Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-02-2020, 07:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Straight Back SS

So...I finally updated my 5.1 stereo system today. The first track I listened to was Straight Back from Mirage. OMG! I love these discs. I so wish there was some pre Buck/Nicks albums released on the 5.1 surround sound format. It takes these masterpiece albums to a higher level.
Old 02-02-2020, 08:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Straight Back has a lot of depth musically. Chris and Lindsey give their classic performance of playing around each other. Also Chris backing Stevie "like a wolf on the run" is just incredible.
Old 02-02-2020, 08:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Straight Back has a lot of depth musically. Chris and Lindsey give their classic performance of playing around each other. Also Chris backing Stevie "like a wolf on the run" is just incredible.
Yes..yes..yes...
Old 02-05-2020, 07:56 AM

If there was ever a McVie/Nicks collaboration, this was it.
Old 02-05-2020, 02:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I hear Lindsey and Christine on wordless vocals. But where the voice is doubled during the second verse, is that Christine or a second Stevie? (Or is it all three singers?)

Where the voice is doubled during the bridge, it's definitely Stevie.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
I hear Lindsey and Christine on wordless vocals. But where the voice is doubled during the second verse, is that Christine or a second Stevie? (Or is it all three singers?)

Where the voice is doubled during the bridge, it's definitely Stevie.
I hear mostly Stevie on all harmony vocals with Christine on the SS version.
Old 02-06-2020, 01:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I have Rumours and SYW in 5.1, what others have they done? Who was the engineer on them? I feel like I’ve missed something again.
Old 02-06-2020, 06:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertangel View Post
I have Rumours and SYW in 5.1, what others have they done? Who was the engineer on them? I feel like I’ve missed something again.

White album, Tusk and Mirage versions were released with the box set collection.
Old 02-08-2020, 06:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks. I see the engineers look to be Rhino staff? How would you say the mixing and mastering came out? Not sure I trust anyone but Ken or Richard on something like that.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertangel View Post
Thanks. I see the engineers look to be Rhino staff? How would you say the mixing and mastering came out? Not sure I trust anyone but Ken or Richard on something like that.
Well, I think these packagings are Rhino's specialty. I doubt they would see the light of day without Rhino producing them.
Old 02-08-2020, 08:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I guess I could be a bit more specific... I scooped up How the West Was Won and Pet Sounds in DVD-a from Best Buy when they were in the blow out bin years ago. After having bought Rumours and SYW in the same format, I had enough material to compare sonic qualities. My #1 is Rumours just due to isolation of tracks amongst the collection of speakers. #2 SYW only because thereÂ’s not as much separation. Pet Sounds #3 due to not much separation at all and #4 Led Zep due to no separation. 3 and 4 were engineered by label staff from what I can tell. Obviously I enjoy hearing multi- track separation, the more the better. I have amassed quite a collection of various recordings of Mac material over the years, much of which hasnÂ’t seen the light of day in a long time. I have vowed not to spend any more hard earned money on these recordings unless I can be assured they will be pleasing to my particular taste. The last I bought were the Nicks remasters, BD and WH... which while not 5.1, still a bit underwhelming to me... thatÂ’s when I took the vow.

If these Rhino Mac 5.1s have killer multi-track separation amongst many 5.1 speakers, then I would buy. Wonder if they have any demo cut down discs up for grabs.