:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
wait, were you with us upfront in the Philly?? too bad we didn't get to actually meet up!!

I wasn't in the pit but in the 6th row on Lindsey's side standing the entire time.
Old 07-04-2017, 03:51 PM

You guys are really getting me excited for the show!
Old 07-04-2017, 04:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The show was outstanding. They sounded great. No set list changes. I was in the 4th row center. Everyone around me jamming and enjoying themselves. Only the first row was allowed to go up to the metal barricade in front of stage(security gave wristbands) and they were strict about sending non wristband people back to their seats. They started around 9pm and ended at 10:40pm.

They were selling zip up hoodies, t-shirts, vinyl and cd's. They had signed vinyl and cd's but some of them were only signed by Chris or Lindsey, not both. Thankfully I've trained my significant other well and he asked for one of each signed by both. The merch guy said they had 60 more signed CD's in the back but we got the last of the signed vinyl. No bags available but I brought one with me as I'm a firm believer in Murphy's Law. Then we talked somebody into letting him take the stuff back to the car. So far so good.

The opening band was supposed to be the Wallflowers but for some reason it changed to Drew Holcomb and the Neighbors. He walks out and says "hello Chicago" in a not too confident voice and I thought oh dear....
The band was good though. They were well received and he gushed about Lindsey. He said when his manager called to ask him about opening for Lindsey and Chris he thought it was a prank!

I loved Wish You Were Here. All of the new songs kick ass live. Hold Me got a big whoop from the audience and me. Right before the song Chris asks if we'd like to hear something more familiar. I was surprised by that cause people were into the new stuff-at least from my vantage point. It was weird not hearing Stevie but it wasn't too jarring. I didn't see anyone dressed up like Stevie but quite a few FM shirts and a few Lindsey solo shirts. I read about somebody dressed up like Stevie at one of these shows in a thread here--unbelievable! I had so much fun with the new songs. Sheer joy experiencing new live music.

Chris sparkles. She's so much more attractive than that GD album cover. Lindsey is swoon inducing as usual. They smiled at each other often and the whole band looked happy. Part 2 later.
thanks so much for posting your review so fast after the show - it was great to get that slice from the show atmosphere, as well as a bit more about the opening act. so agree about Christine!!

Quote:
pasted text -
Review: Buckingham, McVie stay close to Fleetwood Mac at Northerly Island
Lindsay Buckingham, right, and Christine McVie, left, perform during a concert at the Huntington Bank Pavilion at Northerly Island on Monday.
(Kristen Norman / Chicago Tribune)
Joshua Klein
Chicago Tribune

Ask someone if they're a fan of Fleetwood Mac and they might respond with "which one?" From the start the group's been marked by constantly shifting line-ups, sometimes radically so. Even the band's best known (and best selling) '70s line-up eventually gave way, through acrimony and attrition, to endless permutations of the group's by-then familiar five members.

Which brings us to "Lindsey Buckingham/Christine McVie," an album credited to those titular principals and technically not a Fleetwood Mac record, but confusingly and conspicuously featuring the rhythm section of Mick Fleetwood and John McVie. While billed as something separate (and missing Stevie Nicks), much of it wouldn't be terribly out of place on a Fleetwood Mac record.

That put the pair of Buckingham and McVie, performing at Northerly Island Monday night, in the precarious position of making a case for the new album as something other than Fleetwood Mac without shying away from many of Mac's hits. That didn't stop Buckingham from further complicating matters, starting the show with his melancholy solo career gem "Trouble." Played at a hushed crawl with minimal accompaniment from McVie, the arrangement unfortunately accented the modest attendance, and a handful of further slow, spare songs — even the redoubtable "Never Going Back Again" — failed to fully capture the crowd's attention.

Things perked up, however, when the rest of the band of session ringers emerged to play much of the new album, followed by a few of Fleetwood Mac's best known hits, indelible songs such as "Little Lies" and "Hold Me" that not only shifted the emphasis to the otherwise underutilized McVie and her smoky lead vocals, but highlighted how well they've always blended with Buckingham's high-strung bark. In this context new songs such as "Feel About You" and "In My World" felt like a real continuation of the pair's collaboration rather than a new take on it, if not quite on par with the lovely "Everywhere" then certainly strong enough to make you wonder if the duo album might have made a good Mac album after all.

If the headstrong and restless Buckingham has always seemed content to do his own thing, certainly McVie seemed to recognize the "almost there" quality of this current project. She introduced the aptly titled last song of the night "Game of Pretend" with a sheepish "this is not 'Songbird,'" acknowledging the albatross of Fleetwood Mac's legacy.

Joshua Klein is a freelance critic.

Old 07-04-2017, 04:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
I hope they add more dates. I want to hear the new music live as many times as I can manage. They truly have given us a gift with this album and tour. I'd love a Wisconsin show.
I could not agree more. This is the last time you will ever hear new music live from Christine and Lindsey together. The big Mac tour may dig out a few deep tracks but nothing new like what is being performed now.
Old 07-04-2017, 05:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I could not agree more. This is the last time you will ever hear new music live from Christine and Lindsey together. The big Mac tour may dig out a few deep tracks but nothing new like what is being performed now.

This is why I had to see this show and I'm so glad I did. I loved the freshness of all the new music. I would not had any problem with replacing Shut Us Down and Little Lies with On With the Show and Carnival Begins.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
This is why I had to see this show and I'm so glad I did. I loved the freshness of all the new music. I would not had any problem with replacing Shut Us Down and Little Lies with On With the Show and Carnival Begins.
Amen. Shut Us Down, at least! OWTS is a favorite!

And Think About Me or Got a Hold on Me instead of Little Lies!
Old 07-05-2017, 06:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Amen. Shut Us Down, at least! OWTS is a favorite!

And Think About Me or Got a Hold on Me instead of Little Lies!
A-men
I am sure Little Lies will be a standard next year. I am surprised and my only let down of these shows is not one Christine solo song. Got a hold on me translates so well live and would fit so good.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
A-men
I am sure Little Lies will be a standard next year. I am surprised and my only let down of these shows is not one Christine solo song. Got a hold on me translates so well live and would fit so good.

Got a Hold on Me would have been the right alternative to Little Lies. Little Lies isn't the same without Stevie's vocal part and it would make sense to have a Christine solo track.(and it was a hit)
Old 07-07-2017, 01:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up nice review of the show and new music

http://chicagoconcertreviews.com/rev...kingham-mcvie/

Buckingham McVie make lively strides forward while revisiting Fleetwood Mac with fondness

Posted on July 3, 2017 by Andy Argyrakis
Buckingham McVie
Photos by Andy Argyrakis

Ever since Christine McVie returned to the Fleetwood Mac fold in 2013 following a 15-year absence, it’s sparked a revitalized attitude within the band on stage and in the studio. Though Stevie Nicks resumed solo life after a massive reunion tour (outside of encores at this summer’s Classic West and Classic East festivals), McVie and Buckingham especially found themselves in the midst of a creative surge that resulted in their Buckingham McVie offshoot, who just dropped their self-titled debut as a duo with some session work contributions from fellow Mac members Mick Fleetwood and John McVie, plus Mitchell Froom.

Even more attention grabbing was McVie’s charming lead on her day job’s “Hold Me” (which hadn’t popped up on a set list since the early ‘80s in support of “Mirage”), in addition to the harmony-laden “Little Lies” and the muscular “Tusk,” beefed up with both Buckingham’s guitar pyrotechnics and McVie’s temporary shift from the keyboards to accordion.
Sure, the pair could’ve coasted on mainly their history on this first ever outing behind the eponymous project at Huntington Bank Pavilion At Northerly Island, but the veteran musicians (who also appear to be tension-free friends) put together a well-rounded show that encapsulated over forty years’ worth of material in 100 minutes. Rather than coming out roaring, Buckingham McVie settled in quietly with an acoustic set that sandwiched the former’s solo “Trouble” and “Shut Us Down” between Fleetwood Mac’s “Wish You Were Here” and “Never Going Back Again.”

Along with four supporting players, everyone plugged in for four tracks off the current collection (“Sleeping Around The Corner,” “Feel About You,” “In My World,” “Too Far Gone”), all of which evoked the group’s glory days, but were firmly entrenched in contemporary arrangements and lively presentations. Even more attention grabbing was McVie’s charming lead on her day job’s “Hold Me” (which hadn’t popped up on a set list since the early ‘80s in support of “Mirage”), in addition to the harmony-laden “Little Lies” and the muscular “Tusk” (beefed up with both Buckingham’s guitar pyrotechnics and McVie’s temporary shift from the keyboards to accordion).

Once Buckingham caught his breath, he explained how these sessions were shaped solely on the pair’s own terms, creative preferences and natural chemistry, which were also evident on the tenderhearted reflection “Love Is Here To Stay” and the bright jangle pop that radiated from “Red Sun.” That light-hearted tone continued on the McVie-led “You Make Loving Fun,” followed by Buckingham’s feverish fretwork showcases “I’m So Afraid” and “Go Your Own Way.”

The encore once again juggled between the sweetly sung flashback “Everywhere” and a couple fresher cuts, leaving the door wide open for Buckingham McVie’s adventures to continue however and whenever they may please. And if this winds up being a just a one-off, at least both artists can look back with pride on a record that matches if not surpasses any of their latter day works, while their abundant catalogue continues to speak for itself.

For additional information on Buckingham McVie, visit BuckinghamMcVie.com.

Upcoming concert highlights at Huntington Bank Pavilion At Northerly Island include Third Eye Blind with Silversun Pickups (Jul. 6); Gorillaz (Jul. 8); Slightly Stoopid (Jul. 9); Chicago & The Doobie Brothers (Jul. 12); Straight No Chaser and Post Modern Jukebox (Jul. 13); Phish (Jul. 14, 15 and 16); Umphrey’s McGee (Jul. 21); V103 Summer Block Party starring Jill Scott, BBD, Nelly & Kelly and SWV (Jul 22); Violent Femmes and Echo & The Bunnymen (Jul. 23); Goo Goo Dolls with Philip Phillips (Jul. 24); Fat Tire presents Tour De Fat with The Roots (Jul. 29) and Kidz Bop (Jul. 30). For additional details, visit LiveNation.com.

Old 07-07-2017, 06:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

https://www.edgemedianetwork.com/?217810

Buckingham/McVie. Blue Hills Bank Pavilion. June 28, 2017.
by James Nadeau
EDGE Media Network Contributor
Monday Jul 3, 2017

Lindsey Buckingham and Christine McVie

Two members of the great band Fleetwood Mac hit the road this summer, touring behind their new album, titled appropriately enough "Lindsey Buckingham/Christine McVie." The music is about what you'd expect from them. Lindsey brings his virtuosic guitar playing and Christine adds her smoky alto to songs that sound vaguely familiar yet aren't quite Fleetwood Mac-esque. It is clear both from the album and the live performance that the two artists mesh very well.

It was a lovely evening of a walk down memory lane (of course they played Mac songs) and a look to the future. Both made mention of an upcoming Fleetwood Mac tour next year so this was a nice hold over until the whole band is back on the stage. And after taking a 16-year break from the band McVie's return to the stage for their last tour (and on the songs performed this night) it was evident just how large a role she has played in much of their music.

The new work was bookended by Fleetwood Mac songs, with the exception of a couple of Lindsey's solo songs, "Trouble" and "Shut Us Down." The first was slowed down a bit and was a nice way to introduce the concert. It was also just Lindsey and Christine alone on stage for the first bit as well, both of them clearly enjoying themselves (which is amusing considering how much strife has occurred in their band over the years).

It was a little strange that they played Lindsey's solo work but not Christine's. She has a bunch of great songs from her solo albums that were sadly not included. No "Got a Hold On Me?" That song is much better than a couple of the new ones. Not that they aren't good but jeez, slip one in for us. It was also noticeable during "Little Lies" (a wonderful song for McVie to sing) just how much presence Stevie Nicks has because the song was a little wonky without her harmonies. "Tusk" was fantastic to hear and very entertaining as Christine took up the accordion.

Overall, it was a nice evening that was sadly not full. I'm wondering how well marketed this tour is because it should have been a full house. It is early on in the tour so I hope they gain some momentum. While Stevie Nicks certainly garners the most attention for her solo work, Lindsey Buckingham and Christine McVie are a duo not to be missed.

For more on Lindsey Buckingham and Christine McVie, including upcoming tour dates, visit their website.