User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-10-2017, 02:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyMI View Post
When SYW came out I had been waiting for MY first new FM album ever after having become a fan during The Dance Tour.

I was of course the first in line to buy the expanded special edition in the cardboard gatefold CD case. I was excited to hear proper official versions of my favorite demos like Running Garden, Smile at You and The Tower (goodbye baby).

What I got was great lyrics, decent vocals, and great mixing, but what I thought was a Soulless album. It was overproduced. Too much noise, no air. No organic instruments, and only what felt like robotic MIDI file instruments. Too many guitar parts, not enough piano or organ. And all the songs sounded the same way. There was not enough variation in the instrumentation and sound field. It was flat. The mastering was also flat and everything was fighting in a wall of sound way. I wanted a Fleetwood Mac album and what I got was Tango In the Night on steroids only with better Stevie presence.

I will still listen to it, but I skip more than half the Buckingham songs, and I actually like the Live Running Through The Garden from Columbus better than the album version. She really knocked that one out of the Park. A shame they only did it once.

I would like to have access to the original tapes and do a "Naked" version of SYW, strip it down to Drums, Bass, Guitar and maybe a few scant extra instruments and backing vocals. Then master it better. I bet it would be a fantastic sounding Fleetood Mac album.

I absolutely detest that whole "wall of sound" aesthetic and agree it permeates SYW and ruins a lot of it. There are a few glimmering moments-- John's bass finally gets in the forefront on Smile At You and the acoustic guitar bit at the end of it as well that reminds me of Buckingham Nicks stuff.

All of what you describe above applies to the BuckVie album. Seeing Mitchell Froom in the 'making of' video mucking around with pro tools depressed me. Christine's voice LITERALLY sounds like minnie mouse on several tracks-- and is really bad on Game of Pretend where he tweaks it to get high notes out. Listen to her voice on this album and listen to her voice on In The Meantime, where it sounds very honeyed and warm and natural. (oh and they used pro tools on that album also-- it's a question of degree and restraint)
Old 07-10-2017, 09:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
I absolutely detest that whole "wall of sound" aesthetic and agree it permeates SYW and ruins a lot of it. There are a few glimmering moments-- John's bass finally gets in the forefront on Smile At You and the acoustic guitar bit at the end of it as well that reminds me of Buckingham Nicks stuff.

All of what you describe above applies to the BuckVie album. Seeing Mitchell Froom in the 'making of' video mucking around with pro tools depressed me. Christine's voice LITERALLY sounds like minnie mouse on several tracks-- and is really bad on Game of Pretend where he tweaks it to get high notes out. Listen to her voice on this album and listen to her voice on In The Meantime, where it sounds very honeyed and warm and natural. (oh and they used pro tools on that album also-- it's a question of degree and restraint)
Interesting observation, seeing that Mitchell Froom is no where to be seen in the making of video...
Old 08-14-2017, 10:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hi friends!

If you've been on the Ledge for awhile you may recognize me, but I haven't been on here in close to 7 years. I was at Classic East and now that I've graduated college I have all the time in the world to dedicate to the Mac.

Now, I hear all of you and I respect your opinions deeply regarding the various iterations of our band and frustrations of the past years thinking we will never truly get new, full music. However, I did just want to offer some quick words on SYW from the perspective of someone who holds it in their heart dearly:

I was 8 years old when it came out. I saved up my allowance to buy it all on my own, and I remember bringing the CD to summer camp and listening on my walkman "back to front" as Stevie would say. I was obSESSED.

Laced with the ever innovative instrumental stylings of Lindsey, I enjoyed hearing the new raspiness in Stevie's voice that offered a different timbre to every album she recorded - like hearing the wealth of experience in her voice. I would revel in hearing Lindsey and Stevie sing my name in "Miranda" and pretend that it was about me (much to the protest of my mother who understood the lyrics better). I would listen to the stories of the characters in "Everybody Finds Out" and "Smile At You," close my eyes and imagine them in vignette-style film. I enjoyed the political nature of "Murrow" and "Red Rover," and I remember how deeply "Illume" touched the souls of my parents, remembering the emotions from that day, my dad driving back from NY.

This album was exciting. It made me think. It made me smile. It made me dance. I would mark up the lyrics booklet, phrases like "this coastline is glittering like a diamond snake in a black sky." Laying down on my bedroom floor, until the final heartbeat-like sounds of Goodbye Baby would end, I would press rewind and listen all over again. No, Christine isn't on it. Yes, perhaps some of the production is off. But this album is so special and I adore it with all my heart.

SN: 4/6/11
I met my angel: 3/31/09
Old 08-14-2017, 10:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So that makes three of you...

Old 08-14-2017, 10:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetAngel95 View Post
Hi friends!

If you've been on the Ledge for awhile you may recognize me, but I haven't been on here in close to 7 years. I was at Classic East and now that I've graduated college I have all the time in the world to dedicate to the Mac.
Miranda!! i remember you and was wondering from time to time whether you will come back one day. welcome back!

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 08-15-2017, 01:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetAngel95 View Post
Hi friends!

I was 8 years old when it came out. I saved up my allowance to buy it all on my own, and I remember bringing the CD to summer camp and listening on my walkman "back to front"...
Must be something in hearing music at that
age that leaves a permanent impression on
us.

The best I could say about Say You Will is
that it's better than Behind The Mask and
Time.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
Must be something in hearing music at that
age that leaves a permanent impression on
us.

The best I could say about Say You Will is
that it's better than Behind The Mask and
Time.
yeah. this.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennonfan View Post
yeah. this.
It really is true. I think I was like 10 when my older cousin moved in with us with her Rumours 8 track.

But of course that was the easiest album in the world to fall in love with, and be obsessed with.

SYW ain't no Rumours, though. I'll tell ya that!