User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-15-2014, 01:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
i'm happy we won't have 10 minute rambling in the middle of the set, yeah. but a little bit a banter here and there is always welcomed, as far as i'm concerned -
You mean unless it was your precious Lindsey doing the rambling. After all the FM tours I've seen, the Without You intro became my favorite part of the show. I've heard all those songs performed a million and one times with the exception of SA of course. I did also enjoy very much when Lindsey threw in a few digs toward Stevie. Certainly kept her on her toes now, didn't it. (Can't hear each other onstage? Fooey)
Old 02-15-2014, 01:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragrsrocalot View Post
Yes, I remember reading that when it was originally posted. My reference to that part of the video( when after saying the you have to take my girlfriend too part, he looks over at Stevie, ponders for a moment, then asks, "And where did that get me?") came to mind when I read your comment about Lindsey finally growing up,being over it, done.
of course, there's maybe the most prosaic one - he did her a favor and she promptly dumped him.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 02-15-2014, 01:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
You mean unless it was your precious Lindsey doing the rambling. After all the FM tours I've seen, the Without You intro became my favorite part of the show. I've heard all those songs performed a million and one times with the exception of SA of course. I did also enjoy very much when Lindsey threw in a few digs toward Stevie. Certainly kept her on her toes now, didn't it. (Can't hear each other onstage? Fooey)
but of course!

i'd rather hear him ramble than giving pre-scripted speeches as he does. but really, i'd prefer watching him tune his guitar even more.

seriously though, i'd much rather hear 2 songs instead of a 10-minute rambling in the FM set. but i can understand after seeing the last year's tour how fed-up long term fans have become by practically the exact same setlist from date to date and tour to tour, so people are happy with what little crumbs they can get.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 02-15-2014, 03:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
You mean unless it was your precious Lindsey doing the rambling.
I think banter was the correct term, because even though Stevie talked the longest, it wasn't just her speech. Even Mick, the most silent, had a part. So, it's not like it was something that only Stevie fans would enjoy or only Stevie fans would criticize.

I mean, if anyone would dislike it because of who was doing it, I think it would be John fans.

Michele
Old 02-15-2014, 03:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
i'm happy we won't have 10 minute rambling in the middle of the set, yeah. but a little bit a banter here and there is always welcomed, as far as i'm concerned - as long as it doesn't take the place that can be used for 2 songs instead, when there are so many songs we want to hear them play.

you seem to imply that what i wrote and that specific line are contradictory - can you clarify why?

most other times LB says "it worked out ok!" considering huge success the band had with both of them joining. what does he mean by turning it around and joking "where did that get me?" -maybe that he might have been better off if he didn't bring her to FM with him? maybe career-wise he'd be more successful if only he joined? or on a personal level, they wouldn't have to deal with all the old relationship baggage for decades after? idk.

he changed his line a bit and that's fun, i'm not sure there has to be some deep meaning to it. there was also that other time when he said "it wasn't looking good for ya, was it?" when she's talking about being a cleaning lady going nowhere before joining FM.

it's also funny because every time he says something a bit different she seems to be a bit caught off guard, but after initial surprise she just goes back to whatever she was gonna say anyway.
I think you are right that there's doesn't have to be deep meaning to any of this. I always took the whole thing as fun, and I would bet they both feel that the truth is what he said most often.....that it worked out well for both of them. The banter is just a way for them to remember how they started together and that 40 years later, they are rich, famous, and still doing what they love. How much better could it get?
Old 02-15-2014, 03:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
The banter is just a way for them to remember how they started together and that 40 years later, they are rich, famous, and still doing what they love. How much better could it get?
What's magical is imagining that if you closed your eyes and opened them and it was 40 years ago, you still might find them on a stage together. Ha ha. You still might find them singing one of the same songs they are singing now -- which is kind of sad that they haven't been able to scrounge together any more tunes, but ...

But because we have pictures, you can see the past and see the present and it is something to celebrate. So much has changed, but who would have thought so much would be the same back then.

It will be the same thing when Christine returns. 39 years ago. Same five people. "It's been a long strange journey. But here we are."

Michele
Old 02-15-2014, 03:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
I think you are right that there's doesn't have to be deep meaning to any of this. I always took the whole thing as fun, and I would bet they both feel that the truth is what he said most often.....that it worked out well for both of them. The banter is just a way for them to remember how they started together and that 40 years later, they are rich, famous, and still doing what they love. How much better could it get?
I, on the other hand, immediately conjured image of LB mentally covering his mouth with both hands after he let that little gem slip out. L.O.V.E. it when he (unfortunately, ever so rarely) strays off course. Love IT.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
What's magical is imagining that if you closed your eyes and opened them and it was 40 years ago, you still might find them on a stage together. Ha ha. You still might find them singing one of the same songs they are singing now -- which is kind of sad that they haven't been able to scrounge together any more tunes, but ...

But because we have pictures, you can see the past and see the present and it is something to celebrate. So much has changed, but who would have thought so much would be the same back then.

It will be the same thing when Christine returns. 39 years ago. Same five people. "It's been a long strange journey. But here we are."

Michele
ha - i feel like focusing on these as negatives . how sad!

yeah it's all great for them like Mike said (which i completely agree with! -) rich and famous and doing what they love... and apparently they love to do the same songs over and over and over and over.......... and it will be the same thing when Christine returns.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post

Michele
yes. many old bands of their era (or even older) are still around, same as them, but not all people are there anymore. same 5 people as in 1975 is definitely something to celebrate.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickney723 View Post
I, on the other hand, immediately conjured image of LB mentally covering his mouth with both hands after he let that little gem slip out. L.O.V.E. it when he (unfortunately, ever so rarely) strays off course. Love IT.
well, he did get booed for it, didn't he?

but he seemed all happy with himself and his witty remark, not regretting it. i get a feeling even he likes a bit of a change of pace on stage for time to time.

Old 02-15-2014, 04:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
well, he did get booed for it, didn't he?

but he seemed all happy with himself and his witty remark, not regretting it. i get a feeling even he likes a bit of a change of pace on stage for time to time.
He actually did say something similar during one of his solo shows once- something to the effect of- "but I guess it turned out okay! ..or maybe.. not." I love him.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

but he seemed all happy with himself and his witty remark, not regretting it.
Yes, he thought he was a card. Bon mots for everyone.

Michele
Old 02-15-2014, 04:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickney723 View Post
He actually did say something similar during one of his solo shows once-
yeah he's much more of-the-cuff during his solo shows, if he's in the mood or if audience is engaging him.

with FM, he started being more responsive as the tour progressed, especially during Big Love intro, when he's alone on the stage. guess it's a bit harder with big venues, because only people upfront hear the whole conversation, most hear just his replies. at solo shows the venues are small so almost everybody's in on both sides of the banter.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
i'm happy we won't have 10 minute rambling in the middle of the set, yeah. but a little bit a banter here and there is always welcomed, as far as i'm concerned - as long as it doesn't take the place that can be used for 2 songs instead, when there are so many songs we want to hear them play.
This is the kind of thing I've heard you mention a few times. Can I just point something out? Even if the GDW outro HADN'T been extended and even if the WY speech HADN'T lengthened, there would've been no more songs. The show just would have been shorter. The 'rambling' isn't taking the place of songs (or proposed songs) at all - it's just extending the showtime somewhat. Certainly, the very first show, the introduction for Without You was only about a minute and a half - wasn't intended to go for ten minutes, lol.

For me, the WY intro was one of the highlights, for sure. As the tour went on and Lindsey's involvement became more prominent, and they went off-message even more, I just loved it more. I can listen to almost identical versions of Big Love over and over again but I won't be hearing/seeing SnL quoting Katy Perry at each other, or Stevie pulling out a laundry list of the ways she used to care for him (and I also loved you). We don't usually get to see exchanged onstage ILUs or 'fact checking' or talk of their sleazy friends or talk of Lindsey going outside to walk in his T-shirt (outrageous!!!) or Lindsey calling her 'baby' and crowing proudly about how loving and loyal a boyfriend he was. We don't usually get to see Stevie calling him fantastic, smoking' hot, brilliant, so sexy onstage, and we don't get to see that more natural banter all the time. I love/d it. And the song wasn't half bad either...

"There’s nothing going on between you and me except that there will always be something going on between you and me. Until the day we die"
Old 02-15-2014, 06:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragrsrocalot View Post
Yes, I remember reading that when it was originally posted. My reference to that part of the video( when after saying the you have to take my girlfriend too part, he looks over at Stevie, ponders for a moment, then asks, "And where did that get me?") came to mind when I read your comment about Lindsey finally growing up,being over it, done.
But, yeah, getting back to this as I had to get some things done today.. I agree with you. Let's put it this way-

I am absolutely, 100% sure, of one thing. Three actually. Let me mentally put on my protective headgear before I proceed..

If LB could rewind back to that fateful moment back in 1974 knowing what he knows now, would he have:

joined Fleetwood Mac with Stevie? No.
joined Fleetwood Mac without Stevie? No.

Was that relationship important enough to him to risk losing fame, wealth and artistic license over something that might not have survived anyway? Yes.

Period. End of story. Commence with beatings.