The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-14-2019, 12:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes she did say that—and I don’t believe her.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:35 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Yes she did say that—and I don’t believe her.
Don´t believe her either. To me it totally sounds like she´s singing about someone she´s in a relationship with and it all fits with what she had with John I think. Remember she once said that "You make loving fun" was about her dog, and we all know it wasn´t. So I definately don´t believe her when she says "Over my head" is about Lindsey. Just the thought of that is weird, and totally over MY head!
Old 01-14-2019, 04:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

As has been mentioned Over My Head was supposedly written not long after the Heroes... tour. She probably didn't know Lindsey when it was initially roughed out or if she did then it was just after LB+SN joined the band.

'But every day you hurt my pride'
That doesn't sound like it would be about somebody you've only known for a short time. It does sound like its about a (sometimes) abusive, alcoholic spouse towards the end of a relationship.

'Your mood is like a circus wheel, you're changing all the time. Sometimes I cant help but feel, that I'm wasting all of my time'.
That also sounds like its directed towards a (sometimes) abusive, alcoholic spouse towards the end of a relationship.

Christine might have alluded to the song being written about Lindsey.... but it just wasn't. Either she was genuinely confusing the song with another song (and I don't doubt she could have written something else about him later on) or she's just flat out getting senile.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 01-15-2019, 12:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post

Christine might have alluded to the song being written about Lindsey.... but it just wasn't. Either she was genuinely confusing the song with another song (and I don't doubt she could have written something else about him later on) or she's just flat out getting senile.
I think she was just trying to create a touch of intrigue about a song that is forty some odd years old.

Didn't she say this right before her album release with LB? It could have been a ploy to create a tension or narrative that sparked interest. Either way, I ain't buying it. The song is wonderful as a plainspoken love song. The subtext she tried to create for it decades later is lame. But not in the league of saying Landslide was written for Katrina. Or Hillary's election.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I think she was just trying to create a touch of intrigue about a song that is forty some odd years old.

Didn't she say this right before her album release with LB? It could have been a ploy to create a tension or narrative that sparked interest. Either way, I ain't buying it. The song is wonderful as a plainspoken love song. The subtext she tried to create for it decades later is lame. But not in the league of saying Landslide was written for Katrina. Or Hillary's election.

That was my first reaction but apparently it was quoted from an interview in 2014 so that's a bit before Buckingham McVie.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 01-16-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
That was my first reaction but apparently it was quoted from an interview in 2014 so that's a bit before Buckingham McVie.
It was BBC in 2013/2014 aired before it was public she was joining the band. It was a great interview with everyone but John.

She does talk about how enamored she was w/ Lindsey when she met him.

I believe her premise that it was loosely based around him. She's always been one to change words to make a song flow better rather than have lyrics to match the exact premise she started writing about. Her songs morph.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Thank you!

I’m still not buying the song is really inspred by Lindsey.

Last edited by aleuzzi; 01-17-2019 at 02:00 PM..
Old 01-16-2019, 10:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue View Post
Wasn’t Christine just saying ....phwoa you’re gorgeous....but out of reach.

Imagining Lindsey and her, but hey that’s over my head....
I thought it was more that she thought he was gorgeous, but not a warm person. That he was very serious, all business...basically Danny Kirwan Lite.

THE Stephen Hopkins