Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Phillipines

I only just caught up on the news about this awful hurricane. Applebucked I noticed you are in the Phillipines - I hope you, family and friends etc are ok.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonSister75 View Post
I only just caught up on the news about this awful hurricane. Applebucked I noticed you are in the Phillipines - I hope you, family and friends etc are ok.
Yes Im really worried about Applebucked too, i hope she is OK..
Old 11-11-2013, 08:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie W/Heart View Post
Yes Im really worried about Applebucked too, i hope she is OK..
Applebucked made me a new banner and sent it to me in a pm this morning. She must be doing fine, I'd guess.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Hey, it's me! Thanks for keeping me in your thoughts. Really appreciated it.

Fortunately, we live several hours away from the directly affected areas, so the worst thing that happened is my currently fluctuating internet connection. The damage is nothing like I've ever seen before. People are in desperate need of food, clothing and water, but it's hard to reach them because there's debris everywhere. Not just debris but dead bodies. Many of the towns are practically ghost towns. Unfortunately there's another typhoon coming in the same places ravaged by Haiyan/Yolanda (as we call it here). Let's keep them in our thoughts and our prayers.

Here is a link to organizations that offer assistance:
http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2...iyan-survivors

"What a f**king stupid shirt you're wearing." - Christine McVie
Old 11-11-2013, 08:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Its such a relief to hear you are ok. And I'm so sorry to hear about what's happened to your beautiful country and people Thoughts and prayers are with you, and everyone over there.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Great to hear you are OK, & stay safe..
Old 11-12-2013, 01:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by applebucked View Post
Hey, it's me! Thanks for keeping me in your thoughts. Really appreciated it.

Unfortunately there's another typhoon coming in the same places ravaged by Haiyan/Yolanda (as we call it here). Let's keep them in our thoughts and our prayers.

So glad you're alright.

And absolutely they should be in our thoughts and prayers.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Yes, Applebucked. I didn't think you lived in one of the affected areas, but it is still great to hear from you and get a more "local" take on the happenings.

Many thanks for the link.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

On Saturday night I was in a restaurant and a waitress came up to me and told me that she just wanted me to know that because of the compliment I gave her on her first day on the job(a month ago), she decided not to quit.
I was so touched.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
On Saturday night I was in a restaurant and a waitress came up to me and told me that she just wanted me to know that because of the compliment I gave her on her first day on the job(a month ago), she decided not to quit.
I was so touched.
Awww that's really lovely!

I always try to be complimentary and toe the engaging-but-not-insincerely-friendly line of interaction when it comes to service workers, but I'm so darn awkward! I can't imagine I have so positive an effect. Ohhh well.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
Awww that's really lovely!

I always try to be complimentary and toe the engaging-but-not-insincerely-friendly line of interaction when it comes to service workers, but I'm so darn awkward! I can't imagine I have so positive an effect. Ohhh well
She was such a "natural" at it. I thought she had been working there for a long time and was amazed to find out it was her first day. AND her first day as a waitress, ever.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
She was such a "natural" at it. I thought she had been working there for a long time and was amazed to find out it was her first day. AND her first day as a waitress, ever.
It's sad hear that she was just about to quit before you commented, though! I wonder how the rest of her day went? I've never worked as a server so I can only imagine the level of unpleasantry that might get thrown at you on a daily basis.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
It's sad hear that she was just about to quit before you commented, though! I wonder how the rest of her day went? I've never worked as a server so I can only imagine the level of unpleasantry that might get thrown at you on a daily basis.
I was a waiter for 17 years. The first 10 were fun. The last 7 were mostly dreaded. I haven't been in the restaurant business since 1999 and yet I still have nightmares about it every now and then. When I wake up I always thank God that I am no longer a restaurant worker, or a service worker as you like to call them.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I was a waiter for 17 years. The first 10 were fun. The last 7 were mostly dreaded. I haven't been in the restaurant business since 1999 and yet I still have nightmares about it every now and then. When I wake up I always thank God that I am no longer a restaurant worker, or a service worker as you like to call them.
I was trying to speak more generally about people in service positions of all sorts, hairdressers, shop workers, etc. But I've noticed restaurant workers have all seemed to adopt the title "server" in recent years in preference to "waiter", although I'm not entirely sure why as they sort of imply the same thing to me. But I try and respect that.

I have worked as a barista, but the dynamics of that are totally different as customers come and go relatively quickly and I don't have to keep checking up on them. I actually like the food service industry, but it's unlikely I'd be cut out for full-on table service.

What changed from the first 10 years to the last 7, out of curiosity?
Old 11-12-2013, 04:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I was a dishwasher and a busboy at a seafood restaurant in the late 1970's around FM's Tusk era.I had a great time there and got a friend a job there too.

My dads friend got me the job there.

I was forced to quit do to my parents because it ran late hours on school nights before the state laws were written for it..

They had great fringe benefits like free soda and dinner that customers that did not show up for their takeout orders.

I never when home hungry or thirsty from working at that restaurant.

A few years later I went to Mickey D's and that job did not last long there.I was to slow for the fast paced McDonald's.

In service biz .I worked at a couple TV repair shops through the 1980's and 1990's as repair and delivery person.

Other jobs were warehouse jobs.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016

Last edited by Macfanforever; 11-12-2013 at 04:35 PM..