The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-12-2004, 05:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I imagine Fox has a new reality TV series in the works, one where a politician has to choose from among a group of interns. "Betty Sue, will you accept this cigar?"
Every day the news just classes up our society, and vice versa.

- Jake
Old 02-12-2004, 06:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
I don't think Bush would have much to gain from smearing Kerry so early in the game.
Unless they're trying to divert attention from this:

http://www.memphisflyer.com/content....834&onthefly=1

BUSH A NO-SHOW AT ALABAMA BASE, SAYS MEMPHIAN
FedEx Pilot Bob Mintz, backed up by a Carolina colleague, recalls no Dubya at Dannelly AFB in 1972.
JACKSON BAKER | 2/13/2004

Print this Article
Copyright 2004 The Memphis Flyer

MEMPHIS – Two members of the Air National Guard unit that President George W. Bush allegedly served with as a young Guard flyer in 1972 had been told to expect him and were on the lookout for him. He never showed, however; of that both Bob Mintz and Paul Bishop are certain.

The question of Bush’s presence in 1972 at Dannelly Air National Guard base in Montgomery, Alabama – or the lack of it – has become an issue in the 2004 presidential campaign.

Recalls Memphian Mintz, now 63: “I remember that I heard someone was coming to drill with us from Texas. And it was implied that it was somebody with political influence. I was a young bachelor then. I was looking for somebody to prowl around with.” But, says Mintz, that “somebody” -- better known to the world now as the president of the United States -- never showed up at Dannelly in 1972. Nor in 1973, nor at any time that Mintz, a FedEx pilot now and an Eastern Airlines pilot then, when he was a reserve first lieutenant at Dannelly, can remember.

“And I was looking for him,” repeated Mintz, who said that he assumed that Bush “changed his mind and went somewhere else” to do his substitute drill. It was not “somewhere else,” however, but the 187th Air National Guard Tactical squadron at Dannelly to which the young Texas flyer had requested transfer from his regular Texas unit – the reason being Bush’s wish to work in Alabama on the ultimately unsuccessful U.S. Senate campaign of family friend Winton "Red" Blount.

It is the 187th, Mintz’s unit, which was cited, during the 2000 presidential campaign, as the place where Bush completed his military obligation. And it is the 187th that the White House continues to contend that Bush belonged to – as recently as this week, when presidential spokesman Scott McClellan released payroll records and, later, evidence suggesting that Bush’s dental records might be on file at Dannelly.

“There’s no way we wouldn’t have noticed a strange rooster in the henhouse, especially since we were looking for him,” insists Mintz, who has pored over documents relating to the matter now making their way around the Internet. One of these is a piece of correspondence addressed to the 187th’s commanding officer, then Lt. Col. William Turnipseed, concerning Bush’s redeployment.

Mintz remembers a good deal of base scuttlebutt at the time about the letter, which clearly identifies Bush as the transferring party. “It couldn’t be anybody else. No one ever did that again, as far as I know.” In any case, he is certain that nobody else in that time frame, 1972-73, requested such a transfer into Dannelly.

And in another paper...
http://www.al.com/news/birminghamnew...7178284961.xml

Bush met military obligation, aide says

02/11/04

MARY ORNDORFF and BRETT J. BLACKLEDGE
News staff writers

A White House spokesman said Tuesday that President Bush worked enough days as a member of the Texas Air National Guard in 1972 and 1973 to fulfill his annual training requirements, but new payroll records he released also show a five-month gap while Bush was assigned to a small reserve unit in Montgomery.

Bush did not receive military pay from May to September of 1972, according to the documents, and the former commander of the 9921st Air Reserve Squadron said Tuesday that Bush didn't show up during those months.

"He never did come to my squad," said retired Lt. Col. Reese Bricken, who lives in Montgomery. "He was never at my unit."

Bricken reviewed documents Tuesday showing Bush's transfer request to his squadron and his response to the request. He said he remembered sending approval back for him to serve in the small unit, made up of reserve members who met weekly.

"He was looking for a place to hang his hat, but he never came by," Bricken said.
Old 02-12-2004, 06:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by darklinensuit
"Betty Sue, will you accept this cigar?"
"Yes mr. politician, sir....and will you wear my beret?"
Old 02-12-2004, 07:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca

The thing is, I'm not so sure it will work in favor of the Republicans. Clinton retained a lot of popularity even after it was proved he had been serviced by an intern.
Honestly, that's what I was thinking, too. If this does turn out to be true, it will hurt him, but I don't think it will necessarily make him unelectable.

Old 02-12-2004, 07:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by sodascouts
Honestly, that's what I was thinking, too. If this does turn out to be true, it will hurt him, but I don't think it will necessarily make him unelectable.
I mean with Clinton, it was not that he had an affair. It was that he did it in the Oval office, kept heads of state waiting while he and ML were goin' at it, and then he lied under oath. So, if Kerry did her in a Motel 6, who cares

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 02-12-2004, 07:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by strandinthewind
I mean with Clinton, it was not that he had an affair. It was that he did it in the Oval office, kept heads of state waiting while he and ML were goin' at it, and then he lied under oath. So, if Kerry did her in a Motel 6, who cares
I care! If he was any kind of man, he woulda sprung for the Four Seasons!

Old 02-12-2004, 07:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by dissention
I care! If he was any kind of man, he woulda sprung for the Four Seasons!
AND you'd be worth it - apparently Sparky was as he suggested earlier ( just joking Sparky )

Old 02-12-2004, 07:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
AND you'd be worth it - apparently Sparky was as he suggested earlier ( just joking Sparky )

I'd take a tag team of Saddam and Coultergeist if I was promised the Four Seasons. If I was promised room service, I'd take on Hannity and (gulp) Greta Van Susteren, too.

Old 02-12-2004, 07:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, Coultergeist certainly would not eat anything from the food tray - perhaps the food trough, but not the tray Then, she could stamp her foot to indicate her age a la Princess Anne.

BTW - I LOVE Greta Van Susteren

Old 02-12-2004, 08:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Then, she could stamp her foot to indicate her age a la Princess Anne.

Who was the comedian that used to tell that joke? Was it Joan Rivers? (There was a time when she was actually intentionally funny, if anyone doesn't remember that far back!)

I always remember getting a good chuckle out of that one.
Old 02-12-2004, 08:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Stew

Who was the comedian that used to tell that joke? Was it Joan Rivers? (There was a time when she was actually intentionally funny, if anyone doesn't remember that far back!)

I always remember getting a good chuckle out of that one.
I think it was Auntie Joan. I still love her and think she is so funny, but others do not

Old 02-12-2004, 08:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Aw poor Princess Anne

Hmm she was the only normal, likeable royal in my book, until her crazy, rabid dogs started biting everything in site.
Old 02-12-2004, 08:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I think it was Auntie Joan. I still love her and think she is so funny, but others do not
Oh, I still think she's funny... just not intentionally!

Sometimes when I see her, I actually worry about her.
Perhaps it's all just a new act though.
Old 02-12-2004, 08:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by DownOnRodeo
Aw poor Princess Anne

Hmm she was the only normal, likeable royal in my book....
Yeah, Princess Anne always seemed pretty cool to me.

I think the joke was mainly said because of all the time she spent with her horses. Although I guess it may have also been an appearance dig.
Old 02-12-2004, 08:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Stew
Oh, I still think she's funny... just not intentionally!

Sometimes when I see her, I actually worry about her.
Perhaps it's all just a new act though.
One more face lift and she'll have a goatee