User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-10-2005, 01:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexbt
Maybe that's even better. I'm not much of a fan of Roland products. If anything, I'd get a Korg BX-3 or CX-3, though the NEW Hammond B3 line is beautiful. Just so darned expensive! On eBay they're even more pricey.
I think the Roland actually gets better reviews than the Korg. I think he told me the VK-8 has a few features that the Vk-7 doesn't have(duh).
Old 01-10-2005, 06:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
David will be the only one to know this answer!
David doesn't even know. I don't think Christine has ever provided drawbar settings to the press. However, I've never seen the May 1977 Hit Parader article. Anyone else have that? She talks a bit about her setup for the 1977 tour in that article.

As somebody pointed out from the Keyboard article a few years later, Chris said she moves her drawbars around spontaneously, & doesn't use the presets on the B3. She probably pulls out more stops in bigger halls or when the amplification is drowning her out or when the sound tech is asleep at the switch.

Just going by what I hear, on a song like "Go Your Own Way," I hear a full-bodied presence but without much "whistle" -- so something like 88 8888 000 or 88 8888 800. Lindsey & Mick & John are all blasting away, especially during the chorus & the lead solo out, so Chris wants to be heard. Chris says in Keyboard that she sometimes likes to throw in some percussion, but I don't often hear much percussion or even key click in her playing, even in something that she does a bit more twiddling with, like the "Spare Me a Little" instrumental break. She palms a little bit -- she's really sort of amateurish with the palming (she's nowhere near Benmont Tench's level), but she throws in a glissando occasionally, like during the climax of a big song like GYOW or "Sisters." I think she also palms a gliss on that recording we all have of "I've Been Loving You Too Long."

She probably uses softer settings for songs like "Oh Daddy" or "Why." If you set your drawbars to something like 88 8000 000 or 88 8400 000, & add a little vibrato & chorus, you can get that nice, ballad-like sound that jazz players favor for more texture. I play "Oh Daddy" on my clone with 88 8000 000, & I really like it that way. You can pull out the stops part way up at the top for a little more chant & twitter.

Of course, you also use your Leslie simulator (or whatever you happen to have that provides rotary speaker). We can all hear clearly when Chris switches from "slow" to "fast." Just follow your ear when you play your live Fleetwood tapes.

The other thing that helps one mimic Chris is using the swell pedal (or whatever you have that duplicates that). She swells up & down again quite nicely -- for example, listen to how she swells down in both Leslie speed & volume after her little instrumental in "Spare Me a Little" & goes back to the verse in just a matter of a second or two.

Somebody needs to use the "Ask Christine" thing over on her site, or slow-motion through the parts in Landover '75 where the camera gets in behind her from above. You may be able to spot some settings there.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 01-10-2005, 06:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexbt
Maybe that's even better. I'm not much of a fan of Roland products. If anything, I'd get a Korg BX-3 or CX-3, though the NEW Hammond B3 line is beautiful. Just so darned expensive! On eBay they're even more pricey.
Those are all excellent machines. A very recent issue of Keyboard mag judges all the current clones, & they all do really well.

I use the Nord Electro to do my organ voicings (which always rates super high in the judgings). I absolutely love it. It's beautifully responsive & has a lot of character. Of course, any of these clones sounds three or five times better going through a Leslie 122 or 147.

One of the best things about the Electro is the fact that it weighs 18 pounds, & it also gives you the best electromechanical piano sounds you can find in a single unit.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 01-11-2005, 02:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

"Somebody needs to use the "Ask Christine" thing over on her site."

That actually finished in around mid September.

And the main question should be - will we ever see the answers?

Gail
Old 01-11-2005, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh
"Somebody needs to use the "Ask Christine" thing over on her site."

That actually finished in around mid September.

Gail

it should be anytime now
Old 01-12-2005, 01:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh

Gail
This is kind of like when we were waiting for her to release In The Meantime. That took about 2 years.
Old 01-15-2005, 02:05 PM
Senior Ledgie

Thanks so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Just going by what I hear, on a song like "Go Your Own Way," I hear a full-bodied presence but without much "whistle" -- so something like 88 8888 000 or 88 8888 800. Lindsey & Mick & John are all blasting away, especially during the chorus & the lead solo out, so Chris wants to be heard. Chris says in Keyboard that she sometimes likes to throw in some percussion, but I don't often hear much percussion or even key click in her playing, even in something that she does a bit more twiddling with, like the "Spare Me a Little" instrumental break. She palms a little bit -- she's really sort of amateurish with the palming (she's nowhere near Benmont Tench's level), but she throws in a glissando occasionally, like during the climax of a big song like GYOW or "Sisters." I think she also palms a gliss on that recording we all have of "I've Been Loving You Too Long."
That does look about right. From what I can see on the DVD, most of the upper manual drawbars are up full, but the 9th drawbar is always at 0 or 1. 1&2 are always at 7 or 8. The 8th drawbar appears to be around 4. I just did 88 8888 840 and it sounded very close.

However, I don't have any clue what she does with her left hand on the lower manual.It's usually easier to see those drawbars, but I have been unable to figure out how to set up B4 with the lower manual correctly.
(I would assume she's using them, because I can see she's doing something with her left hand, and since she has a Slow/Fast Footswitch she's not adjusting the Leslie speed.

I haven't heard her gliss very often. I'll listen for that next time.

Quote:
She probably uses softer settings for songs like "Oh Daddy" or "Why." If you set your drawbars to something like 88 8000 000 or 88 8400 000, & add a little vibrato & chorus, you can get that nice, ballad-like sound that jazz players favor for more texture. I play "Oh Daddy" on my clone with 88 8000 000, & I really like it that way. You can pull out the stops part way up at the top for a little more chant & twitter.
That's useful to know!

Quote:
The other thing that helps one mimic Chris is using the swell pedal (or whatever you have that duplicates that). She swells up & down again quite nicely -- for example, listen to how she swells down in both Leslie speed & volume after her little instrumental in "Spare Me a Little" & goes back to the verse in just a matter of a second or two.
The only thing I've heard her swell on is Over My Head. I don't know some of the more obscure tunes.

Quote:
Somebody needs to use the "Ask Christine" thing over on her site, or slow-motion through the parts in Landover '75 where the camera gets in behind her from above. You may be able to spot some settings there.
I don't believe I've seen Landover '75. Where can I find it?