User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-04-2005, 01:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
I mean these buses could have come and gotten these people out. They could have packed a bag if they had one, gotten their kids and gotten OUT instead of died. They had a couple or more days ( meaning officials, not the "poor" people) and they could have prepared to get these people out. Do they they think they even knew? No, but WE did...it's like they were left there to die almost.

That's what I meant. I know the average person in these lower income housing wouldn't just leave their homes. But if they had been forced to...taken to places before the storm? Was that even possible?
I agree with you.

I don't think blame for this needs to be placed on the national level but on the local level!

HUNDREDS of buses could have been used to pick these people up!
Old 09-04-2005, 01:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondsnake
But why should you give your hard earned money to someone that was just as capable of going out and earning a living?
Yes, everyone has the same opportunities available to them in this great land of ours. We can get great college educations and great jobs, whereas these lazy homeless people can just as easily run a comb through their hair, scrape the dirt out from under their fingernails, and get just as wonderful a job. Viva America!

You are aware that a vast number of the homeless do work jobs, and more than one, right?

Old 09-04-2005, 01:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brwn_eyes0511
Amen! I totally agree with you.

And people will try to make you out to be heartless because you feel this way...and that is not true at all!
I agreed with everything you said too. I'm truely not a heartless person, I just don't agree with people getting a free ride if they are capable of supporting themselves.

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 09-04-2005, 01:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I agreed with everything you said too. I'm truely not a heartless person, I just don't agree with people getting a free ride if they are capable of supporting themselves.
I hope one day you're out on the streets with no resources just so that you can live what it's like. It takes balls for you to pass judgement on these people without ever being in that situation.

Old 09-04-2005, 01:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
You are aware that a vast number of the homeless do work jobs, and more than one, right?
Actually I was not aware of that. I don't know how true that is though...

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 09-04-2005, 01:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, not to throw facts around, but the average age of the homeless is 9 years old. Around 23% of the single adult homeless population suffers from some form of severe and persistent mental illness. Of male homeless, 40% have served in the armed forces. Of the female homeless, 22% said they had left their last place of residence because of domestic violence. There is not ONE city in Ohio in which a person could afford housing while working a typical 40 hour week on minimum wage.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 09-04-2005, 01:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Actually I was not aware of that. I don't know how true that is though...
With all due respect, you don't seem to know very much at all about the plight of the homeless.

Old 09-04-2005, 02:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I hope one day you're out on the streets with no resources just so that you can live what it's like. It takes balls for you to pass judgement on these people without ever being in that situation.
Look, if people were born into this situation then I feel sorry for them. If they are mentally ill I feel sorry for them. I don't feel sorry for the people that drop out of school when they had every oppurtunity to finish their education and get a decent job.

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 09-04-2005, 02:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't feel sorry for the people that drop out of school when they had every oppurtunity to finish their education and get a decent job.
And you know of their personal circumstances how? How do you know what led to their current situation? Like I said, it takes balls to pass judgement on these people.

Old 09-04-2005, 02:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brwn_eyes0511
I agree with you.

I don't think blame for this needs to be placed on the national level but on the local level!

HUNDREDS of buses could have been used to pick these people up!
This whole "why didn't they pick them up in buses?" question is just not based in reality.

You have to realize how big New Orleans is. And, the hurricane finally settled in its path on late Thursday, apparently targeting the city. That means less than 48 hours before conditions were too bad to drive these "buses" around at all.

Think about this - how many buses have been used to transport people from centralized locations like the Superdome and NO Convention Center in the last 4 days? Hundreds, if not close to a thousand. And there are still thousands of people trapped there. So, buses going house-to-house through the streets of NO (with the weather deteriorating every second) would have been able to get people out of their homes? Did you ride a bus to school when you were young? Did it ever run on time? For that matter, do normal city buses or subways ever really run on time?

Not to mention you have to be trained to drive a large vehicle like a bus safely - it's not something you can just hop in and zoom on down the road. And also not to mention that many of the people who normally drive said buses wanted to take care of their own needs, and may have even evacuated. Who would have driven them?
Old 09-04-2005, 02:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Empathy has gone the way of the dinosaurs, Chris.
That's right my friend. If there's one thing we should all learn from this it's that you better acquire and hang on to as much money as you can in life because if anything bad ever happens to you, like those people in NOLA, the government sure as hell isn't going to look after you.
Old 09-04-2005, 02:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer
Low-paying jobs like the one you mentioned aren't enough to survive on. Have you checked the cost of rent lately? Housing is extremely unaffordable, especially in urban areas. Most of their paychecks go to rent, which leaves little money to live on. Additionally, those jobs rarely provide their employees with health insurance.
Wal Mart pays their employees just enough below the poverty level that when they hire you, they give you pamphlets on how to apply for government assistance 'cause you sure ain't gonna get any benefits from Wal Mart.
So for those of you who are down on welfare, how do you feel about a huge corporation that gets huge tax breaks from our government and imports most of its merchandise from China encouraging their employees to go on welfare because they are too god damn cheap to provide them with benefits?

Last edited by gldstwmn; 09-04-2005 at 02:39 PM..
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Look, if people were born into this situation then I feel sorry for them. If they are mentally ill I feel sorry for them. I don't feel sorry for the people that drop out of school when they had every oppurtunity to finish their education and get a decent job.
Yeah, because Lord only knows that making a few bad decisions in life basically gives society permission to treat you as less than human. I have a Master of Social Work degree from Ohio State, a job, and very low overhead, and even I find myself in a situation where I have to be extremely cautious with my finances.

The leading cause of homelessness is poverty. If a person is born into poverty, does not have educated parents, and goes to a terrible school system, where people are more focused on surviving the day than ABCs and 123s, can you honestly say with a straight face that they had a REAL opportunity for getting an education?

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 09-04-2005 at 02:21 PM..
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
And you know of their personal circumstances how? How do you know what led to their current situation? Like I said, it takes balls to pass judgement on these people.
I'm sorry if I offended you. I don't want to get into a bigger debate because, like you pointed out, I don't know that much about the issue. I still don't think a person who is capable of getting a job should receive money because they opted not to. And, yes, I do know many of them did not have that option. And those people, I do feel compassion for.

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 09-04-2005, 02:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
But why should you give your hard earned money to someone that was just as capable of going out and earning a living?

It is one thing if a person is mentally ill. I truely feel sorry for those people.
And are you qualifed to judge by just driving by someone if they are mentally ill or not Christopher?
That's like Bill Frist diagnosing Terri Schiavo from the Senate floor.