Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:26 PM
Junior Ledgie

Default Lindsey Buckingham and the Mystery of the Grower

I have read that with Lindsey's work, be it individual songs or whole albums, selections that are often off-putting at first eventually reward repeated listening. Indeed, for myself, I have found this to be true as well......except with Seeds We Sow (full album, not track). After over a month of listening now, I still just can't get into it in any way that even remotely resembles how I feel about the rest of his body of work. I also know that while many others can relate to the idea of LB's work growing on you over time, I am very much in the minority about that aspect of this particular album. All of this to ask; which of LB's songs or records took you the longest time to warm up to?

and........go.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

With the exception of the song, Trouble, Law and Order.
I heard it, for the first time in 1997 and...I'm still not even moderately luke warm.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
With the exception of the song, Trouble, Law and Order.
I heard it, for the first time in 1997 and...I'm still not even moderately luke warm.
Same here -- Law and Order. I bought it when it was released. Although I was impressed that he played all the intruments on it, I was confused by the disparate style of the songs. Trouble was the only song I really loved because it sounded most like a Fleetwood Mac song.

All these years later, I've come to love the album for what it is. I understand his approach. It holds a distinction among his other albums.

In my experience, aside from Out of the Cradle, all of his solo albums are growers.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 10-13-2011 at 09:49 PM..
Old 10-13-2011, 10:13 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Zach, for the most part, I still don't like Law & Order or Go Insane
Old 10-13-2011, 11:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm a bit more of a grower than a show... oh, this isn't the TMI thread? Oops, my bad!

I think Lindsey's Tusk songs took the longest for me to warm to. I recall initially dubbing a cassette tape of Tusk with all of the Lindsey songs cut out of it- that's how much I despised his songs initially. Now, thirty years later, I find his songs on that album indispensible.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:15 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
I think Lindsey's Tusk songs took the longest for me to warm to. I recall initially dubbing a cassette tape of Tusk with all of the Lindsey songs cut out of it- that's how much I despised his songs initially. Now, thirty years later, I find his songs on that album indispensible.
I may have done that once before as well... with the exception of Save Me A Place and Tusk
Old 10-13-2011, 11:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Oh good, I'm still weird.

I'm pretty sure I got all of LB's solo albums in order (starting in 98 or something). Loved all of them (UTS a little less) from the beginning. Especially loved Go Insane - I decided it was my absolute favorite album ever for about 5 years (and then it fought with Law and Order!). Also loved all LB's Tusk songs on the first listen.

I had a much harder time (still do) liking very much from Tango!

(On the other end of weird, one of the first FM albums after The Dance I really wanted to buy was Mirage. Until I got Tusk, I thought Mirage was the greatest FM album. )
Old 10-14-2011, 12:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

^ Guess I'm a weirdo, as well. Tango's my least favorite album that Buckingham was a part of too, and I think I might like Mirage more than Rumours even, though it doesn't beat Tusk.

On the solo work, I got Out of the Cradle first, about a year and a half ago, and thought it was pretty good, but it didn't make me wanna run out and get the rest of his solo albums. About a month later I bought L&O, which is my favorite of his still. I think it's because I loved Tusk and Mirage so much and, as chiliD puts it, there's a natural progression from Tusk to L&O to Mirage.

Only lately have I started to appreciate OotC.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Law and Order is still one that I'm getting used to. I got my first copy in 1988. In recent years, I like some songs better than I used to...especially 'I'll Tell You Now'.

I still can't warm up to 'Save Me a Place' from Tusk. I have tried to like it. It makes me sad that I dislike it.

I have also had a hard time getting used to GOS. It has plenty of good songs, but they don't seem to fit together.