The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-03-2016, 07:42 AM

Default Tampa Show Review

Review: Stevie Nicks, the Pretenders dust off 24-karat rock classics at Amalie Arena in Tampa

Right after playing her first Fleetwood Mac song of the night, Dreams, Stevie Nicks couldn't help but pat herself on the back.
"That is the only No. 1 single that Fleetwood Mac had since 1975," the singer told a crowd of just under 10,000 at Tampa's Amalie Arena on Wednesday, "proving that it is not easy to have a hit single in 1975 -- or 2016. However, it's my single, and it hangs in my living room."
Own that gold, sister; this is your tour. After three spins through Amalie with Fleetwood Mac since 2009, Nicks, 68, finally had the big stage all to herself. And to celebrate, she threw a show aimed squarely at her superfans.

For lifelong Stevie diehards, her so-called 24 Karat Gold Tour was worth its weight in you-know-what, as she dug deep into her catalog to play songs that have missed the cut on previous solo tours. Nearly half her setlist was culled her first two albums, 1981’s Bella Donna and 1983’s The Wild Heart, including some rarely if ever played live.
Nicks shared stories, too. She talked about writing songs with Tom Petty and Don Henley, talked about the Twilight franchise inspiring the dramatic piano number Moonlight (A Vampire’s Dream), and took the crowd back more than 40 years for the slow-rolling Buckingham Nicks rocker Crying In the Night. She even showed off her original cape from the artwork for Bella Donna, fanning it into the front row of fans.
Nicks twirled (a little slower than usual, but hey, aren't we all) through several Fleetwood Mac hits, too, like the tripadelic Gold Dust Woman and gypsy anthem Rihannon. (“That old witch, she just doesn’t go away. She wants to be in every single set that I do.”) And smash solo singles like Stand Back and Edge of Seventeen, with those huge, arena-filling choruses, had the crowd screaming along.
But what proved most enlightening were those deeper cuts, those country-tinged rumblers like Gold and Braid, Wild Heart and Enchanted, with its pianos and twangy guitars. Bella Donna’s hypnotic harmonies turned to something approaching gospel at the end. It was warm, rolling, glittering and harmonious, often all at once.
It’s really something to be able to pretend we’re up in my room and I’m playing demos for you,” Nicks said. “It’s so much fun for me, so fulfilling for me.
Setting the stage for Nicks’ big night was another classic rock heroine, Chrissie Hynde, and her band the Pretenders, playing their first Tampa Bay show in a decade. They made up for lost time delivering their big '80s hits: Back On The Chain Gang, Private Life, My City Was Gone, Brass In Pocket.

And while Hynde's low, aching warble brought tenderness to the sparse and lovely Hymn To Her and yearning ballad I'll Stand By You, most of the set packed surprising bite. Hynde, 65, is swimming in serious mojo these days, purring, sneering and striking angular poses while crunching out tracks from the new, Dan Auerbach-produced Alone, such as the steel-tough title track, punkish Gotta Wait and snappy Holy Commotion. Older tracks like the spunky Message of Love and driving Middle of the Road sizzled with itchy angst.
Hynde also delivered the night’s only big political moment. Several bars into Don't Get Me Wrong, she stopped the song to talk, somewhat obliquely, about Donald Trump.
"I shouldn't do this," she said to some fans down front, adding that she doesn't usually get political. "But I have three words for you tonight: Ku Klux Klan. What do you think about that?"
As with Amy Schumer last month, Amalie Arena reacted with a mix of cheers and boos.

"Oh, Tampa, you are a funny one," Hynde sighed with a laugh. After handing the mic to a fan who briefly blurted something about Trump, she added: "See, for me, that's fun. F--- it. I'm here to have a good time."
Hynde came back during Nicks' set to take over Tom Petty's vocals on Stop Draggin' My Heart Around. The two women sang to each other like the best of pals as the swampy 1981 single chugged along.
"I made it to the top!" Hynde said, beamming.
When you get there, you can pretty much do whatever you want. That's how Nicks is rolling on this tour. For both her and her fans, it's working out just fine.

-- Jay Cridlin

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/soundc...cs-at/2301201#
Old 11-03-2016, 10:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart

I would say that is exactly how the night went down!! I was psyched to see the next generation of Stevie fans, dancing around and shouting out words of love. They might not have known every song, or all the lyrics, but they all appeared to want to learn and Stevie took them to school in a big way!
Old 11-06-2016, 09:40 AM

Review: Steve Nicks, The Pretenders connect to fans with intimate, rare songs set at Amalie Arena — 11.02.16 (w/photos)

Stevie Nicks has nothing to prove. The famed 68-year old free spirited chanteuse has been singing professionally for most of her life and has deservedly earned the distinction of being one of the most successful female artists of the rock n’ roll era. Whether fronting the enormously popular band Fleetwood Mac or as a prolific solo artist, Nicks has garnered one of the most faithful and passionate fan bases of all time. She sounds like no one else in the biz and her unique look, style, fashion sense and mystical, magical aura are all part of what sets her apart from everyone else.

So, with that type of dedicated audience hanging on her every move, it’d be so easy for Nicks to hit the road between gargantuan Mac tours and wheel out a trite greatest hits package tour without much thought or effort. But this is where Nicks differs from the rest of the pack: for her current jaunt around the globe, the newly launched “24 Karat Gold Tour” (named after a recent release consisting of many previously unreleased songs and recordings), Nicks has instead opted to delve deep into the vaults to offer her most loyal an opportunity to revel in songs that even the most ardent fan has no doubt ever heard played in concert.

In bold, brave fashion, the still ravishing and elegant Nicks blew the gold dust off of many rare, obscure songs and cleverly mixed them slyly amongst some of her most well-known material Wednesday night at her recent tour stop at the cavernous Amalie Arena and kept a rapt audience engaged for over two solid hours.

Clad in her trademark black long sleeved blouse, skirt, platform boots and fingerless gloves, Nicks emerged to a roar of applause to the strains of new wave band Missing Person’s quirky 1983 hit “Destination Unknown”. Her blonde, flowing, carefully coiffed locks starkly contrasting her dark ensemble, Nicks looked the picture of stature, class and style...and she hadn’t even sung a note yet.

Opening an arena show with a mostly unknown tune is a daring move indeed; but don’t tell Stevie Nicks that. The night kicked off with “Gold and Braid”, an outtake from her 1981 debut solo album Bella Donna which sounded fresh and inspired. In fine vocal form on only the fifth show on this current tour, Stevie looked and sounded spectacular as she cruised through her catalog and offered up plenty of clever anecdotes and colorful stories in between songs in sort of an informal “Storytellers” format.

Fronting an eight piece band including two backup singers and longtime collaborator and musical director, guitarist Waddy Wachtel, Nicks lit up the hockey arena more boldly and brightly on her own than her elaborate lighting display possibly could. Framed by a massive faux movie screen backdrop which flashed images and colorful designs for the duration of the night, Nicks was in full control of the pacing and the momentum of the performance all night long.

After reading so many letters, I’ve decided on playing songs that are not often played. At my age, it’s like starting over!” she eagerly proclaimed when giving insight into the type of set list she’s opting to stick to for this run of shows. From the most casual fan to the diehards, Stevie’s set list was aimed to please just about everyone who filled the majority of the seats in the venue…and boy, did it.

Whether dipping back into the Mac catalog to deliver a note-perfect rendition of the classic “Dreams” or giving the nod to more recent material like “Annabel Lee” or “Moonlight (A Vampire’s Dream)” from her last proper studio album, 2011’s In Your Dreams, Stevie’s delivery was every bit earnest and heartfelt. She seemed gutted and reluctant to talk about the untimely loss of musical genius Prince earlier this year when reminiscing about the Purple One and the friendship she shared with him. The thick, pumping electro new wave strains of her dance hit “Stand Back” (originally recorded with uncredited keyboard work from Prince himself) were met with deafening applause and the whole place rising to its feet to dance and bop along.

The night’s personal jaw-dropping moment came, however, when Nicks decided to go all the way back the very beginning and perform a selection from the rarely acknowledged and sadly forgotten Buckingham Nicks album from 1973. Her first recording, with then romantic and musical partner Lindsey Buckingham, is somewhat of a rare gem for fans of both performers that is known as more of a conversation piece than the true pop gem it really is.

“Crying In the Night” from that album was a welcomed addition to the truly imaginative and unpredictable song list Nicks treated fans to on Wednesday. Joking about the time that’s passed since that sadly overlooked album was released during their pre-Fleetwood Mac years, Nicks reflected on that period forty-three years ago and gleefully announced “…and we’re still alive!” and she proved that all night long.

Alive and very much kicking is she, as she exquisitely displayed during a sizzling set-closing one-two punch of “Gold Dust Woman” and “Edge of Seventeen”.

References to “girl power” and motivational messages throughout the night set the stage for the final number and it’s equally engaging accompanying story. Closing the night with another of her mega-hits, “Leather and Lace”, originally a duet with onetime boyfriend Don Henley of The Eagles, Nicks recalled playing the song for Henley in the mid-70’s when she’d originally written it and being critiqued by him though many re-writes of the verses. Originally written for Country legend Waylon Jennings and his singing wife Jessi Colter, Nicks decided to take the song back from them once they’d announced their imminent divorce before getting to record the song in a display of her self-described girl power.

For Nicks, the ultimate display of that power is just she doing what she does: commanding an arena full of fans, taking them along for the ride of hits and lesser-known songs and displaying her utter showmanship and charisma the whole time. That’s the power of Stevie Nicks and that’s why she’s still held in such high regard by so many.

The same can be said for longtime badass and tough chick Chrissie Hynde and her groundbreaking late 70’s ensemble, The Pretenders. Taking the stage before Nicks (and rejoining her for a solid duet performance of “Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around” during the main set), Hynde, now sporting a graying mop of unkempt hair, sounded every bit the seductive, sultry temptress she’s become known for.

Another highly revered and vital female player in the world of rock n’ roll, Chrissie has never been one to shy away from any challenges and has overcome her fair share of lineup changes and musical paths over her lengthy career. Getting the crowd warmed up with a longer-than-usual 60-minute set, Hynde showcased plenty of Pretenders nuggets along with newer material and carried the load like a real pro. Taunting and ribbing front row patrons into some undecipherable political rants, Hynde looked and sounded relaxed and jovial throughout the set.

**** it…I’m here to have a good time!” she giggled before launching into a red hot, pounding version of “Mystery Achievement” from the band’s stellar self-titled debut album.

Staples like “Middle Of The Road” and the set-closing “Brass In Pocket” were greeted with passionate screams and ovations proving that Chrissie and company, headliners in their own right, have plenty of great material to choose from and that she still knows how to rock a crowd. In tribute to the night’s headliner, Chrissie gushed “This is for Stevie! I love her!” and, by the sound of the roar that greeted that announcement, it was clear that she wasn’t the only one in the room that felt that way.

http://www.cltampa.com/music/reviews...s-amalie-arena
Old 11-06-2016, 07:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile

Perfect! Thanks so much for sharing that!
Old 11-08-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerlongBoots View Post
I would say that is exactly how the night went down!! I was psyched to see the next generation of Stevie fans, dancing around and shouting out words of love. They might not have known every song, or all the lyrics, but they all appeared to want to learn and Stevie took them to school in a big way!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerlongBoots View Post
Perfect! Thanks so much for sharing that!
You're welcome, it's nice to share good content after all this time of drought.
If you feel like it share your personal experience as well, usually ledgies reviews are the best.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:15 AM

I found this excerpt about her perfomance of Edge of 17 during this tour, particularly Tampa:

Stevie Nicks Has Refined Her Craft With Stunning Performance Of ‘Edge Of Seventeen’! | Live 2016
Stevie Nicks Is Back And Better Than Ever!

As if I even need to convince you anymore that Stevie Nicks is without a doubt one of the best genuine carbonated lifeforms on planet freaking earth, let me say that Stevie Nicks is without a doubt one of the best genuine carbonated lifeforms on planet freaking earth. Often times she is revered as the queen of everything, but that’s only because it’s true. She is beautiful in every way. Whether it’s her music or her just being her, Stevie Nicks is just amazing, through and through.

As of right now, she is on her full length tour and is creating buzz wherever she performs. Case in point, this performance we’re about to show you. What you’re about to watch is Stevie Nicks and her band take to the stage and perform the iconic hit Edge Of Seventeen. Stevie Nicks has refined her craft and we love every minute of it!

http://societyofrock.com/stevie-nick...een-live-2016/
Old 12-30-2016, 03:57 PM

Best of 2016: Barbra Streisand, Miranda Lambert, Alabama Shakes among Tampa Bay's best concerts

Stevie Nicks and the Pretenders (Nov. 2, Amalie Arena): The moment I remembered why I needed to see Stevie live was when she stepped out onto the stage in a large white fur coat amid a projected screen of wolves. Cloaked in a hood, she barely moved, her hands caressing the mic as she crooned Moonlight (A Vampire’s Dream). Only Stevie can get away with that melodrama to a song inspired by the second Twilight movie. But the most memorable moment came when the Pretenders’ Chrissie Hynde walked out onto Stevie’s set to sing the Tom Petty/Nicks duet Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around. Just two rock goddesses having fun on a Wednesday night.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/soundc...ambert/2306415