Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-04-2017, 11:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdm6789 View Post
Songs where you can clearly hear all three of them on the harmonies:

Did I miss any? Oddly enough, it seems that the songs with the best three part harmonies are Stevie songs.
I think their version of ' Why' from the Midnight Special (and the '75 bootlegs) has the best harmonies. Which is a Christine song :-)
Old 05-04-2017, 05:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Gotta say thanks to all the folks out there giving "Honey Hi" some love and respect. I feel that song often gets a lot of hate from this forum...but yes, it truly is a gem and one of my favorites. The DVD 5.1 surround mix from the Deluxe Edition is absolutely SUBLIME and sheer PERFECTION in the way the three part harmony is mixed!!!

Also I agree with whoever pointed out the three part harmony on the Midnight Special version of "Why"! I get goosebumps every time I watch it and hear that vocal blend, and laugh when Christine sings "Oh yeah" at the end but then Stevie has to "have the last word" with a longer and more drawn out "Yeeeeeaaahhh..."

"Farmer's Daughter", "Say You Love Me", "Dreams", "Never Forget"...so many great 3 part vocals from their three albums in the seventies. Not much of that on "Mirage" or "Tango", sadly. But then, I'd venture to say that after the solo projects started, they really only got back together to make Fleetwood Mac albums for the sake of making Fleetwood Mac albums ($$$) and some of the vigor, excitement and "artistry" was gone in regards to them coming together as five different people with a goal to make something special. Just my opinion and two cents.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes Honey Hi is one of my faves...just gorgeous. I never understood the hate on this board for it
Old 05-05-2017, 12:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
Yes Honey Hi is one of my faves...just gorgeous. I never understood the hate on this board for it
I don't hate it, but it's just a little too sugary for me. Although I do love the keyboard work on it.

Never Forget is a much better song, IMO.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:10 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I don't hate it, but it's just a little too sugary for me. Although I do love the keyboard work on it.

Never Forget is a much better song, IMO.
I agree. While the instrumentation and vocals are nice, it's just sort of fluffy, as if it doesn't have much substance. I'd compare it to Everywhere or Feel About You in that regard. It's not awful but I'd be lying if I said I didn't skip it most of the time. That's just me.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SorcererJP View Post
I think their version of ' Why' from the Midnight Special (and the '75 bootlegs) has the best harmonies. Which is a Christine song :-)
^
Old 05-07-2017, 01:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
"Honey Hi" is perhaps one of the most underrated moments in Fleetwood Mac history. It is, hands down, the greatest three part harmony that the band has ever recorded.
Yes.

I still remember listening to Tusk on vinyl the day it was released and being pretty stunned.
Honey Hi -- amazing harmonies. Beautiful Child too.
I loved Rumours, obviously, but Tusk got under my skin in a way that I wasn't prepared for.
It's the reason I've remained and am still a Fleetwood Mac fan.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:45 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlookdown View Post
Yes.

I still remember listening to Tusk on vinyl the day it was released and being pretty stunned.
Honey Hi -- amazing harmonies. Beautiful Child too.
I loved Rumours, obviously, but Tusk got under my skin in a way that I wasn't prepared for.
It's the reason I've remained and am still a Fleetwood Mac fan.
Man I wish I could say the same. I had the OPPOSITE experience when I first listened to Tusk. As with Rock a Little I had a stunned reaction for a completely different reason. Gradually I warmed up to Stevie's songs, then Christine's. After buying the vinyl and forcing myself to listen to Lindsey's I started to really appreciate how bizarre they were.

Now I think Tusk ranks as one of their best albums for the exact reasons that I initially hated it. As you said, and while I'm not a fan of it, Honey Hi's instrumentation and harmonies make it so much more effective than an equally fluffy song like Everywhere.

(Still warming to Rock a Little though... ever so slowly...)

"The face of a pretty girl x1,000,000" -Isn't It Midnight (The song that got me into Christine McVie)

"The sun is bright, but not too bright to see. When the darkness comes you've got to fly into the light." -Doing What I Can (The song that got me into Lindsey Buckingham)

"I can still hear you saying you would never break the chain" -The Chain (The song that got me into Fleetwood Mac)

Last edited by Netter75; 05-08-2017 at 11:52 PM..
Old 05-10-2017, 04:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

And Over My Head was sooo good. A portent of things to come from those 5. But maybe it was Stevie's background more than the trio harmony on that song.

Michele
Old 05-10-2017, 08:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

ooh... i forgot about the "Never going back again" acoustic duet version that's on the Deluxe Rumours. When Stevie, Chris and Linds share the verses it's unlike any other song. they should have done that more!