Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
If it was our good friend who was violently ill, most of us wouldn't be thinking that clearly in that situation either and it's much easier to second guess them now than what they went through in front of thousands of people.
I think that's a very good point. They must have been very worried about Mick. They had to decide very quickly what to do, and they just weren't in the frame of mind to be able to step out of their comfort zone. I don't think it's right to be critical of them for how they handled the situation.

All I really care about is, I hope Mick is recovering from his illness (and I hope none of the rest of them catch it).
Old 01-19-2015, 10:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

i re-listened to that video and finally heard what Lindsey said before GYOW: "we didn't wanna end on such a mellow note" (meaning with NGBA i guess).

i love that statement and find it interesting, especially because FM and LB solo always like to end with a really quiet, mellow song, something that was always puzzling to me (and different from most bands) even though i've heard their explanations of gently letting audience go.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-19-2015, 10:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
No it wouldn't. Many people are NOT stupid. They'd realize it was an unexpected turn of events and that the band was winging it and they'd judge accordingly. Everyone in the audience would know that they were not getting the "regular" show and their reputations would in no way suffer, because they improvised and the result was less than polished.

In fact, the audience would likely rally around them and feel that they were part of the impromptu jamming and feel special to have witnesses such a unique event. The blunders would make it all more endearing.

Of course, I'm not surprised that the band didn't go that route. I don't fault them for not doing so, but they would have had nothing to lose if they'd tried.

Michele
Yes,Yes,Yes!I always have loved it when a singer/band messes up a little ,not if they're falling over from booze or whatever,but just human error.It makes the audience realize that they are human like everyone else and not just a star or "above" us.Maybe this band really does think they are above us,which would make a natural blunder TOTALLY unacceptable.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TsnFan4Ever View Post
I think the band could have handled this a little differently--especially having their discussion offstage and taking a couple minutes to come up with a real plan of action (Stevie and Lindsey could have played acoustic numbers from BN that would have thrilled people). But, they're human and it's obvious that they panicked. If it was our good friend who was violently ill, most of us wouldn't be thinking that clearly in that situation either and it's much easier to second guess them now than what they went through in front of thousands of people.
you have good points but this shouldn't have taken them by surprise. and they don't seem particularly panicked in that video. if they knew what he had there was no real reason for them to be either (although sensible thing would probably have been to cancel the show upfront but at the time that ship has sailed). if you took care of your kids or household members who fell ill from this kind of virus, you know how bad it can get, and also that it gets better as long as it's properly handled.

i love that they had their discussion onstage - at least the audience got something different and special! plus many bands that vary their setlist discuss onstage which set of songs to do next - it's cool to watch.

i think what many of us are saying is that they had a chance to step up and really show how great they can be in unexpected situation, and how much people would love that. but they just re-affirmed what many have been complaining about - being set-in-stone, non-spontaneous, rigid... which most fans are used to from them so they are grateful for any crumbs and fool themselves into thinking that most other bands would do even less... even when faced with the evidence that many bands reacted differently.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-20-2015, 12:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
that's what people seem to be saying. strange.

if Lindsey was out for a third of the show and i had the option of hearing some of Christine's songs that we normally wouldn't hear i would feel privileged that i witnessed that.

of course if they would unexpectedly add any Stevie's songs i'd be here complaining that i want my money back. but there's no worry about that happening cause she doesn't seems to know her words without teleprompter anyway.
You go for the jugalar Elle!I'm a huge fan of hers(despite some of my posts),but that was some funny s**t right there
Old 01-20-2015, 12:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockawayBlind View Post
Clearly, some FM fans think very little of the band's talents. Do you seriously think it would be that bad? I find this baffling.
So right.It might not be the best but it would definitely sound good (or it should anyway).Could it be that they truly cannot perform their own damn songs without a gruelling rehearsal first,but can only play them in a "controlled" environment(studio)?I think that would have given them an even better review by critics,to show their true inherent musical talents,not to mention their outstanding troubleshooting and coping abilities in the face of subpar conditions.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Whenever I have been unfortunate enough to witness someone throwing up, some odd feeling churns in my throat and the scent of their puke makes me feel like I'm gonna hurl. So just try to imagine if Mick hurled onstage and it splattered all over Lindsey's back and sputtered off the stage into the first few rows.After all, Mick is a tall man.That could have started a chain reaction of pukers throughout the arena. All those people who normally would have run to the bathrooms to purge their beer.Now that would surely be a youtube moment no one would ever forget. Chain keep us together. Indeed.
LOL.That reminds me of the movie "Stand By Me" when the kid tells the story about the pie - eating contest and the "barforama".Of course,no one would want to "stand by" Mick........
Old 01-20-2015, 02:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
you have good points but this shouldn't have taken them by surprise. and they don't seem particularly panicked in that video.
They aren't panicked at all. I mean, this is what I thought when we saw the video of their show after we knew about John's cancer. The way they were acting, I thought that they must expect him to be just fine, because I've seen these band members be emotional and they weren't emotional. I feel the same way about Mick. I thought they felt it was an interesting turn of events, but overall they looked pretty darn happy.

I've seen Stevie cry at countless shows. I've seen Lindsey peeved at a venue (Chumash) and I've seen him almost cry dedicating a song to his family members. I saw Christine do the whole last half of the Dance looking somber and not interacting with them, the way she had the first half of the tour.

Compared to the way they have acted in the past when they are ruffled on that Lincoln video, they look pretty cheery to me. At the very least, they are matter-of-fact.

Michele
Old 01-20-2015, 02:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by teedeerocks View Post
Yes,Yes,Yes!I always have loved it when a singer/band messes up a little ,not if they're falling over from booze or whatever,but just human error.It makes the audience realize that they are human like everyone else and not just a star or "above" us.
Well, just judging by the conversation the person that shot the video was having with their friend, the audience seemed game for them to continue the show without Mick.

Michele
Old 01-20-2015, 11:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
Another thought: Seeing Chris and Lindsey do that lovely "Songbird" to end the night makes me long for an acoustic Buckingham/McVie show, just the two of them, unplugged. It sounds like an impossible fantasy ... but then, I never thought I'd see Christine (the beautiful Christine) in this band again.
such a nice thought: 2 of them touring intimate theaters and re-working songs together, acoustically.

Old 01-20-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
such a nice thought: 2 of them touring intimate theaters and re-working songs together, acoustically.
That would be the ultimate. I was always surprised the B/N didn't do something after Christine retired. But Christine and Lindsey really inspire each other in a way I never thought would ever resurface. I feel blessed to see them perform again in Los Angeles.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloMonster View Post
That is not true. Speak for yourself.
What is this comment? I speak for myself, that is what people do on a message board.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientQueen View Post
What is this comment? I speak for myself, that is what people do on a message board.
Well, you DID say "I don't think that anyone would want to see the band without her in it" which sounds like you're speaking on behalf of everybody else, even though there are fans who would prefer to see the band without her in it.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-20-2015, 03:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Bickering aside. Mick will be sitting front center tonight in Grand Rapids to bang his way through the night with happiness of fans along with him and the rest of the Mac.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 01-20-2015, 04:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Lightbulb

Let me get this straight - - after 47 years of shows and concerts, this band had to cut one of them short?

(Just something to consider. )

ps - Catching them @ Nassau Coliseum on Sunday!