User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-16-2018, 07:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storms123 View Post
I am a shadow of my former self and I am a hell of a lot younger than these folks and I don't sing, play guitar or keyboards for a living. I think we can all acknowledge a little wear and tear on them. They've lived hard for a long long time. All of their voices have changed in some way and they can't sing the songs in the keys they were originally arranged in. I do agree though, Christine's voice was a bit weak last year during the 2 Buck McVie shows I saw. That said, loved every minute and both L&C were having an awesome time.
I don't think any one of them is a singular driving force...for me, and I know I am a bit of a broken record as I've said this a few times in other posts....it was collectively the five of them together. There is something so alluring and mesmerizing when they come together. That is what I will miss and why I am most upset
A most reasonable post, storms. I agree their voices have changed, etc. And Christine doesn't play keyboards much now, which is unfortunate but like you said, we're all older now and that's not a deal breaker for me. It just seems like some folks are rewriting history based on the recent actions of FM, and that was what I was pointing out. I like LB a lot, even had a crush on him for years starting with Mirage. When he shaved that beard, who could have known such a beautiful man lied beneath LOL! His Tusk look was a little jarring, but by Mirage, whew! And I do agree with you that the five of them together is magical. But I also loved Billy and Rick, too.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
A most reasonable post, storms. I agree their voices have changed, etc. And Christine doesn't play keyboards much now, which is unfortunate but like you said, we're all older now and that's not a deal breaker for me. It just seems like some folks are rewriting history based on the recent actions of FM, and that was what I was pointing out. I like LB a lot, even had a crush on him for years starting with Mirage. When he shaved that beard, who could have known such a beautiful man lied beneath LOL! His Tusk look was a little jarring, but by Mirage, whew! And I do agree with you that the five of them together is magical. But I also loved Billy and Rick, too.
Just for curiosity, how old are you bwboy?
Old 06-16-2018, 08:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
Just for curiosity, how old are you bwboy?
Gulp! I'm 47. My 2 brothers are 10 and 7 years older than me, so Rumours on vinyl was was exposed to me at a young age. They also had Tusk, but never listened to it lol. Mirage I never knew about, but I became a fan of SN when Rick a Little came out, which led me back to FM. In anticipation of Tango coming out, I saved money from mowing lawns to buy Mirage, FM, and all their solo stuff... basically an album at a time. When Tango was released I was beyond excited, to say the least.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Gulp! I'm 47. My 2 brothers are 10 and 7 years older than me, so Rumours on vinyl was was exposed to me at a young age. They also had Tusk, but never listened to it lol. Mirage I never knew about, but I became a fan of SN when Rick a Little came out, which led me back to FM. In anticipation of Tango coming out, I saved money from mowing lawns to buy Mirage, FM, and all their solo stuff... basically an album at a time. When Tango was released I was beyond excited, to say the least.
I see, I've always somehow thought you were younger, meaning in a positive way.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
No offence, I thought you were about 15.
Out of interest, can I ask what bwboy means?

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 06-18-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
I thought you were like 20 years old. And I was so proud you had so much FM knowledge for a kid.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
Exactly. I would rather see the five of them together than go to any solo shows.
There was only one time for me when a solo show was as beautiful as a full-Mac show: Stevie's appearance in Los Angeles in 1983. But that was a whole different atmosphere, like a Disney costume ball. Most of the time, for me, the full-Mac show was the most exciting atmosphere. That Exorcist music (Mike Oldfield) in the minutes preceding the lights-off moment was pit-of-your-stomach energy.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 06-20-2018, 05:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
No offence, I thought you were about 15.
Out of interest, can I ask what bwboy means?
That's ok. Mind if I ask how old you are, and how you became a FM fan?

Bwboy, well, it has a meaning but I might be a little embarrassed to share what it stands for here. Maybe bwBOY subconsciously makes me sound younger, along with the occasional juvenile tone of my posts LOL.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I thought you were like 20 years old. And I was so proud you had so much FM knowledge for a kid.
Jbrown, I used to think I had a lot of FM knowledge until I came to the Ledge- wrong! I am amazed at how people can mention quotes and sources, and name names, etc. I thought I was a little obsessive because I could recognize the name Judy Wong, but I still have no idea who she was or how she was connected to FM. This isn't a criticism of anyone. I became a hardcore fan at an interesting or unusual time because FM had been on hiatus from 1982-1987, so it was their individual albums that were getting attention when I was a teen. The anticipation of Tango in the Night was quite something, USA Today covered the release, MTV had FM Day on the weekend leading to the premiere of Big Love, it was awesome! And then the shock when Lindsey left, I was devastated when I read about it in USA Today. His leaving was also a big deal.

Sodascouts, David, and jbrown, I would also love to hear how you guys became FM fans... age optional, of course
Old 06-20-2018, 07:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Sodascouts, David, and jbrown, I would also love to hear how you guys became FM fans... age optional, of course
Since you asked...

I was a college student when The Dance came out. I didn't pay attention to any news about Fleetwood Mac reuniting. I didn't listen to 70s music. I couldn't have named any songs by Fleetwood Mac at the time - I was familiar with songs like "Gypsy" and "Little Lies" from the radio, but never paid attention to who sang them. I knew Stevie Nicks sang "Talk to Me" but I didn't even know she was in Fleetwood Mac. I loved "Holiday Road" from National Lampoon's but had never heard the name "Lindsey Buckingham" in my life.

All this would change in 1997. As I was driving home one day, the radio played "Landslide" and the DJ talked a bit about Fleetwood Mac and The Dance. I thought it was a pretty song. It moved me. I was intrigued. Then, as an avid VH1 watcher at the time, I saw the "Silver Springs" video and was BLOWN AWAY. I went from intrigued to fascinated. That song so was so intense, so powerful... and what was up with the guitarist and Stevie Nicks?!

I bought The Dance CD and loved it. I played it over and over. I got the Greatest Hits next. I eagerly looked out for the special on VH1 and when they finally showed it, they also played their Behind the Music and HOLY MOLY.... I was just astounded... LOL. This was some kind of band! Then they played that Rumours: Classic Albums program (they were having some kind of "Fleetwood Mac weekend") and I thought that Rumours sounded like an album I needed to have.

I bought Rumours and the White Album. I thought they were incredible. At this point, I was loving every Mac album I'd bought. I was on a budget, so it took time, but I eventually bought Tusk, Mirage, Tango, Stevie's Enchanted box set, Lindsey's CDs... by the summer of 1998, I had everything.

I checked out tour dates... NOPE. I had just missed them. Blast it! Had I missed my only chance? What if they never toured again? Little did I know!

During this time, I was finding out more and more. I having an "inquiring mind" lol. I looked in the library; I scoured the internet. There was this site, and some cool sites that are gone now like The Legacy and the Stevie Nicks Underground. There were also lots of small fansites on free servers. I was really into SnL in particular but didn't see much just on BN - there was just one pretty sparse site with the BN album in realplayer files. At the time, some friends and I were sharing copies of Photoshop and PageMill and experimenting with making websites, and I made a site for BN.

That was 1999. My journey from "Fleetwood Who?" to obsessed megafan with encyclopedic knowledge took about eighteen months!

Old 06-20-2018, 08:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Very cool, sodascouts, thanks for sharing. The Dance was obviously a big deal to FM fans but it's incredible to hear how it brought in so many new fans to FM. And even more interesting, it was Silver Springs and Landslide that caught on with the public, not any of the 4 new songs. Of course, SS was a song only hardcore FM fans knew existed before, but even the way Landslide caught on... a song from 1975 being played on the radio in 1996, who would have thought?

Loved hearing how you knew songs like Holiday Road and Talk to Me, without realizing the singers were also members of FM. FM fans are very fortunate to have access to the wealth of material out there, between the band and all the solo albums
Old 06-20-2018, 08:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That's amazing Nancy, I always thought you had been a fan forever, you always knew so much and so many details too That's a compliment btw.
I wasn't asked but want to tell anyway

Kate Bush's The Kick Inside came out in '78 and I was a goner over her music, hers and Siouxsie and the Banshees, then I met a boyfriend who was big time into Fleetwood mac. I thought the white album and Rumours was way too tame, dull, really, and we'd always argue our preferences vehemently. We did break up, one of those teenage things, I could not respect him any longer, vilifying Kate and Siouxsie as he did
But then Tusk came out. And that was some music I could get behind! I then finally became aware of the background story of the musicians too, and for me, Stevie Nick's best work is on that record, and on Bella Donna. Lindsey hooked me from then on, and I have all his solo records. Mirage I found Meh, again. So it started waning after that. But the Tusk years and that Tusk tour, they were awesome then.

I also still adore Kate Bush to this day.

Old 06-20-2018, 08:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

What is most devastating for me, as someone who became a fan in 1997 at the age of 9 and never saw them live until 2004, is that I had to skip the OWTS Tour due to financial limitations so I will now likely never see the 5 of them together live ever. Other than that I've seen the Mac twice and Stevie and Lindsey solo once each.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Since you asked...

I was a college student when The Dance came out. I didn't pay attention to any news about Fleetwood Mac reuniting. I didn't listen to 70s music. I couldn't have named any songs by Fleetwood Mac at the time - I was familiar with songs like "Gypsy" and "Little Lies" from the radio, but never paid attention to who sang them. I knew Stevie Nicks sang "Talk to Me" but I didn't even know she was in Fleetwood Mac. I loved "Holiday Road" from National Lampoon's but had never heard the name "Lindsey Buckingham" in my life.

All this would change in 1997. As I was driving home one day, the radio played "Landslide" and the DJ talked a bit about Fleetwood Mac and The Dance. I thought it was a pretty song. It moved me. I was intrigued. Then, as an avid VH1 watcher at the time, I saw the "Silver Springs" video and was BLOWN AWAY. I went from intrigued to fascinated. That song so was so intense, so powerful... and what was up with the guitarist and Stevie Nicks?!

I bought The Dance CD and loved it. I played it over and over. I got the Greatest Hits next. I eagerly looked out for the special on VH1 and when they finally showed it, they also played their Behind the Music and HOLY MOLY.... I was just astounded... LOL. This was some kind of band! Then they played that Rumours: Classic Albums program (they were having some kind of "Fleetwood Mac weekend") and I thought that Rumours sounded like an album I needed to have.

I bought Rumours and the White Album. I thought they were incredible. At this point, I was loving every Mac album I'd bought. I was on a budget, so it took time, but I eventually bought Tusk, Mirage, Tango, Stevie's Enchanted box set, Lindsey's CDs... by the summer of 1998, I had everything.

I checked out tour dates... NOPE. I had just missed them. Blast it! Had I missed my only chance? What if they never toured again? Little did I know!

During this time, I was finding out more and more. I having an "inquiring mind" lol. I looked in the library; I scoured the internet. There was this site, and some cool sites that are gone now like The Legacy and the Stevie Nicks Underground. There were also lots of small fansites on free servers. I was really into SnL in particular but didn't see much just on BN - there was just one pretty sparse site with the BN album in realplayer files. At the time, some friends and I were sharing copies of Photoshop and PageMill and experimenting with making websites, and I made a site for BN.

That was 1999. My journey from "Fleetwood Who?" to obsessed megafan with encyclopedic knowledge took about eighteen months!

I love reading stuff like this and learning about how folks became "hooked" Regardless of the drama the band puts forth, we will always have this Thank you all
Old 06-20-2018, 10:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Since you asked...

Love hearing stories like this, thank you for sharing!