The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-24-2003, 08:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I always wondered why they ended their shows on such a down note. I've never heard their current closing tune, but ending shows on a down note is kind of a crappy idea to me. After a show I want that exileration of "Yeah, that kicked ass!" not "Aww...how lovely. That was nice."

Songbird was cool and a trademark, but I don't think it should be their trademark to put you to sleep at the end of the show with a song that's NOT Songbird. I've never heard their current closer, but Tusk And Don't Stop worked great for the Dance, go ahead and stick to that minus Songbuzzard. Some bands keep their same encores for years and it's still cool every time you hear them.

With Lindsey so excited about their new rockin' direction he needs to be proving just how muscular, masculine and maneuverable the new Mac is during the encore.
Old 09-24-2003, 08:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Let's recall what types of songs Fleetwood Mac has closed their set with over the years (or actually since 1975):

Hypnotized
Sunny Side Of Heaven
Songbird
Imagine
Farmer's Daughter
Goodbye Baby

The reason they close with "slow" (or spacey, in the case of "Hypnotized" & "SSoH") songs is to get the audience to mellow out before they leave the show...for all intents musically commanding people to leave after the song and don't be asking for another encore.

So, yeah, songs like HAEWAFY, Crystal, etc are GREAT concert enders. But, the two songs BEFORE them better be of the "SOTM", "Blue Letter", "Rattlesnake Shake", "Don't Stop", etc., variety.
Old 09-24-2003, 09:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't know why everyone finds Goodbye Baby so darn sad. Yes, some of the lyrics are sad, but the theme of the song is hope. At least, that's what I get from it.

But I agree, Crystal would be AWESOME. But Frozen Love would be better.

Old 09-24-2003, 10:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: "Crystal" Live?

Quote:
Originally posted by celestenadia
Hello Ledgies,
A thought entered my mind today. To my knowledge the mighty Mac has
never performed "Crystal" live.
I dunno if they have or not. Weren't both "Crystal" & "I Don't Want to Know" performed by the Buckingham Nicks troupe in 1974? Didn't Hoppy Hodges spill that?

"Crystal" is really one of my favorite Fleetwood Mac tracks. It really captures that moment in time -- 1975 -- getting going with a new incarnation, where you'd think everything would be sunny & light, but "Crystal" casts a wistful, somewhat dour shadow on the vigor of a new lineup & a new road ahead.
Old 09-24-2003, 12:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

Hello Ledgies,
Thank you for all sharing. To clarify my original question though...
Why do you think they've never performed "Crystal" live?
Too challenging to reproduce live (ala "Sara")?
Too "emotional" for them to do (ala "Sara")?
I'm just curious to know if anyone has any speculations
as to just exactly why this gem has yet to see the light of day live.
Love,
celestenadia
Old 09-24-2003, 03:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by celestenadia
Hello Ledgies,
Thank you for all sharing. To clarify my original question though...
Why do you think they've never performed "Crystal" live?
Too "emotional" for them to do (ala "Sara")?
I'm just curious to know if anyone has any speculations
as to just exactly why this gem has yet to see the light of day live.
Do we know for certain that they never played it? Maybe they played it during their first year or two of touring. It's perilous to discount something like that. Nobody in this country (USA) ever thought Fleetwood Mac played "That's Enough for Me" until a tape surfaced from the Wembley shows with that song on it.

I don't think "Crystal" would be challenging to present live. In fact, just the opposite: it would be a very suitable song to perform live because it's arranged very traditionally.
Old 09-24-2003, 05:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
What would be any more challenging about Sara than any of their other songs? I think this is one of their most basic.
Old 09-24-2003, 05:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by David
Do we know for certain that they never played it? Maybe they played it during their first year or two of touring.

I could swear I saw a bootleg from early/mid 1975 that had both "Crystal" AND "Frozen Love" in the set.
Old 09-24-2003, 06:35 PM
Ledgie

I think the BN version of Crystal is the best. I think Lindsey sounds fantastic doing this rendition and by kicking it up a little higher as heard on the White album, it sort of changed the dynamic of the song and he sounded even a little unsure of himself. I also think Stevie had Lindsey sing it for a reason -- his voice just fits the song a lot better, in my opinion.

Tomara
Old 09-24-2003, 10:37 PM
Senior Ledgie

I always thought I knew what Goodbye Baby was all about, until the Jones Beach show that is. While waiting for the show to start I was standing talking to some friends right at the stage, we all had front row seats. I was just about to go take my seat and as I turned, walking towards me was a long lost, very dear friend who I have not seen in 20 freakin years. Basically I had pulled back from the friendship cuz I was just starting to come out and did not know how she would handle it (we were from Brooklyn, albeit different neighborhoods...ya know) Anyway we embraced for what seemed like forever, shedding tears that were comforting. If thats at all possible. We try and catch up and she informs me that she lost her huband in the World Trade Center attack. This made my heart just like collapse............

When Goodbye Baby started and Stevie sang those lyrics I again started to tear up thinking of my friend and her very tragic loss. This little song had more power than I had ever imagined. Don't get me wrong I always liked the song but it really hit home that night. I turned to look at my friend (she was like 7 rows directly behind me) and she was just transfixed with a smile and light tears, I got the feeling that she was being comforted by those words. My heart went directly to her at that moment, I don't think I have ever had that feeling before.

While talking after the coccert she said that song was all about that morning and she said "I'll be with him one day"

We will never lose touch again and that song should stay exactly where it is.......................
Old 09-25-2003, 11:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wink

Hello All,
Maybe "challenging" was the wrong word when I was relating to "Sara"...
Didn't Stevie say that it didn't "translate" well live as one of her/their
"excuses" for not doing it live anymore?
If somebody does know if FM HAS in fact played "Crystal" live,
I'd love to know... I can't seem to recall any old boot set lists
with "Crystal" on it...
Old 09-26-2003, 07:40 AM
joe

i could have sworn that in Mick's book he included "Crystal" as one of the songs that they did on the White album tour. I'm at work now so i can't check it.

It would be nice to hear it now. I'm really over expecting or wishing them to do some lost gems cause it just aint gonna happen.