User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
either way, if you've been reading, he's been very clear, re-iterating several times, that if you want to know about the technical side of making music - Ken is your man. but if you want to know more about the life of the band, behind the scenes and more personal stuff, Richard's blog is a place for you.

after all, Richard was Stevie's and Lindsey's (and then only Lindsey's) roommate for at least half a decade if not longer, from the time they were complete unknows through the time they became rock gods and millionaires. he was paying their rent when they were dirt poor (that contradicts Stevie's long-standing story a bit, doesn't it?). he was Lindsey's best friend for years. he was self-admitted jack-of-all-trades for the band including shoulder to cry on and relationship counselor. he was not just a technical hired hand.
He was in fact producer on almost a half dozen Mac albums and on several of Lindsey's solo albums, and he is an engineer by training, so it's a little disingenuous of him or us to think that he's not technically knowledgeable or artistically knowledgeable because he was intimately involved in the creative decisions about Mac music-- and it would be interesting to hear his take on all that. However he may be more comfortable talking about the other stuff, and that's his prerogative, as has been said, it's his blog.

But it is curious that he just doesn't answer questions about OOTC. It's a GREAT album, people love it, and he was coproducer and even cowriter on some songs. It does kinda stick out like a sore thumb that he doesn't remark on it in any way. Again, totally his call but I don't think it's unfair to note it or comment on it.

It will be curious to see how that might change over time…

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 08-25-2014 at 08:13 PM.. Reason: because for some reason I can't type today
Old 08-25-2014, 08:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Richard says feels honored to be treated like a 6th member of the band and he is not just a technical hired hand. Obviously he was emotionally more than that, having lived with Lindsey and Stevie and essentially lived with ALL of them during the production of the various albums. And he responds just like a member of the band. I noticed every time anyone questioned him about any of the books written about the band, he's never read them. That's a company line. I suspect they have all read the books (whether or not they paid for them is another story). I think his answers are careful. He does "walk a thin line." Unlike Bob Welch, who gave his unvarnished answers to "the punters" without regard to any band members feelings, perhaps Richard may have another role to play with this band in the future. Stranger things have happened.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Richard says feels honored to be treated like a 6th member of the band and he is not just a technical hired hand. Obviously he was emotionally more than that, having lived with Lindsey and Stevie and essentially lived with ALL of them during the production of the various albums. And he responds just like a member of the band. I noticed every time anyone questioned him about any of the books written about the band, he's never read them. That's a company line. I suspect they have all read the books (whether or not they paid for them is another story). I think his answers are careful. He does "walk a thin line." Unlike Bob Welch, who gave his unvarnished answers to "the punters" without regard to any band members feelings, perhaps Richard may have another role to play with this band in the future. Stranger things have happened.
^Yes. I've mentioned before I think he may be trying to reconnect with the band in some working capacity and seems to be answering in band-approved ways. We just ought take the blog for what it is. The photos however are really great and of course never before seen anywhere which makes it pretty cool.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
^Yes. I've mentioned before I think he may be trying to reconnect with the band in some working capacity and seems to be answering in band-approved ways. We just ought take the blog for what it is. The photos however are really great and of course never before seen anywhere which makes it pretty cool.

And I agree with you completely. It is what it is. The pics are amazing! There is no way he didn't read Ken's book. He worked side by side with him. There's no way he didn't read the Harris book or Mick's either. (okay, someone read it TO him. hahaha!) It's still great to get to hear from him.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
And I agree with you completely. It is what it is. The pics are amazing! There is no way he didn't read Ken's book. He worked side by side with him. There's no way he didn't read the Harris book or Mick's either. (okay, someone read it TO him. hahaha!) It's still great to get to hear from him.
Richard actually wrote some parts of Mick's book. the parts that i personally loved reading - like the one about their first tour supporting the white album, when they were driving their own equipment in ratty old cars, windows down, listening to the music, loud. Mick says in his book that he was using Richard's descriptions since he could never write that vividly himself.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 08-25-2014, 08:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
But it is curious that he just doesn't answer questions about OOTC. It's a GREAT album, people love it, and he was coproducer and even cowriter on some songs. It does kinda stick out like a sore thumb that he doesn't remark on it in any way. Again, totally his call but I don't think it's unfair to note it or comment on it.

It will be curious to see how that might change over time…
if you read the rest of what i wrote (as well as what Nicole wrote) you'd have your answer:

because he is probably not asked nearly often enough about stuff like OOTC and Lindsey's solo work!! if we are curious and want certain answers, seems like we need to keep asking him for our questions to get through and he'll eventually answer.

Nicole said she's been sending him 7-8 questions a day, for days. your one question about OOTC gets lost among all hers about Stevie and Lindsey. few people interested and asking questions about Lindsey's solo work probably get way out-competed.

i don't care too much about deeply technical stuff since that's not my field and i wouldn't understand it anyway, but i do care about the process of shaping ideas into music, who came up with what and why. when somebody told the story about Lindsey writing down a sentence on the piece of paper, and then tearing that paper into individual words and giving everybody in the studio a word to build a part of a verse around it, i thought that was a great story (don't remember who told that story and whether it's even true?). i also care about what is behind certain personal stuff / statements that people like Ken managed to make about Lindsey, in particular.

personal stuff like Lindsey's worn out shoes and holes in his shirts and whether he cares about material wealth / appearances is also interesting to me. first because it's hard not to notice, and second because it shows a glimpse into the man shaping the art.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 08-25-2014, 08:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
if you read the rest of what i wrote (as well as what Nicole wrote) you'd have your answer:

because he is probably not asked nearly often enough about stuff like OOTC and Lindsey's solo work!! if we are curious and want certain answers, seems like we need to keep asking him for our questions to get through and he'll eventually answer.

Nicole said she's been sending him 7-8 questions a day, for days. your one question about OOTC gets lost among all hers about Stevie and Lindsey. few people interested and asking questions about Lindsey's solo work probably get way out-competed.

i don't care too much about deeply technical stuff since that's not my field and i wouldn't understand it anyway, but i do care about the process of shaping ideas into music, who came up with what and why. when somebody told the story about Lindsey writing down a sentence on the piece of paper, and then tearing that paper into individual words and giving everybody in the studio a word to build a part of a verse around it, i thought that was a great story (don't remember who told that story and whether it's even true?). i also care about what is behind certain personal stuff / statements that people like Ken managed to make about Lindsey, in particular.

personal stuff like Lindsey's worn out shoes and holes in his shirts and whether he cares about material wealth / appearances is also interesting to me. first because it's hard not to notice, and second because it shows a glimpse into the man shaping the art.

Oh I've submitted a bunch of OOTC questions. And I think others have asked quite a bunch too.

The holey shirt question was mine!! I didn't know he'd answered it, I gotta go see what he said LOL
Old 08-25-2014, 08:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oh I've submitted a bunch of OOTC questions. And I think others have asked quite a bunch too.

The holey shirt question was mine!! I didn't know he'd answered it, I gotta go see what he said LOL
great question and he gave you a nice answer too.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So I should bombard him with the same question like 8 times a day? there is (so far) only one topic I'm interested in (and I'm dying for specifics/pictures!). I guess I could try that. I just didn't want to be that annoying girl, and get blocked or something.
Just a dream, just a dream.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloMonster View Post
So I should bombard him with the same question like 8 times a day? there is (so far) only one topic I'm interested in (and I'm dying for specifics/pictures!). I guess I could try that. I just didn't want to be that annoying girl, and get blocked or something.
i don't know, maybe? i tried that approach and gave up and complained in one of the facebook groups how he wouldn't answer no matter which way i asked it. i don't know if a few people from that group then asked or what happened, but i found a very similar question answered the next day, so was finally happy.

sometimes though he answered my questions almost immediately. so it seems a bit random too, maybe if you catch him when he's online?

Old 08-25-2014, 08:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
i don't know, maybe? i tried that approach and gave up and complained in one of the facebook groups how he wouldn't answer. i don't know if a few people from that group then asked or what happened, but i found a very similar question answered the next day, so was finally happy.

sometimes though he answered my questions almost immediately. so it seems a bit random too, maybe if you catch him when he's online?
that seems to be a definite path to getting an answer. Maybe there are just so many questions in the pile it's hard to dig back through them all so they just grab the ones right off the top and figure they'll try and get to the others later…? anyway, he's answering still answering every day so that's good. I'm waiting for more photos though. Those give an interesting window into the behind the scenes life of the band.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloMonster View Post
I'm the same regarding certain questions/topics, and basically ask about it/them once a day and only once as I don't want to be too irritating. I try and wait til he's online and then post as many questions as I can at once, lol, some as myself and some as anonymous. I have been assuming they just take what's at the top of the pile when he gets online to answer.

"There’s nothing going on between you and me except that there will always be something going on between you and me. Until the day we die"
Old 08-25-2014, 09:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks guys, I will be relentless. I WILL get some answers (and hopefully pictures) if it's the last thing I ever do.
Just a dream, just a dream.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love that Richard has established this blog. It's almost like a living, interactive biography. He's so humble and honest, and he's sharing intimate private photos that have never been seen in public.

I'm socially media challenged. I joined Tumbler and have a password, but I have no idea how to become interactive in order to ask Richard an insightful question, once I have one.

He's been very diplomatic and patient with all the questions thrown at him. Most of the questions and comments are intelligent, high-minded and insightful, others are so inane, show a lack of class, and pander to tabloid journalism. What a waste of an opportunity!

So many obsessive questions about cocaine and their drug habits. And generally useless questions like "What is Stevie like?" One question was "Do you think Stevie and Lindsey will get back together " Another asked Richard "When will you stop taking drugs?" He smokes pot, leave him alone!; he's not there to be judged and morally castigated. He has a hell of a lot patience than I could ever muster.

Okay, now that I've blown off steam, can anybody share what I have to do to be able to post a question? Thanks ahead!

Last edited by PenguinHead; 08-25-2014 at 10:31 PM..
Old 08-25-2014, 10:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

i don't care too much about deeply technical stuff since that's not my field and i wouldn't understand it anyway, but i do care about the process of shaping ideas into music, who came up with what and why. when somebody told the story about Lindsey writing down a sentence on the piece of paper, and then tearing that paper into individual words and giving everybody in the studio a word to build a part of a verse around it, i thought that was a great story (don't remember who told that story and whether it's even true?).
I thought Lindsey said that was actually Richard's idea.

Michele