Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-30-2005, 03:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Fear of Singing in Public

Well, my friends and I went to the LBK (live band karaoke) thing again tonight. First of all, I am lightyears away from being able to sing with a live band. I do karaoke in my spare bedroom which I turned into a vocal/make-shift recording studio. After LBK tonight, we went to a traditional karaoke place and for some reason, I still can NOT bring myself to sing in front of people I don't know. It's KILLING me! There are a million reasons why I can't, the biggest one being that I am very spoiled by my own sound system. I can't hear myself very well in these public places and it's driving me crazy because we always have a lot of fun, but I always get bugged to no end about not getting up there and singing. Instead, I sit at the table and belt out the tunes along with whoever is up there singing. I've tried doing some duets but mostly my friends just want to sing by themselves. We have very different vocal styles. I like to rock it and they're more of melodic type singers.

I guess people who do karaoke aren't too bothered by singing in public or they wouldn't do it. But I thought I'd ask anyway, does anyone have any tips for me overcoming this fear or shall I just hang it up?

Thanks for letting me voice my frustration and for any tips anyone might have.

Laura
Old 06-30-2005, 04:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertangel
Well, my friends and I went to the LBK (live band karaoke) thing again tonight. First of all, I am lightyears away from being able to sing with a live band. I do karaoke in my spare bedroom which I turned into a vocal/make-shift recording studio. After LBK tonight, we went to a traditional karaoke place and for some reason, I still can NOT bring myself to sing in front of people I don't know. It's KILLING me! There are a million reasons why I can't, the biggest one being that I am very spoiled by my own sound system. I can't hear myself very well in these public places and it's driving me crazy because we always have a lot of fun, but I always get bugged to no end about not getting up there and singing. Instead, I sit at the table and belt out the tunes along with whoever is up there singing. I've tried doing some duets but mostly my friends just want to sing by themselves. We have very different vocal styles. I like to rock it and they're more of melodic type singers.

I guess people who do karaoke aren't too bothered by singing in public or they wouldn't do it. But I thought I'd ask anyway, does anyone have any tips for me overcoming this fear or shall I just hang it up?

Thanks for letting me voice my frustration and for any tips anyone might have.

Laura
I love to sing, but I think I'd be nervous at a karaoke place. I get nervous for the band at a concert. Does anyone else or am I just weird? Do a lot of the peeps drink before they get up there? One thing that might work if you're thrown by the sound system is to wear an earplug or cover one of your ears to hear yourself better, but still be able to hear the music. You could try it in one ear first and if that's not enough, buy some lightweight ones for both ears. Try it at home first with your sound system and you can hear if it makes a difference.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:34 AM
strandinthewind
This message has been deleted by strandinthewind.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have a fear of singing in front of ANYONE. If someone asks me how a song goes, I cna't sing it. I will say it but not sing it. THe only person who hears me sing is my 3 year old.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Drink more.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 06-30-2005, 12:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertangel
My advice: keep doing it! The more you do it, the easier it'll become. Face your fear. What I've found is when I have to perform somewhere, it helps to go out beforehand and think things through -- this is what's going to happen, this is what it'll look like, and a soundcheck always helps. I guess you can't really do that with karaoke, but the more you get used to the sound system, the easier that will be. I also tell my voice students not to just practice their songs, but to practice being on stage in front of people -- getting into that mindset when you practice really helps. You perform like you practice. Imagining you're out there when you rehearse makes things a lot easier when you do go out there in front of people.

Singing should be fun -- do your best and who cares what anyone else thinks? You're having fun, that's all that really matters. It helps to have blinding lights in your face so you can't see anybody else out there, too, but... I guess we can't have everything.

Here's a question for everyone who's been on stage before: have you ever been given advice to imagine the audience naked when you're out there? All it does is make me crack up and be nervous at the same time.

a bell is not a bell until you ring it.
a song is not a song until you sing it.
love wasn't put in your heart to stay.
love isn't love until you give it away.

when life hands you lemons, stick them down your bra and make your boobs bigger
Old 06-30-2005, 12:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm a whore for karaoke. I think, when am I ever gonna see these people again, so I just go and sing. It's a lot of fun, and remember, most of the people there are either not paying attention, or are too drunk to realize someone's singing.

I'm weird, though. I'm perfectly fine singing with a full band, but I get incredibly nervous if I'm just singing with an acoustic guitar or piano. I think it's because I'm so like, crazy with my vocals. When I'm with a full band, I can go nuts and stuff, but with just one instrument, I have to hold back. I don't want to sound bad or anything, but at the same time, I really don't care. Meh. Singing can be a bitch. -_-
Old 06-30-2005, 01:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I still have this fear but have conquered it to a great degree. Mostly, have fun up there! Pick a song that rocks, one that is a part of you. Or, have someone else pick it for you so you don't take yourself so seriously. Breathe. Have fun!!!

I had the best time doing karaoke a couple of months ago singing You're So Vain. And yeah, I had a few beers in me. That didn't hurt. I like to do Soak up the Sun cuz it's just got a fun beat and such. Pick something fun. YSV is sassy so it was fun to sing too. "You walked into the party, like you were walking onto a yacht..." Ahh, Carly.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:28 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Talking

The trick is to remember who you're singing about or to. I've been on a stage before and totally clammed up. When you remember who it was you wrote the song about, I pretend they are in the audience and you forget everything else. Plus a double shot of Jack Daniels or Maker's Mark really helps before you go on.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I like Amber's suggestion - so far that's been the only thing that's worked for me

Actually not even that - I completely and totally clam up in front of people (with singing, I have not problem with public speaking etc) but singing? I just can't do it

I was in a band (the drummer) and we did The Apartment Song - it was great during practice - but when we'd perform I'd totally chicken out and no one could here me...it really used to tick off our lead singer
Old 06-30-2005, 01:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogirl04
Here's a question for everyone who's been on stage before: have you ever been given advice to imagine the audience naked when you're out there?
I don't do any of that. I just take two Xanax. It is not necessary that I be in the conscious world when I gig.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
Drink more.
What she said.

I also recommend taking an acting class.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:45 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Cool

I personally would find a girl in the audience that was into the music. I would ocasionally look at, and sing towards her, with the feeling that it was the girl I wrote the song about. Half the time you're in another world when you're onstage anyways...and that feedback from the people in the crowd just puts you on cloud nine. Sex is the only other thing I can compare it to.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I just go up and perform with the attitude that I'm probably never going to see the same people ever again, so it ends up not bothering me.

Old 06-30-2005, 01:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky
What she said.

I also recommend taking an acting class.
What sparkelah said, and the self-talk, remember "I am awesome. I rock. I'm having a blast"

Don't let any negative self-talk come into your head cuz it's all ****e!
Old 06-30-2005, 02:07 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzeQuze
What sparkelah said, and the self-talk, remember "I am awesome. I rock. I'm having a blast"

Don't let any negative self-talk come into your head cuz it's all ****e!

you are right...its all mental